FA 2019 - Who Should the Bills Target?

MJS

I wanted to have an early look at the 2019 free agent class. The Bills are projected to have $91.4 million in cap space in 2019, third behind the Colts and the Jets (Spotrac). How should they spend it?

Bills 2019 Free Agents:

image.thumb.png.6027a4f85849ea6ba8b1e59d2427ff8c.png

My guess is that Kyle Williams will be done. I could see Lorenzo Alexander being done too, although he may want to play another year. I think they should resign Jordan Phillips and perhaps that's all. Maybe Eddie Yarbrough. If Groy and Mills are cheap they might be best to bring back in case we can't get anyone better in FA or the draft. They'd be good backups if nothing else.

I think the Bills need to do everything they can to sign 2 or 3 of the best WR's available. Potentially Donte Moncrief and John Brown. I would bring back Chris Hogan if the Pats let him walk. He isn't a great WR, but he is dependable and would be a good 3rd/4th WR.

The Bills need to spend big on offensive line. The thing is, the pickings will be slim. The entire league is talent starved on the oline, so most guys with any value are going to be resigned by their current squads, or have been already. Anyone know some decent olinemen who will probably be available?

If this is McCoy's last year as a Bill, I don't think they should target a top RB in free agency. I think they should draft one. I'd also like to see them draft a big, athletic TE. Clay is undersized as a TE, gets injured a lot, and can be cut in 2019 for a manageable cap hit (as far as I understand). I think it's time to move on from Clay.

On the defensive side I think a big hole will be OLB. We'll probably have money to spend even after bringing in a bunch of offensive guys. Anthony Barr is scheduled to be a free agent. Do you think he would hit free agency? I realize he would be expensive, but if we have he space I would want the Bills to pursue him. Barr, Edmunds, and Milano would be a great linebacker corps.

In the draft the Bills should focus on offensive linemen, running backs, tight ends, corner backs, and then depth contributors across the board.

Who do you think the Bills should target in free agency?

Here is a list of potential unrestricted free agents: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Vontae for sure ;) 

We need to see if he can play a whole 60 minutes next year ;)

He'll need to work up to that. 3 quarters next year, then a full 4 quarters the year after.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Free Agency? Doesn't mean a thing at this point in 2018 when many of the premium guys will never hit the open market. 

It's just a reference for anyone who wants to respond... I think we all understand several will be re-signed, franchised, etc.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Free Agency? Doesn't mean a thing at this point in 2018 when many of the premium guys will never hit the open market. 

Yes. It requires some projecting for sure.

I like to concentrate on strengths of players rather then the names...the names too often are attached the dollar signs

Give me a solid LT.....move Dawkins to LG (solving that spot).....bring in a free agent center......move let Teller and a Draft pick duke it out over RG......Mills can stay unless beat out by somebody which seems to never happen.   That gives me 2 OG's and hopefully a center that can actually pull and get out and block on screens.

Give me Golden Tate......and the rest of the WR help should come via the draft...Zay Jones stay as the number 3

With Shady being traded...give me TJ Yeldon....keep Ivory and Marcus Murphy

Draft a pass rusher.....draft another QB.......with the latter picks in the draft draft best player available

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

I wanted to have an early look at the 2019 free agent class. The Bills are projected to have $91.4 million in cap space in 2019, third behind the Colts and the Jets (Spotrac). How should they spend it?

Bills 2019 Free Agents:

image.thumb.png.6027a4f85849ea6ba8b1e59d2427ff8c.png

My guess is that Kyle Williams will be done. I could see Lorenzo Alexander being done too, although he may want to play another year. I think they should resign Jordan Phillips and perhaps that's all. Maybe Eddie Yarbrough. If Groy and Mills are cheap they might be best to bring back in case we can't get anyone better in FA or the draft. They'd be good backups if nothing else.

I think the Bills need to do everything they can to sign 2 or 3 of the best WR's available. Potentially Donte Moncrief and John Brown. I would bring back Chris Hogan if the Pats let him walk. He isn't a great WR, but he is dependable and would be a good 3rd/4th WR.

The Bills need to spend big on offensive line. The thing is, the pickings will be slim. The entire league is talent starved on the oline, so most guys with any value are going to be resigned by their current squads, or have been already. Anyone know some decent olinemen who will probably be available?

If this is McCoy's last year as a Bill, I don't think they should target a top RB in free agency. I think they should draft one. I'd also like to see them draft a big, athletic TE. Clay is undersized as a TE, gets injured a lot, and can be cut in 2019 for a manageable cap hit (as far as I understand). I think it's time to move on from Clay.

On the defensive side I think a big hole will be OLB. We'll probably have money to spend even after bringing in a bunch of offensive guys. Anthony Barr is scheduled to be a free agent. Do you think he would hit free agency? I realize he would be expensive, but if we have he space I would want the Bills to pursue him. Barr, Edmunds, and Milano would be a great linebacker corps.

In the draft the Bills should focus on offensive linemen, running backs, tight ends, corner backs, and then depth contributors across the board.

Who do you think the Bills should target in free agency?

Here is a list of potential unrestricted free agents: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/

All offensive line 

QB - Matt Cassel if Anderson isn't retained

RB - TJ Yeldon/Ameer Abdullah/Tevin Coleman assuming McCoy isn't around

WR - Golden Tate, Randall Cobb/Tavon Austin/John Brown/Tyrell Williams/Quincey Enunwa/Justin Hardy

TE - Jared Cook/Maxx Williams/Nick Boyle/Tyler Kroft

G - Quinton Spain, Mike Iupati/Roger Saffold/JR Sweezy

RT - Bobby Massie/Jamon Brown/Byron Bell

C - Mitch Morse/Ryan Kalil

DE - Dante Fowler?

LB - Stephone Anthony

I'm sure we can pay most of them :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Im looking for them to sign at least 1 (if not 2) of Golden Tate, John Brown, Quincy Enunwa, and Tyrell Williams.

Would like to see OL help brought in. Ramon Foster, Roger Saffold, Bobby Massie, Mitch Morse.

TE: Tyler Kroft and Luke Willson

RB: Spencer Ware, Tevin Coleman, Buck Allen

DT: someone around Kyle's $ # (assuming he doesn't resign) for a few years

DE: Dante Fowler (pipe dream)

Certainly all subject to what they want to do in the draft, these are just some players I like who I think would also be positional fits for the Bills (maybe not scheme, I'm not that smart, but positional in the sense that we are or will be weak at these spots next year).

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I like to concentrate on strengths of players rather then the names...the names too often are attached the dollar signs

Give me a solid LT.....move Dawkins to LG (solving that spot).....bring in a free agent center......move let Teller and a Draft pick duke it out over RG......Mills can stay unless beat out by somebody which seems to never happen.   That gives me 2 OG's and hopefully a center that can actually pull and get out and block on screens.

Give me Golden Tate......and the rest of the WR help should come via the draft...Zay Jones stay as the number 3

With Shady being traded...give me TJ Yeldon....keep Ivory and Marcus Murphy

Draft a pass rusher.....draft another QB.......with the latter picks in the draft draft best player available

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Golden Tate, great player, but he'll be 31 or 32 heading into next season and with the whole youth movement direction this team is going in, I can't see them making a run at Tate. Not sure of his situation but I wonder if he'll get an extension from Detroit before the year is done. 

Yeldon I mentioned in another thread, I think he can be a viable replacement if McCoy is done here. I also think they'll take one in the draft, earliest round I'd guess is third and latest probably the fifth. 

If they end up with a top five pick,  they're gonna be in excellent position to get one of these big time DL coming up. Although, with so many needs, if they do find themselves in the top five, I'd be hoping for them to trade down and acquire more capital. Yeah, I'd be bummed if they had to pass on Ed Oliver or something but, they just have so many spots to fill.

15 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Golden Tate - WR who can consistently get open underneath

Tyrell Williams - WR who can take the top off

Matt Paradis & Rodger Saffold - Rebuild the interior of the oline

Randall Cobb is similar to Tate and could likely be signed for less. Plus Tate has a poor teammate reputation from Seattle. I like Tyrell Williams and don’t understand the Chargers use of him.  When K.Allen was out, Tyrell looked very good.

I would definitely bring back Yarborough and Phillips, and I fully agree this is clays last season here. 

I’m really not worried about the offensive line, I think they’ll land 2 eventual starters from the draft. But some depth free agent signings would be smart. The hard one is finding a legit receiver. We are going to need an elite type guy