Using "We/Us/etc" When Talking About Your Sports Team

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For the amount of time, money, and energy Ive spent on this team over the last 35 years, I'll refer to them however I want. Especially for the return on investment.

I am more of a "Bill" than most current players who dont know anything about the team prior to 2008, as are most fans here.

That's how I feel. I have friends that although they actually attended/work for UH, have never attended a single sporting event. Hell, between every football game I attend, which includes at least 2 sometimes 5-6 hours of pre game tailgating, and 3-4 baseball games a week, and the occasional basketball game, I spend more time on campus than a good portion of the student body. 

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That's how I feel. I have friends that although they actually attended/work for UH, have never attended a single sporting event. Hell, between every football game I attend, which includes at least 2 sometimes 5-6 hours of pre game tailgating, and 3-4 baseball games a week, and the occasional basketball game, I spend more time on campus than a good portion of the student body. 

Yeah, wrt your question/situation, call them whatever you want. After 8 years they should give you an honorary doctorate in fandom.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Had a discussion with someone the other day. When is it appropriate to say "We won" or "They beat us" etc. as a fan of a team? Some say never. Personally, I think it's fine as long as your consistant. You can't say "We won" when it's good, but "The Bills lost" when they're bad. I've been a Bills and Sabres fan for my entire life. Grew up there, went to games, been through the good and the bad.

Moved to Houston when I was 20, about 8 years ago. Started attending University of Houston football games. Eventually bought season tickets for both the football and baseball teams. Some have said that I shouldn't say "we" since I'm not a student/alumni/athlete/faculty member. But I support the teams more than most of them do. I don't make donations to the school, other than buying my tickets. 

When I first moved here, my cousins played football and softball for their high school. Got to know most of the kids on the teams too. So at the time, I would refer to them as we, since I did have a personal connection. Still go to the games, but since I don't know any of the kids on the team, I now say them. 

You didn’t do ***** bro.

I use both interchangeably...I think I use the 'we/us/our' first person plural personal pronouns when discussing football with other Bills fans, and the 'they'them/their' third person plural personal pronouns in casual conversation or with fans of other teams. I don't end up losing a lot of sleep over it either way.

fan is short for fanatic.  Why shouldn't we say we?  The team is part of the community.  Where do you draw the line?  Can Thurman Thomas say "my Bills"?  What about Lonnie Johnson?  Billy Joe Hobert? What about the Green Bay citizens that own the Packers?  My Bills have a good D, but will be lucky to win 5 games.  And My Sabres have turned the corner, and their arrow is pointed up

8 hours ago, T&C said:

I'll crap my pants if we win tonight...

You got lucky???

You can say “we” if you are deeply invested emotionally and/or financially. It’s entertainment, these are your guys. It’s why we’re here. Take the good with the bad, and don’t be a bandwagon jerk. 

35 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I have no use for it. And if I’m feeling frisky, I’ll probably comment if you’re doing it.

Mister Fishmonger,please explain the difference between the taste of a sardine compared to a anchovie.

Signed,

KC &The Sunshine Band

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Augie said:

You got lucky???

You can say “we” if you are deeply invested emotionally and/or financially. It’s entertainment, these are your guys. It’s why we’re here. Take the good with the bad, and don’t be a bandwagon jerk. 

Not lucky enough... I could feel it building throughout the 3rd quarter though. The muscles tightened heading into the 4th quarter... the dump was not to be. 

On 10/29/2018 at 2:40 PM, Gavin in Va Beach said:

So the General Manager can't say it?

I believe a team is comprised of many moving parts; players, coaches, admin/support staff, and fans. All of them can say 'we'. Remove the fans, and there are no players, coaches, and admin/support staff. We pay them in money and energy, and sacrifice time to support them.

That "suit" is technically a uniform for the team.