Using "We/Us/etc" When Talking About Your Sports Team

Had a discussion with someone the other day. When is it appropriate to say "We won" or "They beat us" etc. as a fan of a team? Some say never. Personally, I think it's fine as long as your consistant. You can't say "We won" when it's good, but "The Bills lost" when they're bad. I've been a Bills and Sabres fan for my entire life. Grew up there, went to games, been through the good and the bad.

Moved to Houston when I was 20, about 8 years ago. Started attending University of Houston football games. Eventually bought season tickets for both the football and baseball teams. Some have said that I shouldn't say "we" since I'm not a student/alumni/athlete/faculty member. But I support the teams more than most of them do. I don't make donations to the school, other than buying my tickets. 

When I first moved here, my cousins played football and softball for their high school. Got to know most of the kids on the teams too. So at the time, I would refer to them as we, since I did have a personal connection. Still go to the games, but since I don't know any of the kids on the team, I now say them. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Unless you once wore a uniform for that team, never.

So the General Manager can't say it?

I believe a team is comprised of many moving parts; players, coaches, admin/support staff, and fans. All of them can say 'we'. Remove the fans, and there are no players, coaches, and admin/support staff. We pay them in money and energy, and sacrifice time to support them.

Its always a tough concept for people to comprehend but , I will use the Bills as an example...

If you grew up a Bills fan, hardcore since you were 4... it’s your favorite time of year, you buy gear, season tickets and invest time, money and energy in the team, you can surely say we or my team... it is your team in a sense... not in a possession way but almost spiritual 

Trust me , Bama fans say my team, Red Sox fans say my team, Packers and so on

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Any hot b!tches?

There is one. Just one. She is also the devil. She is Satan.  She is terrible.

6', blonde hair, green eyes, yoga instructor, college athlete, no soul, body like you'd never believe, sweet and fun, kills children and punches old people in the face.

The rest are nothing special. But, if you're in the neighborhood and want a workout the smokeshows at Lifetime Champions over towsrds Cypress are worth it.

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Its always a tough concept for people to comprehend but , I will use the Bills as an example...

If you grew up a Bills fan, hardcore since you were 4... it’s your favorite time of year, you buy gear, season tickets and invest time, money and energy in the team, you can surely say we or my team... it is your team in a sense... not in a possession way but almost spiritual 

Trust me , Bama fans say my team, Red Sox fans say my team, Packers and so on

I was an Indians fan at one time, which was because Buffalo used to be their AAA team. My dad got mad when I would say "we won" because I wasn't from Cleveland, but loved the team win or lose at the time. 

I'm an Astros fan now. I didn't jump on the bandwagon when they started playing well. It was back when I could get tickets for $5. They were my NL team, while the Indians were my AL team, and I still rooted for the Indians at one point during an interleauge series. But by the time the Astros switched leagues, they still sucked. But the Indians had ended their partnership with Buffalo, and I didn't recognize anybody on the roster as former Bisons. I realized I'd slowly lost interest in the Indians and gradually realized that I was an Astros fan. 

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was an Indians fan at one time, which was because Buffalo used to be their AAA team. My dad got mad when I would say "we won" because I wasn't from Cleveland, but loved the team win or lose at the time. 

I'm an Astros fan now. I didn't jump on the bandwagon when they started playing well. It was back when I could get tickets for $5. They were my NL team, while the Indians were my AL team, and I still rooted for the Indians at one point during an interleauge series. But by the time the Astros switched leagues, they still sucked. But the Indians had ended their partnership with Buffalo, and I didn't recognize anybody on the roster as former Bisons. I realized I'd slowly lost interest in the Indians and gradually realized that I was an Astros fan. 

Remember , without the “fanatics” the game wouldn’t be played

They are their to put on a show for us

31 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Unless you once wore a uniform for that team, never.

A GM in hockey or football doesn't wear a uniform, but probably gets a paycheque signed by the team.  'We'? Sort of.  This logic, however, rapidly weakens when you're the third junior accountant.

my daughter is an FAU Alumni, and we go to FAU football games.   I paid them money, when i talk about FAU football I say WE because some of my money went to that university.   

All these rednecks talkin about "them Gatas" up here near Gainesville probably  don't have a high school diploma much less a degree.  But you see that stupid emblem all over the place. 

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I used to laugh at people referring to the Bills as "we" or "us" but now I'm one of those people.  I think its a function of how much you find yourself talking about the team and basic word economy. 

If you spent money on them, jerseys, tickets, memorabilia, you have a vested interest in the team, and it's your team.   so I think you can say we. 

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I used to laugh at people referring to the Bills as "we" or "us" but now I'm one of those people.  I think its a function of how much you find yourself talking about the team and basic word economy. 

If you lived in Buffalo for your whole life and saw Games at the rockpile... and the eclectic company and OJ

and you used to buy Reuben Brown beers at big tree I think “we” is acceptable 

Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills are one and the same and a huge part of the city 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you lived in Buffalo for your whole life and saw Games at the rockpile... and the eclectic company and OJ

and you used to buy Reuben Brown beers at big tree I think “we” is acceptable 

Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills are one and the same and a huge part of the city 

What if you lived your whole life in Rochester, NY until 4 years ago, used to watch games at Ralph Wilson Stadium, threw a beer at Preston Brown and love to eat Reuben sandwiches?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What if you lived your whole life in Rochester, NY until 4 years ago, used to watch games at Ralph Wilson Stadium, threw a beer at Preston Brown and love to eat Reuben sandwiches?

Like I said . Bills fandom is probably unlike any other thing in the world 

it really is a family reunion with 80 thousand people. Strangers become my best friends on sundays

so yes , you are of course part of the family my friend ?

For the amount of time, money, and energy Ive spent on this team over the last 35 years, I'll refer to them however I want. Especially for the return on investment.

I am more of a "Bill" than most current players who dont know anything about the team prior to 2008, as are most fans here.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2