Has the light finally gone on for Zay Jones?

KOKO NFL

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's hard to tell because the camera is a little blurry/it happens pretty quickly, but are my eyes deceiving me or does Zay call for Barkley to throw it up high for him and then Barkley literally throws it so low that Zay has to dive to the ground to catch it?

I think Zay is just indicating that he's open. 

On 10/29/2018 at 9:15 PM, QBorBust2018 said:

Bills don’t have a QB. Good luck with that. Jones is a bust 

QBorB, seems like you are all about busts, besides your name, I find contradiction in your post, how can someone (WR) be deemed a bust if he doesn't have a decent QB to throw to him...? 

Edited by BuffaLoko

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think Zay is just indicating that he's open. 

Definitely possible. Hard to tell if he's pointing up for a jump ball or just sticking his arm up to say he's open.

Regardless, this was by far the best Zay has ever looked

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He looks good. Hopefully we don't rest on our laurels and surround him with a couple of other good WR's in the Draft/FA this off season. 

I think he fits in good as the slot WR. Still need 2 outside WRs to complement. I would draft one high in the upcoming draft. The team is finally focusing on upgrading the speed at the WR position. It makes things easier for the QB when guys can get open in space. We were overloaded with possession WRs who had hard time getting separation. This makes things much more difficult on the QB when everything is being contested.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/29/2018 at 8:20 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Zay is and always has been a slot guy who needs to be used as a possession type receiver. When the Bills get a real outside wide receiver, Zay will only look better.

I'd say we're having exacerbated receiver by committee syndrome, but it's more like WR1 Deficiency...

KB and Zay are being forced into roles their talents aren't suited for. KB is misused as a WR1, Zay a 2, and Pryor at least doesn't give us too many formation penalties. If we can draft N'keal Harry or a similar WR1 talent, move KB to a hybrid receiving TE role, zay to the slot, and pryor/foster/whoever can fill out the 2's and depth of routes in various concepts. Having the 1 will allow KB to have those more favorable matchups where DB1's like Claiborne can't knock jump balls out of his hands when he brings them to the ground...Zay can finally get separation from nickelbacks and linebackers in mismatched sets and mesh concepts gouging teams for 10-15 yards if done right. And our WR1 can demand coverage and open the field for the rest of the roster. Watching N'keal Harry almost makes me want us to draft him over OL in the first for these reasons...but then there's the rest of the board thinking we're going to win the super bowl this year after beating the jets and sitting at 3-7 so maybe I'm the one getting ahead of myself...

Edited by ctk232

33 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I'd say we're having exacerbated receiver by committee syndrome, but it's more like WR1 Deficiency...

KB and Zay are being forced into roles their talents aren't suited for. KB is misused as a WR1, Zay a 2, and Pryor at least doesn't give us too many formation penalties. If we can draft N'keal Harry or a similar WR1 talent, move KB to a hybrid receiving TE role, zay to the slot, and pryor/foster/whoever can fill out the 2's and depth of routes in various concepts. Having the 1 will allow KB to have those more favorable matchups where DB1's like Claiborne can't knock jump balls out of his hands when he brings them to the ground...Zay can finally get separation from nickelbacks and linebackers in mismatched sets and mesh concepts gouging teams for 10-15 yards if done right. And our WR1 can demand coverage and open the field for the rest of the roster. Watching N'keal Harry almost makes me want us to draft him over OL in the first for these reasons...but then there's the rest of the board thinking we're going to win the super bowl this year after beating the jets and sitting at 3-7 so maybe I'm the one getting ahead of myself...

Uh you want to bring Benjamin back??

28 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Uh you want to bring Benjamin back??

Honestly I'm back and forth, but couldn't care either way. Given the amount of holes we have on our roster, though, you can't expect us to fill them all out in one year. At least not realistically. I know he's about to be an FA, and he hasn't contributed this year. But if he can be resigned for cheap on a one year prove it, or even two year with low cap repercussions, I'm all for giving our WR corps all the help it can get, even if it is KB. I wouldn't make it a priority, but I'd honestly rather have him than Pryor. I think we got the wool pulled over our eyes on that one as well. 

As for KB - he's a one-dimensional receiver being misused. His issue isn't his hands on the catch so much as it is protecting the ball through the catch. He could be very useful in 3rd down and red zone areas for those contested jump balls in more favorable matchups.

But looking ahead to the offseason, if he can be had for cheap, I don't feel like any other WR is worth the price we'd have to pay in FA outside of Funchess. And even if we somehow are able to land someone like N'Keal Harry in the first or second, who else is there to fill out the corps roster? Zay and then...Foster? Pryor? Ray Ray? McKenzie? Having a true 1 like Harry would be great, but all he would do is eat their DB1 and the rest of our corps would be just as worse off. We don't just need a WR1, we need a guy in addition to Zay to be able to contribute and give our developing QB some real options. If we land Funchess in FA then I'm more willing to part ways with Benjamin, but name another FA receiver worth the money we'd have to pay that would put us in an overall better situation.

49 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Honestly I'm back and forth, but couldn't care either way. Given the amount of holes we have on our roster, though, you can't expect us to fill them all out in one year. At least not realistically. I know he's about to be an FA, and he hasn't contributed this year. But if he can be resigned for cheap on a one year prove it, or even two year with low cap repercussions, I'm all for giving our WR corps all the help it can get, even if it is KB. I wouldn't make it a priority, but I'd honestly rather have him than Pryor. I think we got the wool pulled over our eyes on that one as well. 

As for KB - he's a one-dimensional receiver being misused. His issue isn't his hands on the catch so much as it is protecting the ball through the catch. He could be very useful in 3rd down and red zone areas for those contested jump balls in more favorable matchups.

But looking ahead to the offseason, if he can be had for cheap, I don't feel like any other WR is worth the price we'd have to pay in FA outside of Funchess. And even if we somehow are able to land someone like N'Keal Harry in the first or second, who else is there to fill out the corps roster? Zay and then...Foster? Pryor? Ray Ray? McKenzie? Having a true 1 like Harry would be great, but all he would do is eat their DB1 and the rest of our corps would be just as worse off. We don't just need a WR1, we need a guy in addition to Zay to be able to contribute and give our developing QB some real options. If we land Funchess in FA then I'm more willing to part ways with Benjamin, but name another FA receiver worth the money we'd have to pay that would put us in an overall better situation.

While KB may be being misused, and the QB play overall has been poor, those are not excuses for the effort level even casual fans are noticing on the field from this guy. 

Most everyone else on this bad team seems to not have a problem putting in their best efforts week after week. KB appears to think himself above that. Combine that with the catty nonsense he blurted out earlier this year about his former team and QB (who seem to be doing just fine without him) and sorry, I can’t agree with your take. Roll the dice and try to patch the WR corps’ holes next offseason, but Benjamin has to go. 

25 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

While KB may be being misused, and the QB play overall has been poor, those are not excuses for the effort level even casual fans are noticing on the field from this guy. 

Most everyone else on this bad team seems to not have a problem putting in their best efforts week after week. KB appears to think himself above that. Combine that with the catty nonsense he blurted out earlier this year about his former team and QB (who seem to be doing just fine without him) and sorry, I can’t agree with your take. Roll the dice and try to patch the WR corps’ holes next offseason, but Benjamin has to go. 

I'm not blind to the lack of effort and would certainly be contributory to me not caring if he goes. And I'm not trying to make the case to keep him either - I don't think a one-dimensional WR is worth ~9mil in the least, which is the larger, other reason I'd let him walk. But I just don't see us adding enough depth at WR without overpaying in FA outside of Funchess (who is looking to stay it would seem), and a draft pick (hopefully Harry), that would let us feel the least bit comfortable saying to Allen that these are the options he has to work with...

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

How can you possibly be back and forth on KB

This has nothing to do with him being slated as a number 1 (Barkely actually stopped throwing to him) this is about a player that literally cannot use the few traits he has to make plays to EVEN BE ON THE FIELD

KB is a big large bodied high catch radius body who cannot make a contested catch.....like ever....forget the fact that he does not have the speed to get open and is a injury risk because of his knees

The bills should say thank you and have a nice rest of your career after the season.....draft receiver early and often guys who CAN get separation on the field and will make contested grabs

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

I'm not blind to the lack of effort and would certainly be contributory to me not caring if he goes. And I'm not trying to make the case to keep him either - I don't think a one-dimensional WR is worth ~9mil in the least, which is the larger, other reason I'd let him walk. But I just don't see us adding enough depth at WR without overpaying in FA outside of Funchess (who is looking to stay it would seem), and a draft pick (hopefully Harry), that would let us feel the least bit comfortable saying to Allen that these are the options he has to work with...

Well we’ll see. I’ve seen enough of KB around these parts, but I was never a huge fan of him in the first place.

All aboard with drafting Harry. As far as “overpaying,” that’s simply based on perpective and I could care less if Beane subjectively overpays for a free agent WR if it turns into production. Ain’t my money, and they’ve enough of Terry’s to go out and do something. 

On 10/29/2018 at 11:26 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's none of quick, fast, or explosive.  There is no suddenness to his game that threatens opposing defenses.  He has to win by scheme for the most part.  Not very impressive to me. 

He's a valuable asset if surrounded by more physically talented receivers. He's a good route runner and his hands are winning me over.