[Name Only Title] Wyatt Teller?

Dave Allen

What's the word on Wyatt Teller? I've heard nothing but radio silence on him since the beginning of the season. 

There was enough buzz after the draft to give hope that he could get up to speed quickly and contribute. But the fact that he's still exiled to the practice squad worries me. 

*Note: I meant to say inactive list, not practice squad. That's what I get for double-checking my posts before hitting enter.

Edited by Dave Allen
incorrect fact

16 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

What's the word on Wyatt Teller? I've heard nothing but radio silence on him since the beginning of the season. 

There was enough buzz after the draft to give hope that he could get up to speed quickly and contribute. But the fact that he's still exiled to the practice squad worries me. 

Dude aint on the practice squad

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

He's on the 53 man roster just got active on gamedays.

I mean he probably sucks, but he's not on the practice squad

• Haha (+1) 2

Well he's got active roster spot but not active on gamedays yet.

As with all 5th round picks, it's longer odds to end up as a starter, but it does happen.   I think they had him mostly working at LG in camp, and would likely activate him if Vlad goes down.  Immediate fill in would be Groy, but something happened to that dude and he seems to have huge lapses with balance on the field.

I thought that Boettinger stood out in camp.  Fast and massive dude, looked light on his feet.   

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I was a fan in pre season.......the guy flat out mauls ppl in the running game.

After watching him at TC, I was positive that he would get some PT eventually this season.  You are correct, he is an absolute monster in the running game.  Must need some polish, as most late round o-linemen typically need.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Well he's got active roster spot but not active on gamedays yet.

As with all 5th round picks, it's longer odds to end up as a starter, but it does happen.   I think they had him mostly working at LG in camp, and would likely activate him if Vlad goes down.  Immediate fill in would be Groy, but something happened to that dude and he seems to have huge lapses with balance on the field.

I thought that Boettinger stood out in camp.  Fast and massive dude, looked light on his feet.   

Juan Castillo and the new zone blocking scheme is what happened to Groy.  He doesn't suit the scheme, so he's gone from being at least a serviceable backup to being a turnstile.  Maybe McDermott and Beane should have given a slightly higher priority to OL in the last draft and spent more than a late fifth round pick on it.

• Like (+1) 1

If Teller would of played at the beginning of the season we would of had 4 or 5 more holding calls per game.  If he has improved his technique to not be such a "grabber" in pass pro is anyones guess.  I'm pulling for him cause that would be one less need to worry about next year.  Same for Boettinger as well,  he could be a surprise after a full offseason on training. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I was a fan in pre season.......the guy flat out mauls ppl in the running game.

And Nate Peterman proved how important preseason is!!! I hope this guy is good but man, fans fall in love with guys in the preseason.  Bring back Reilly!!!

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And Nate Peterman proved how important preseason is!!! I hope this guy is good but man, fans fall in love with guys in the preseason.  Bring back Reilly!!!

OL is one of those positions you can get a pretty good idea of the basic talents.

Wyatt's basic talent is that he is powerful and mobile......two very good things in a Deboll offense.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

OL is one of those positions you can get a pretty good idea of the basic talents.

Wyatt's basic talent is that he is powerful and mobile......two very good things in a Deboll offense.

I mean, I definitely like his scouting report.  Also, I think G is more about want to and attitude than overall technique more than other positions.

but as garbage as our offense is, I don’t think the oline has been a major problem recently.  But I’m far from an oline expert.  What are you thoughts?  Definitely think he should get time towards the end of the year though.

2 hours ago, Dave Allen said:

From what I can tell, he was struggling with pro OL concepts and whatnot. And that's typical for a young OL, even highly touted prospects nowadays are entering the league having put their hand in the dirt like, half a dozen times. The way the college game is played these days has impacted the development of OL and QBs the most. 

I think he'll have a chance to crack the starting lineup next year.