Bills tried to sign WR Isaiah McKenzie off Broncos PS; claim on waivers

YoloinOhio

After waiving quarterback Chad Kelly, the Broncos had an open spot on their 53-man roster. Denver filled that spot by promoting wide receiver/punt returner Isaiah McKenzie from the practice squad to the active roster.

To take McKenzie’s spot on the practice squad, the Broncos signed quarterback Garrett Grayson, a former third-round pick.

Before Denver promoted McKenzie, the Bills were trying to sign the second-year receiver to their own 53-man roster, according to KUSA-TV’s Mike Klis. The Broncos prevented that by promoting McKenzie themselves.

McKenzie (5-7, 173 pounds) was selected by Denver in the fifth round of last year’s NFL draft out of Georgia. He showed promise as a rookie but ultimately lost his starting punt return job after fumbling six times.

Edited by YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Right?  What does it say when THAT'S an upgrade?

I almost think that has to be be a typo. And Denver signed him so the Bills couldn’t get him, which means they must think he’s decent. 

Edit: i looked it up - the 6 fumbles were while at UGA, all on PR, and he lost 2 of them. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Beane just doing his job.  Relax.  Guy you like becomes available, you try to get him.   Pretty simple process.   Bills have priority position for these kind of FAs , so there you go.  Just doing his job.  Building the roster.    Geez, posters get crazy when team doesn't win.   Now people are complaining about practice squad moves?  yikes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Beane just doing his job.  Relax.  Guy you like becomes available, you try to get him.   Pretty simple process.   Bills have priority position for these kind of FAs , so there you go.  Just doing his job.  Building the roster.    Geez, posters get crazy when team doesn't win.   Now people are complaining about practice squad moves?  yikes. 

This was a move of taking a guy off of someones PS to put on the Bill's active roster. This is their attempt to try and upgrade the active roster, not to get a look at someone on the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PIZ said:

This guy's better than Tanner Gentry or any other WR on practice squads?

Well he’s now on an active roster and they are still on the PS, so yes? At least 2 GMs think he’s good enough to be on their 53.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I would put money on the fact that no one on this board had ever heard of this guy before.  And now just because the Bills might have been thinking about him, he must not be that good because, of course, the front office can't evaluate talent.  As if anyone here has any clue about the guy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Obviously that’s what Beane thinks. Otherwise we’d be signing Gentry or another practice squad WR.

What’s with this place lately?

Early morning grumpiness by me I guess.  Obviously I'm no GM, but this guy doesn't seem like the kind of WR we are used to.  Though, maybe we (me) should get used to WRs that are in this mold (smaller) like the Patriots seem to add.

"McKenzie (5-7, 173 pounds) was selected by Denver in the fifth round of last year’s NFL draft out of Georgia. He showed promise as a rookie but ultimately lost his starting punt return job after fumbling six times".

It's moves like this that make me seriously question if 2019 is going to be the bonanza of players we need to be successful. However, the other part of my brain thinks that they are desperate to shake things up that they are trying to get any help they can on the cheap as a band-aid.

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Im surprised there's not 15 threads on comp picks. 

• Haha (+1) 1