Sal Maiorana: Tremaine Edmunds "A Legit Star in the Making"

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

he is playing prety good.....right now....and is still very young.

Imagine as he continues to grow into his man body and gets older and gets more experience?   This guy is going to several pro bowls

Up til last week, he was.  He was picked on last week.  He and Milano looked pretty bad from my seat on the couch.  Seemed to like reich told luck to attack those guys all day and he did.  Poyer also missed on a few crucial plays

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Up til last week, he was.  He was picked on last week.  He and Milano looked pretty bad from my seat on the couch.  Seemed to like reich told luck to attack those guys all day and he did.  Poyer also missed on a few crucial plays

Unfortunately the tragectory of a rookie player is not in increments up....it is often up and down especially in the rookie year.

There have been times this year where he looked like our best defensive player on the field as well

• Like (+1) 1

Sal Maiorana: Tremaine Edmunds "A Legit Star in the Making"

Sal Maiorana: Someone whose opinion no one really cares about.

Same goes for me, except for my wife and kids......I think ? :blush: 

Edited by I am the egg man

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

But would you rather have Calvin Ridley and your choice of who was ever there at 65?

Loaded question, no win scenario. Take Ridley and everyone shifts gears to, "OMG, they neglected the linebackers AGAIN! This team is gonna get gashed for billions of run yards this season! Milano was a fluke, Alexander is ancient, fire McBeane!!!" Take Edmunds and we get what we got now, "This team neglected the receiver group!" Can't fix it all in one draft or one off-season.

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Unfortunately the tragectory of a rookie player is not in increments up....it is often up and down especially in the rookie year.

There have been times this year where he looked like our best defensive player on the field as well

The path to success is never a straight line.

And yes, this kid is gonna be a good one. Aside from typical rookie mistakes he's made, all the talk on him from coaches to teammates has been overwhelmingly positive. "He doesn't make the same mistake twice," "He's a Hall of Famer," (obviously it's a bit early to be calling that but one of his teammates, I think Tre' White actually, was that psyched about him) etc. etc. I think he's only gonna get better. He's leading in tackles, he's forced two or three fumbles, broke up a few passes. He pops up in some fashion during every game, soon hopefully those flashes will be big time plays like sacks and picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Loaded question, no win scenario. Take Ridley and everyone shifts gears to, "OMG, they neglected the linebackers AGAIN! This team is gonna get gashed for billions of run yards this season! Milano was a fluke, Alexander is ancient, fire McBeane!!!" Take Edmunds and we get what we got now, "This team neglected the receiver group!" Can't fix it all in one draft or one off-season.

The path to success is never a straight line.

And yes, this kid is gonna be a good one. Aside from typical rookie mistakes he's made, all the talk on him from coaches to teammates has been overwhelmingly positive. "He doesn't make the same mistake twice," "He's a Hall of Famer," (obviously it's a bit early to be calling that but one of his teammates, I think Tre' White actually, was that psyched about him) etc. etc. I think he's only gonna get better. He's leading in tackles, he's forced two or three fumbles, broke up a few passes. He pops up in some fashion during every game, soon hopefully those flashes will be big time plays like sacks and picks.

ppl so easily forget that the word on the board was our linebackers were sorely lacking.....then Preston Brown left in free agency.

Nobody is saying that now......

• Like (+1) 1

He clearly has the talent to be a unique player at MLB.

But the great ones make the "wow" plays and also make all the "routine" ones with ease and consistency............and it's hard to tell if he will get to the point where he makes all the routine plays.  

He's very young but it's not like he's entirely new to the position.......and it's not typically a position where you see players start out as green as he is.........often the good ones hit the ground running in the NFL so he's also unique in that regard.

I could foresee a situation where the Bills get a more efficient/instinctive MLB and then Edmunds gets moved outside in what initially seems like a win-win situation.

But then once outside the coaching staff thinks his skills are kind of wasted there......and they want to see if he can be a full-time pass rusher...........so then he ends up getting moved again to a position where he may or may not be exceptional.

He could end up being an Anthony Barr.........good but not so good that you are all-in organizationally on the idea of paying him top dollar.

That would be a Billsy-fail but hopefully he makes the huge strides needed next year.     He's a playmaker just not reliable and that won't work for long at MLB. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Better learn how to play pass defense a little better or that star will fade off quickly 

uh, he's been pretty strong on that front!

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He could end up being an Anthony Barr.........

I don't think any QBs will be hurdling him...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yep....it was explained that this was what the McD was looking for from his MLB and why Preston Brown was allowed to leave.....Edmunds is a absolute freak AND so young and still filling out his body the finish product should be a absolute monster that you have to account for on every play

As it is right now he always seems to be around the ball

...and he’s forced the ball lose on multiple occasions. Let’s hope THAT continues! 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

He's going to be a star for us no doubt and to think he's only 20 years old is quite exciting. We have our Keuchly I believe.

If Edmunds AND Allen reach their potential, this will be a draft for the ages. The stuff of legends. Bigger to us than the ‘83 QB draft. (I’m NOT saying it will happen, and Allen still has a longer way to go, but just IF.) 

I have to say I am not seeing what others are seeing. I loved the kid coming out as well... big jump on 2017 tape compared to his 2016 tape but I think he has been the worst regular starter on the defense so far (so excluding the turnstile of guys at the 2nd outside corner spot). His althleticism is impressive and he is out there flying around but he is usually using it to make up for his own mis-reads and bad angles. 

Look I am not calling the kid a bust, far from it but I think it is horribly premature to call him a "legit star". He has a long way to go and a lot of learning to do. If he can do that learning the ceiling is sky high because physically he has everything you want. 

I don't think he becomes Anthony Barr either. I think the Bills will stick with him at MLB. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He clearly has the talent to be a unique player at MLB.

But the great ones make the "wow" plays and also make all the "routine" ones with ease and consistency............and it's hard to tell if he will get to the point where he makes all the routine plays.  

He's very young but it's not like he's entirely new to the position.......and it's not typically a position where you see players start out as green as he is.........often the good ones hit the ground running in the NFL so he's also unique in that regard.

I could foresee a situation where the Bills get a more efficient/instinctive MLB and then Edmunds gets moved outside in what initially seems like a win-win situation.

But then once outside the coaching staff thinks his skills are kind of wasted there......and they want to see if he can be a full-time pass rusher...........so then he ends up getting moved again to a position where he may or may not be exceptional.

He could end up being an Anthony Barr.........good but not so good that you are all-in organizationally on the idea of paying him top dollar.

That would be a Billsy-fail but hopefully he makes the huge strides needed next year.     He's a playmaker just not reliable and that won't work for long at MLB. 

I don't see them moving him.  The modern NFL defense only plays two LBs.  Milano is doing too well at OLB for the Bills to play games with Edmunds.  If they drafted another MLB, I think it would only be for depth.  

Of course, he makes mistakes.  He's a freaking 20 year old rookie.  But he's taking on far more responsibility that most young rookies would be entrusted with, and he's doing a lot of things well.  He's learning as he goes, and he's already significantly better than his first game.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Of course, he makes mistakes.  He's a freaking 20 year old rookie.  But he's taking on far more responsibility that most young rookies would be entrusted with, and he's doing a lot of things well.  He's learning as he goes, and he's already significantly better than his first game.

...whoa!...we're talking SEVEN GAMES in as a large enough sample of work to judge a 20 year old a potential or assured bust.....TBD's "One & Done Gang" has spoken.......I'd rather get drafted by a leper colony versus coming here to walk this red carpet gang plank, dodging all of the pigeon droppings....

Get out of here with that type of positivity! Don't you know the instant gratification crowd wants all offense, all the time NAO!!!! Defense no longer wins championships... get a no-huddle, air raid offense and watch the Lombardi trophies pile up. No need for defense! Trade Edmunds for Tyreek Hill NAO! Git er' done McBeane!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree. He has the potential to be the best MLB in the league . A cornerstone of this D for the Future. 

But am I the only one that saw Indy pick in him pretty consistently. Shades of week 2 vs LA , where they picked on him for the whole first half. But at 20 years of age and being a rookie at MLB , these things happen....

With that said , His teammates and coaches have also consistently said , since Training camp, that he rarely makes same mistake twice , always learning n getting better.. I expect him to be an All pro by 2020. Pro Bowler by next year.

If we can get Oliver or Bosa or an elite DL , this D is set . Stud MLB, check. Legit shutdown, already top 10 CB , check.  Legit top 10 pass rusher, check. Legit top 3 safety Duo, check. Legit stud nickel cb, check. 

Then there's Milano ( flashes elite potential) , Murphy , Star who are all playing above average.  And Lorax who like Hughes is playing outta his mind .( Didn't mention him because I'm not sure if he'll be here next year).   Lawson , who is quietly playing much better. Both Phillips playing good, with ton of potential. Get Oliver on that line , a legit #2 cb and some depth pieces and u got a top 5 defense for years. 

I Love what this staff has built on THAT SIDE. They built it with LONG TERM success in mind.