First Round Draft Pick Is ...

Come draft time I always think of the old adage, “you never trade a dollar for 4 quarters.” If I have a super early pick, I’m not looking at need. I’m looking for a dollar. Bosa and Oliver jump out at me  (especially Bosa). Other guys may climb into that mix but get the best player at the top of the draft. 

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Really hoping we end up with pick #1 and the team sitting at 3 is desperate for a QB.  Picking up more draft picks while getting whoever is left over between Bosa and Oliver is a very enticing proposition.

I'd do that trade!

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:01 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Bills trade down in the first round and select :

OT Jonah Williams 6'5" 301 Alabama

"PROS: Size and strength are NFL-ready. Excellent footwork out of his stance, entering his pass set with no wasted movements or false steps. Adjusts his set points based on edge defender’s alignment. Patient in pass protection, waits for opponent to show his hands and then counters. Times up his strikes well to combat power. Explosive in his first step to build his house against wide nines. "

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jonah-williams/

I like it. Then we can move Dawkins to LG.

• Like (+1) 1

BPA, trading down when you lack elite talent period is a foolhardy mission that bad franchises do (Browns). If it’s D-Line, O-Line, WR, TE, or LB, doesn’t matter, just pick the best player that can contribute right away.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

As annoyed as I am with the conga line of talented CBs leaving us in FA, I do believe you need to keep taking that position so I agree.  The best run teams keep taking shots on pass rushers / CBs / WRs.

Really hoping we end up with pick #1 and the team sitting at 3 is desperate for a QB.  Picking up more draft picks while getting whoever is left over between Bosa and Oliver is a very enticing proposition.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd do that trade!

Shepard and/or Engram, pick 3 and a 2nd for the 1st pick. The Giants get the QB. We get Bosa or Oliver, at least one pass catcher and the 35th pick.

• Like (+1) 1

A trade down for a king's ransom.

Seriously. If it's a top 3 pick, there might be a team desperate enough to get the missing piece, hopefully some QB needy team looking for a bust.

I want a Rams/Goff trade down. A RGIII/Redskins deal.. And spam offense offense offense.. and maybe a Kyle Williams replacement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I don't follow college ball so i dont know the guy's physical appearance. Plus my point was more so the fact that we need a OBJ type player even if he comes with the divaness... If he can play like OBJ, he can be all the diva he wants to be is what I said...

A better comparison for him would be Brandin Cooks or Desean Jackson on the good side, Tavon Austin on the bad.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:21 AM, Fadingpain said:

You can build an all pro offensive line but if our QB play is no better than what we have received this year, our record will be the same.

Offensive tackle has very little impact on wins and losses.

Elite offensive lines make for elite offenses. Give a guy like Allen with that arm time? 

? % to the trenches 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/30/2018 at 9:10 AM, Pete said:

If we have a shot at Bosa or Oliver, I draft them(well after fielding calls).  After that-I am ok with every pick being Oline and WR

Yea you can't pass up game changers like that so I agree. But then after heavy O

20 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

On defense, if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse.  You have to improve the defense every year or it degrades quickly.    But beyond the one pick top 5, I would go all offense with the rest of the picks in rounds 2-4.  Then whatever needs we have from 5-7 

if we can move down and end up with an extra 2nd and 3rd, we could then take the 2 5ths and 2 7ths and turn them into 4ths.

wouldn't that make 9 out of 10 picks in the first 4 rds.?  yum

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

if we can move down and end up with an extra 2nd and 3rd, we could then take the 2 5ths and 2 7ths and turn them into 4ths.

wouldn't that make 9 out of 10 picks in the first 4 rds.?  yum

I love the idea of a bunch of picks between rounds 2-4 for sure.  There are only a couple guys I would pass that up for and they're pretty much Oliver and Bosa, which right now at 5 we're probably going to miss out on both.   

That also begs the question who is someone wanting to trade up for? If the QB/Bosa/Oliver are gone who are they looking to get?  

40 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I love the idea of a bunch of picks between rounds 2-4 for sure.  There are only a couple guys I would pass that up for and they're pretty much Oliver and Bosa, which right now at 5 we're probably going to miss out on both.   

That also begs the question who is someone wanting to trade up for? If the QB/Bosa/Oliver are gone who are they looking to get?  

I totally agree with this. At this point I have them on a level all on their own in this draft. If I end up at #3 or #4 and they are off the board then I am very much open for business in terms of trading back. I'd even consider moving back as far as the mid teens which is where I think (again based on preliminary work done so far) the next ledge is that you drop off.

EDIT: As for your other question.... I can see a team who has a pass rush need and has missed out on Bosa and Oliver getting desperate and falling in love with a 2nd tier pass rusher (of which there are still 3 or 4 very good prospects). The two Clemson kids, Rashan Gary from Michigan and Josh Allen (not that one) from Kentucky. You saw how much the Saints gave up last year in a weaker pass rush draft to get Marcus Davenport who is a raw, high ceiling guy. I don't think it is impossible that you could have takers at #s 3-6 in the draft. The question is whether they are willing to pay what you want to move back.

Edited by GunnerBill

We are going to be picking in top 5.

I would either:

A. Trade down to stockpile more picks.

B. Take Greg Little OT Ole Miss and have your franchise LT for the next decade to protect your hopefully Franchise QB Josh Allen. Kick Dawkins to RT

26 minutes ago, McBean said:

We are going to be picking in top 5.

I would either:

A. Trade down to stockpile more picks.

B. Take Greg Little OT Ole Miss and have your franchise LT for the next decade to protect your hopefully Franchise QB Josh Allen. Kick Dawkins to RT

Dawkins can't play RT if you are kicking him somewhere you should be kicking him inside to LG where I truly believe he could be elite. I don't have an opinion on Greg Little yet, I haven't watched him.

I am on board with the general approach if you end up drafting 3-5. If you are drafting 1-2 you have to pick the elite prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

On defense, if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse.  You have to improve the defense every year or it degrades quickly.    But beyond the one pick top 5, I would go all offense with the rest of the picks in rounds 2-4.  Then whatever needs we have from 5-7 

I would spend ONE pick in round 2-4 on defense and get ONE FA on defense. The rest your slamming on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I would spend ONE pick in round 2-4 on defense and get ONE FA on defense. The rest your slamming on offense.

It's all subject to BPA and who slides where.  If you see a guy rated as a 1st round pick in the 3rd and he's a CB, then why wait, take him.   I would focus on the offense, but not totally ignore value.   This draft and free agency period are not going to solve all our problems on offense or defense.   Should go a long way but this roster will never be perfect. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yes- one in the form of 6’2”, 220lbs, strong hands, good route running, above average speed, breaks tackles, and can make the first man miss. Is there an Eric Moulds type out there? 

lots of them, some taller as well.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/06/28/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-database/4/

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

A trade down for a king's ransom.

Seriously. If it's a top 3 pick, there might be a team desperate enough to get the missing piece, hopefully some QB needy team looking for a bust.

I want a Rams/Goff trade down. A RGIII/Redskins deal.. And spam offense offense offense.. and maybe a Kyle Williams replacement.

Harrison Phillips is Kyle's replacement.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Harrison Phillips is Kyle's replacement.

Well whatever.. Kings ransom. Tons of offense and maybe keep up a defensive depth luxury pick if some younger guys turn out to be a flash in the pan. That's what I want to see. Fill our holes through the draft with later picks so we have as much talent as possible under solid contracts.. sign FA's for the length of time Tre White starts expecting money essentially. Play it by ear after we start paying the first Beane/McD rooks ( and hope that these guys keep up the good drafting) 

Hard to tell if it's good drafting or just so many young players playing together, that it's easy to stand out among peers. Regardless it's great to have a lot of guys from the same consecutive (hopefully good) drafts grow together.. Seahawks style.

Still viscerally opposed to tanking as it's the NFL and time and time again, you're batting 500 for a stud top 5, 250 for a capable starter (is that what we want in a tank?), 250 for a guy that won't be on the roster for too long (way to waste a tank). 

Especially if we're filling in the O-Line.. we don't need a high pick to get guard/center depth but trade down and BAM we get that interior locked down. Draft our highest on WR, SIGN A VET WR. Overpay for him I don't care. I want to off-season to specifically set up JA to succeed (or allow for a serious evaluation of his long term skills) project QB or not, #7 overall QB should be ready to play and show he can be our guy year 2.. I'll be livid if we go another season "duhhhhh we don't know what we have in him.. erryone sucks"

• Like (+1) 1