Including the Bills, what year did all your favorite teams have the most aggregate success?

Bing Bong

I realize I don't have much to work with, I go:

Bills, Knicks, Syracuse basketball, Texas CFB.

2002-2003: Melo gets Boeheim's one and only Syracuse championship! One of the most fun fan experiences of my life. 

Bills were just fun to watch, AFCE was a tight race, I was constantly checking the standings, and they had one of my favorite Bills since being a fan, Eric Moulds! Plus Reed and Price and Bledsoe.. just a fun year to watch even if they didn't quite make it.

Texas: 11-2 and Cedric Benson was a college monster. Really thought he'd be an elite NFL RB. Solid roster but just weren't good enough. Plus no college playoffs was super lame.

Knicks: not a good year. Sprewell was fun to watch and I love watching basketball anyway, they were a far cry better from most of the Knicks teams in my lifetime. Which is sad..

But in retrospect, I had fun with all four of my teams, and having only 2 championships between Cuse and Texas in my lifetime makes the 2002-2003 sports year extra special.

Honorable mention: 90s Bills and Knicks. Syracuse was always a good team those days, Texas wasn't up to snuff.. but no championships sadly. Wasn't around at the time, but I've watched so many old 90s Bills and Knicks games. Those Knicks were gangster, big, physical, tough, and made Madison Square Garden a scary place to play psycopaths like Oakley and Mason.

Texas won an amazing 'ship but I think every other team was hot garbage in 2005.

What are yours? From all the teams and sports you follow what year had the most satisfying fan experience for you based on how you weighted each team? I'm obviously Bills, as we all are lol, but there wasn't much to choose from given the start of my fandom at basically 2001 or 2002.

I love hearing these stories down memory lane.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

1980 US Olympic Hockey team. Nothing will ever top that for me including the Bills & Sabres. 

Yeah one championship can really satisfy your fandom. I suppose I could add the US World Cup team had it's best performance ever in 2002 summer

The 30 for 30 on the Soviet perspective on that game is really good.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GRHater69 said:

Yes I saw that, it was interesting to say the least. Russian hockey was a different beast. Did you ever see the HBO special on the US team? 

No should I? There was a movie on it I believe that gave me shivers of sheer pride every time I watched the ending part of the game. Felt that way on the Olympic Lochte relay where he made that superhuman swimming acceleration to win and get Phelps his gold medal record.

25 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

1980 US Olympic Hockey team. Nothing will ever top that for me including the Bills & Sabres. 

Probably the best party of my life, as a junior in college some fools rented us what were then BIG TV’s, and half of SW Ohio came by to watch that. We lived in what was effectively Animal House, and it was glorious! (Except for the filth and poverty and debauchery....well maybe that part was OK.) 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Probably the best party of my life, as a junior in college some fools rented us what were then BIG TV’s, and half of SW Ohio came by to watch that. We lived in what was effectively Animal House, and it was glorious! (Except for the filth and poverty and debauchery....well maybe that part was OK.) 

Wasn't the game upstate? I think my dad is still pissed to this day he went stayed in to study rather than see the game live with his friends.

Was kind of hoping for Bama dude and YOLO to chirp in, all Dem Celtics fans. Interesting to see what teams other Bills fans follow because we're all over the place with our other teams (other than Sabres)

1983/84 seasons (Sept '83 - June '84)

Orioles won the World Series

Celtics won the NBA Championship 

Bills were 8-8 (just before the bottom fell out, but we did draft Jim Kelly, although we wouldn't see him play for a few years)

Syracuse Orange basketball team went 23-9, 2nd in Big East, and made it to the regional semi-finals in the tourney

I too remember the 1980 US Hockey team beating the Russians. My entire extended family were crammed into our family room watching it together. Best single sporting event ever for me, due to my age, how much of an underdog the US team was, and the patriotism of the moment. Nadia scoring perfect 10s in gymnastics in '76 Montreal games was pretty big too (my sister was a very good gymnast, so our family watched a lot of gymnastics).

90-93 Bills run, Pirates were great with Leyland at the helm, although heartbreaking finishes st the hands of the Braves back to back, and the Pens were awesome with super Mario. Other than the Pens, who are perennially competitive, I had no idea how lucky I was to see such good results from my teams at the time—the Bills and the Pirates would both go on to outduel each other for longest dry spells of course, fun stuff!

Makes me want to post every tournment champs run of my Grandson's soccer team....and one flag football championship. But that would bore you folks to death. Haha

2020....when the Bills won the Superbowl and Sabs won the Cup....that was an amazing year........oh wait. 

1974-75

Buffalo Braves, Sabres and Bills and in college hoops UCLA Bruins.

Going with either the '74 or '75 Bills, the '74 team made the playoffs, had the thrilling Monday Night win vs. Raiders, and in '75 were only 8-6 but OJ ran for over 1,800 yards and set the TD record with 23. Braxton had over 800 yards that year.

'74-75 Sabres made the Stanley Cup finals and lost to Flyers but that team was fun. They had 9 players score at least 20 goals and that was the peak for the French Connection. 

'74-75 Braves were really good, McAdoo led the league in scoring but Ernie D got hurt and that may have prevented them from advancing deep into the playoffs. Jack Ramsay was the coach, they were just a lot of fun to watch play. Randy Smith emerged as an excellent player after being a 7th round pick from Buff State.

John Wooden is my coaching idol and in his last season as coach they won another national championship in '75 beating Kentucky. Ironically it may have been Wooden's least talented team in years but they went 28-3. 

Only 1 championship but Sabres made the finals and the Bills and Braves were very entertaining. 

Edited by jwhit34
  • Like (+1) 1

Without a doubt 1990-1993

Bills/Sabres/Knicks/Oakland A's all in the playoffs. It's never happened again for me. 

The Bills being my #1 team in my #1 sport made this easy. What a time to be a fan. Except for the misery of losing those Super Bowls. But every week in that era you could watch Bills football and see some great football on both sides of the ball.  Now, it's so hard to sit through a game this year, especially when we have the ball. 

1964 - 1965, Bills AFL, Dodgers MLB, Celtics NBA - all champs, just the Maple Leafs fell short! The best run for sports in my life plus young and playing baseball, football and basketball!

The 1972 Sabres  (Third year) season, the fourth seed to the NHL playoffs and played the Canadien's pretty hard. The final loss in game six in the Aud and the crowd chanting "Thank You Sabres."