Red Dead Redemption 2

DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I played a bit this weekend.

The controls, inventory menus and controls, and interface are very overwhelming.  The early 'tutorial' chapter wasnt well designed IMO and way too much slow slogging on horseback (or foot) from point A to point B.  I fell asleep a bunch of times during that, and I think I missed a lot of control-tutorials because it tells you what to do quickly in small letters in the top right of the screen, as you are in a gunfight.  It feels the controls are 'slow'.

I have graduated to the open world.  It looks better.  Glad to be out of the snow storm.  Still a bit overwhelming.

I felt really overwhelmed too when I started with Witcher 3, and eventually I would call that the best console game ever made.

The weapons/inventory wheel is a PITA.  

Gameplay is decent.  Few things I really hate:

1.  Too easy to draw your gun and fire it, especially when on a horse.  Did this in a town a few times and got the cops after me for a public disturbance.  Ended up with a large bounty!

2.  Ran around a corner and accidentally slammed my horse into a citizen and killed him.  Yup, ended up with another bounty.

3.  Horse can’t go a long distance at a decent speed without losing all its energy.  Ned to keep using the horse revive....if you have any.

4.  Ran into the rival gang on a bridge.  Was wasted quickly because the repeater takes too long to load.  Understand it’s probably more realistic, but getting killed easily.  Every time you die, lose between 9 and 10 bucks.

5.  Cant hold up stage coaches without a witness showing up.  If you kill him, another witness witnesses the killing of the witness...  And yup, more bounty!

Playing the 2nd chapter now.  Seems like a good game.  Graphics are amazing at times.  

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

1.  Too easy to draw your gun and fire it, especially when on a horse.  Did this in a town a few times and got the cops after me for a public disturbance.  Ended up with a large bounty!

2.  Ran around a corner and accidentally slammed my horse into a citizen and killed him.  Yup, ended up with another bounty.

3.  Horse can’t go a long distance at a decent speed without losing all its energy.  Ned to keep using the horse revive....if you have any.

4.  Ran into the rival gang on a bridge.  Was wasted quickly because the repeater takes too long to load.  Understand it’s probably more realistic, but getting killed easily.  Every time you die, lose between 9 and 10 bucks.

5.  Cant hold up stage coaches without a witness showing up.  If you kill him, another witness witnesses the killing of the witness...  And yup, more bounty!

Playing the 2nd chapter now.  Seems like a good game.  Graphics are amazing at times.  

When I ran across the final gang on the bridge I stopped my horse ... when they were telling me to give up and such I equipped my lightable dynamite and chucked it at them!

the survivors were dealt with quickly!

https://games.slashdot.org/story/18/10/30/2043221/how-to-make-more-cash-from-one-game-than-10-james-bond-films

Red Dead Redemption 2 broke records in its first three days on sale, pulling in more than $725 million in worldwide retail sales and achieving the biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment, developer Rockstar Games announced.

• Like (+1) 1

I had the day off after going to the monday night game, so I bought this game and hit download in the morning hoping to get a couple hours of play time in before the wife and kids got home.  I ended up playing like 20 mins, but liked what I have seen so far

On 10/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

It's finally here!

Who's playing it all weekend?

Anyone been playing it since midnight last night? (Get some sleep, nerd!)

Getting it now. Hope it'll be done by the time I get home. Any tips for some one new to the series?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Getting it now. Hope it'll be done by the time I get home. Any tips for some one new to the series?

Oh man, I've meant to come back to this thread and check in, but I've been too busy playing Red Dead! :thumbsup:

No big deal if you are just starting the Red Dead series now. This is a Prequel to RDR, so while there are some nostalgic things, they are small and inconsequential to the game's storyline.

Going to read the rest of the posts here that I've missed the past few days and respond more....

On 10/29/2018 at 11:06 AM, May Day 10 said:

I played a bit this weekend.

The controls, inventory menus and controls, and interface are very overwhelming.  The early 'tutorial' chapter wasnt well designed IMO and way too much slow slogging on horseback (or foot) from point A to point B.  I fell asleep a bunch of times during that, and I think I missed a lot of control-tutorials because it tells you what to do quickly in small letters in the top right of the screen, as you are in a gunfight.  It feels the controls are 'slow'.

I have graduated to the open world.  It looks better.  Glad to be out of the snow storm.  Still a bit overwhelming.

I felt really overwhelmed too when I started with Witcher 3, and eventually I would call that the best console game ever made.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:36 PM, davefan66 said:

I would say both of the first 2 Chapters are actually Tutorial levels. Action picks up in Chapter 3, and then really takes off (so Ive heard) in 4 and 5.

I'm also taking my sweet time with the main story line. Got the game the day it came out and am just now finishing Chaper 2 officially. I've spent a lot of time hunting in order to sharpen my shooting skills, and have gotten pretty good at sniping moving targets from horseback. I'm in no big hurry to finish this game and want to make it last me until Christmas.

Couple of tips for Traveling and Riding your horse:

1. If you press X (PS4) in rhythm with your horses gallup, the stamina will not decrease as much. It will still decrease over long rides, but barely. It can be tough to find that rhythm, but once you get the hang of it, it makes it much easier.
  2. The biggest thing I've found for making travel on horseback easier is Setting Cinematic Cameras. Open the map and set a waypoint, get your horse going along the red path, and then active Cinematic mode. The system will keep your speed AND auto-steer along the path. You can get up and hit the kitchen and bathroom while your character rides. One caveat there, it will NOT prevent gang ambushes. But so far, I havent had any issues running into one while in Cine Mode.

As far as witnesses go... I hate them. But I've found killing them with a bow and arrow (silent weapons), and making sure you quickly move bodies, can help prevent "Witness Build Up" as I like to call it.

There are so many other awesome little things I've found or discovered, I dont know where to even start. It's crazy that they are able to make such detailed immersive games like this.

Also, ***** Micah.

There is a glitch that lets you get $15,000 (30 gold bars x $500 each).  If you do it right you can do it continuously for about $45k per hour cash.  Not gonna post it here because it maybe considered an exploit, but you can Google it if you're interested

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Did you find it?

Yeah, it's a bit of a ride but worth it. Save it when you get close to the lake and be sure to walk towards the horse with it targeted (study it first, then you can calm it as you walk towards it). Took me a few tries before I figured out I had to study it first.

47 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a ride but worth it. Save it when you get close to the lake and be sure to walk towards the horse with it targeted (study it first, then you can calm it as you walk towards it). Took me a few tries before I figured out I had to study it first.

I wonder if using the scent mask and dropping herbivore bait might draw him closer and calmer

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's a great call. It might work with how detailed the game is. I didn't try it though, but it's worth a shot.

Unless this game includes a scene where a senior slams you into a wall and shuts you in your locker, it lacks realism.

• Haha (+1) 2

On to chapter 3.  I've spent way too much time buying clothes.  Rocking a sweet dark red / maroon hat and jacket, the french blue shirt, some dark grayish pants, and some nice boots with some red in them as well at the moment.  I like to look like a dignified outlaw, Doc Holliday style.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

I like it better now that I am playing Chapter 2.  

I do think a lot of the controls are wonky.  I was trying to arm my bow while I was in camp to go hunting (Where TF is it)?  I was raiding my horse inventory, looking at weapon/item wheels, accidentally eating and drinking things.... only to figure out I needed to be a certain distance away from camp before weapons 'appeared'.

Someone is conversing and my character has to stare at it, forcing him to walk at an incredibly slow pace which is annoying.  Sometimes the character or horse get stuck in strange movement patterns or directions.

I also don't like how, in order to get gold on missions, you need to slog on with a lot of "trip" and dialogue.  Typical Rockstar/GTA has always allowed you to "skip" the trips.