[Name Only Title] Wyatt Teller?

Dave Allen

7 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Great assessment - and it's always been true that the progression of ol players is vastly different than that of the skill positions. A lot of OL play has to do with the guys next to them on the line as much as it does scheme, QB/RB, and their own individual talent/capability. 

Teller has shown amazing flashes given his pick level and immediate ROI in his first year by starting. That's unheard of. But it's clear the kid has much to work on, and he will. You can start calling guys long term solutions when they've continued their play from their second year of starting into their third. But just like some DB's are better in zone coverage than man to man, some OL players are better in run blocking versus pass pro - the issue will be how he commands his overall game through these next years corresponding to the requisite needs of our offensive scheme. Right now our entire offense outside of the run game is play action and jet sweep (which I know is a run package). But in pass pro play action, you're asking your OL to create an effective pocket for 3+ seconds at least, and for Teller, this could be his biggest obstacle once teams have enough tape on his mechanics and technique.

I dont know why you guys would be suprised I have been saying all year that Teller needed to start lol

I really wanted to see on Teller did against this OL and in particular Marcel who didnt play........and this game was actually the first game I saw Ryan Teller get pushed back in pass protection in a live game......but the Jags DL is GOOD and very strong.....and Teller fought that bull rush the whole way and ended up pancaking the player in the end (Josh Allen still escapes the pocket for a big gain on the play)

On running plays....Teller is mobile....strong....and plays mean.

When we were losing I was a big proponet of drafting Jonah to LT...moving dawkins to LG.....now I am not sure that is going to be possible depending on where we draft so option B of this might be Dawkins LT/Teller LG......sign the top available free agent C and RG......draft a RT

Either way.....Teller factor's into the future plans.

5 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

After seeing his two starts, it would be a stretch to think he can't "hold down" the LG position. It's nothing less than a guarantee. Only injury can make him play worse than Ducasee and even THEN I'm not so sure.

If they want to keep Vlad through Training Camp next year until they find a backup G it's OK with me.

He should not make the 53 IMO.  If he does OBD did not do there job in the offseason.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think any of the linemen played particularly well yesterday. The RBs had no holes and the QB had no time to throw. Josh deserves a ton of credit for no sacks because there should have been 4-5, he got crushed on a few others, and at least three of his runs were because guys were on him immediately. 

I agree Kelly, DD should be the only "lock" as a starter for next year.  Lot's of work needs to be done.

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont know why you guys would be suprised I have been saying all year that Teller needed to start lol

I really wanted to see on Teller did against this OL and in particular Marcel who didnt play........and this game was actually the first game I saw Ryan Teller get pushed back in pass protection in a live game......but the Jags DL is GOOD and very strong.....and Teller fought that bull rush the whole way and ended up pancaking the player in the end (Josh Allen still escapes the pocket for a big gain on the play)

On running plays....Teller is mobile....strong....and plays mean.

When we were losing I was a big proponet of drafting Jonah to LT...moving dawkins to LG.....now I am not sure that is going to be possible depending on where we draft so option B of this might be Dawkins LT/Teller LG......sign the top available free agent C and RG......draft a RT

Either way.....Teller factor's into the future plans.

Not sure if you mean "we" specific to me or anyone here, but for a 5th round rookie lineman to start in his first year is very surprising no matter what. And reserving judgment on Teller's longterm potential until another year or two certainly doesn't detract from his enormous upside given that he was a 5th round pick...

That being said, for a 5th round rookie, he did handle one of the top d-lines in the league very well. He certainly had mistakes as well, and a few poor technique plays leading to broken pockets, but I'm thrilled to see him continuing to perform and not drowning in his early experience. I'm wary of how next year may go as you see OL players regress all the time for various reasons after strong rookie and sophomore performances. But to your point, I don't know that this necessarily changes how we approach rebuilding the line. 

I like both the scenarios you provided and I'm certainly all for Little/Jonah first to shore up some help. I would like to see us address C and either RG or RT in free agency, but given the names available, I'm okay paying Paradis and Saffold to fill the C/RG slots respectively. Dawkins has done well at Tackle, but I am curious what he could do as a pulling guard. Teller certainly can fill that role as he has demonstrated, but I'm also curious what a line like Jonah/Dawkins/Center (Paradis hopefully)/Teller/RG (Saffold hopefully)/RT (hole, but potentially Dawkins if we get extra guard help as well). Better yet, draft a tackle and keep Dawkins at LT while the rookie plays their first year at RT to see the game and develop accordingly. 

Both Dawkins and Teller have great tangibles for a mobile/physical pulling guard like Richie was for us. Neither is redundant in terms of what they bring to the line, but having options is never a bad thing.

Edited by ctk232

22 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think any of the linemen played particularly well yesterday. The RBs had no holes and the QB had no time to throw. Josh deserves a ton of credit for no sacks because there should have been 4-5, he got crushed on a few others, and at least three of his runs were because guys were on him immediately. 

I mostly agree with you that their play as a whole needs to be elevated, or simply an infusion of talent. What I like about Teller that I would like to see from the rest of the o-line is his tenacity to block all the way to the whistle - and then some:)

Too many of our o-linemen are either whiffing completely on their blocks, or unable to hold them for more than a second and a half. I don't like to see o-linemen on their feet looking back at their QB under a pile of other jerseys.

• Like (+1) 1

Been very happy with Teller. As other posters who are much more knowledgable about the technical nuances of OLine have mentioned, I am tempering my enthusiasm based on previous hot streaks by young OLinemen who eventually regressed. He certainly looks the part though, and I've got my fingers crossed that he's a longtime starter.

One of my biggest concerns for this offseason is that we will keep Castillo. He is god awful. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

yeah I have been a champion of Teller but I didnt think he had a great game.....needs to sustain his blocks

And the penalties.  But one can see his potential.  Be interesting to see what happens with O line coach in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why the Bills benched Wyatt Teller for two series
- In the middle of the game, undrafted rookie guard Ike Boettger trotted on to the field not in place of right guard John Miller as he did in the Week 15 win over the Lions, but for rookie left guard Wyatt Teller. Since inserting him into the starting lineup, the Bills have seen up and down play from Teller. One some plays and in some games he flashes some major ability, while on some other reps he was the catalyst for a negative play. The Bills have been wanting him to find consistency with all these reps for one, and more prominently, trying to figure out if he can be a starter for the team in 2019 before they go out and start in free agency and the draft in March and April. After the game, Sean McDermott told 7ABC that they took Teller out of the game for those two series to not only get Boettger some time on the field, but he wanted Teller to watch the game from the sidelines and to remove himself from the quickness of the game, just to broaden his perspective a bit. If you'll recall, it's the same reasoning McDermott gave as to why the team kept giving Ramon Humber some time on the field in place of the superior, and younger, Matt Milano. As opposed to the Humber decision, I agree with McDermott's tactics for Teller because he hasn't been as big of an impact player as Milano had been for the team. I'll reserve my judgment on Teller in the Patriots game for when the coaches film comes out on Tuesday, but in the previous starts, the Bills just needed to see a bit more from the rookie. No matter what, he has one start remaining to convince the Bills that they don't need to replace four offensive linemen in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.