[Name Only Title] Wyatt Teller?

Dave Allen

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Quality O-line starter?  Hmmm, we heard his entire career that Joe Thomas (drafted instead of Adrian Peterson in a draft LOADED with playmakers) was a HOF LT (hey, why not?), yet nearly every year, the Browns offense sucked and the Joe Thomas anchored O-line was a leader in sacks allowed.  And Teller is certainly not even Joe Thomas level lineman.

Its obviously going to take more then 1 offensive linemen to turn around the offense...that is not what I was trying to say.   He could however be a very important part of an offensive line should he turn out to be good......

We are talking about 5th round picks here....the success rate of anyone drafted in those rounds is probably predicated to going to the right situation and having high upsides...if they were more then that they would not be drafted in the 5th round they would be taken higher.

Wyatt Teller if he turned out to be a starter level OL for us would be a very good pick in the 5th round.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its obviously going to take more then 1 offensive linemen to turn around the offense...that is not what I was trying to say.   He could however be a very important part of an offensive line should he turn out to be good......

We are talking about 5th round picks here....the success rate of anyone drafted in those rounds is probably predicated to going to the right situation and having high upsides...if they were more then that they would not be drafted in the 5th round they would be taken higher.

Wyatt Teller if he turned out to be a starter level OL for us would be a very good pick in the 5th round.

In the 5th you should be looking for a few steals at impact positions (WR was a desperate need), not a backup OG.  They were right there.  

But if you're not even looking....

A lot of really good linemen come from the middle rounds. There are a large number of high draft pick busts on the o-line. 

Rams o-line are are having a great season. They feature 3 second round picks, a 6 and a 7. 

The same goes for a lot of the best lines in the NFL. 

Vlad was a second round pick and he sucks. John Miller also sucks and was drafted in the third. When it comes to o-linemen, draft status matters less than many other positions. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Quality O-line starter?  Hmmm, we heard his entire career that Joe Thomas (drafted instead of Adrian Peterson in a draft LOADED with playmakers) was a HOF LT (hey, why not?), yet nearly every year, the Browns offense sucked and the Joe Thomas anchored O-line was a leader in sacks allowed.  And Teller is certainly not even Joe Thomas level lineman.

Are you suggesting Joe Thomas is not a HOF LT?

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Are you suggesting Joe Thomas is not a HOF LT?

Oh he's that, whatever that is.  The point is that it had no impact on the fortunes of his franchise.  They wee no better with a HOF LT.   I'm guessing they would have better with the best RB drafted in the past 20 years.

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

cool with me. time to get it rolling Wyatt. let him get the nod that he is next in line and has to win it though

a young line coming up with Allen is not a bad thing generally speaking.

i know i am in the minority, but i have not given up on John Miller. perhaps he will become back up to some FA acquisition. But i would not send him packing yet.
lets see what they do with JMills position off season as well first.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh he's that, whatever that is.  The point is that it had no impact on the fortunes of his franchise.  They wee no better with a HOF LT.   I'm guessing they would have better with the best RB drafted in the past 20 years.

Well i agree on that. I've long believed premier left tackles were ridiculously overrated. What's more is that you line is only as good as it's worst player. It gives you nothing to have the best tackle and center to play the game if your guards are Vlad ducasse and John Miller, so you have to have 5 good ones if you want your line to make up for deficiency elsewhere. It's like when people talk about having a great D. It's pointless to try to win with defense unless you have a top 5 all-time elite defense (seahawks, broncos, Bucs, Ravens, 85 bears etc). It's much more efficient to load your offense with skill talent and create a gameplan that exploits weaknesses of the D that you play.

If the Bills want to take O-line at the top of the draft, I'd rather they trade down a couple times and get 3-4 of them in the second round, than 1 at the top.

Like I said, Teller was crushing fools in the preseason, but he's going to need a full offseason in an NFL strength program to be able to handle every down action--in that respect, he's a lot like John Miller, though I think Teller is a better athlete.

Where he's got a shot to succeed over and above Miller is if he can learn to improve his hand placement. He does a nice job re-directing his feet, and if he can get his hands to operate in concert he'll be a solid guard.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well i agree on that. I've long believed premier left tackles were ridiculously overrated. What's more is that you line is only as good as it's worst player. It gives you nothing to have the best tackle and center to play the game if your guards are Vlad ducasse and John Miller, so you have to have 5 good ones if you want your line to make up for deficiency elsewhere. It's like when people talk about having a great D. It's pointless to try to win with defense unless you have a top 5 all-time elite defense (seahawks, broncos, Bucs, Ravens, 85 bears etc). It's much more efficient to load your offense with skill talent and create a gameplan that exploits weaknesses of the D that you play.

If the Bills want to take O-line at the top of the draft, I'd rather they trade down a couple times and get 3-4 of them in the second round, than 1 at the top.

I agree with all of this. 

The only good LTs the Bills have drafted were a TE and a 2nd round guy who might have been a G.

When you are all set at skill positions, then you can blow a 1st round pick on an LT.  Otherwise, it never pays off because it's impossible to have a noticeable payoff.

27 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Like I said, Teller was crushing fools in the preseason, but he's going to need a full offseason in an NFL strength program to be able to handle every down action--in that respect, he's a lot like John Miller, though I think Teller is a better athlete.

Where he's got a shot to succeed over and above Miller is if he can learn to improve his hand placement. He does a nice job re-directing his feet, and if he can get his hands to operate in concert he'll be a solid guard.

he's supposedly an animal in the weightroom.  

30 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he's supposedly an animal in the weightroom.  

Yeah, heard that also, found this from SI 2017, between Jr and Sr years. He's strong alright but definitely agree, he should get in the weight room and get stronger. 

33. Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F
MICHAEL SHROYER/GETTY IMAGES

A converted DE, the 6’5”, 308-pound Teller has started 30 games for the Hokies. In 2016, he was Virginia Tech’s starting left guard and won honorable mention All-ACC honors from the league’s coaches. This off-season he earned another prestigious distinction winning the Hokies’ “Hard Hat Champion,” awarded to the standout in the off-season conditioning program, after he power cleaned 400 pounds, squatted 600 and bench pressed 460.

Edited by pop gun

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

Yeah, heard that also, found this from SI 2017, between Jr and Sr years. He's strong alright but definitely agree, he should get in the weight room and get stronger. 

33. Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F
MICHAEL SHROYER/GETTY IMAGES

A converted DE, the 6’5”, 308-pound Teller has started 30 games for the Hokies. In 2016, he was Virginia Tech’s starting left guard and won honorable mention All-ACC honors from the league’s coaches. This off-season he earned another prestigious distinction winning the Hokies’ “Hard Hat Champion,” awarded to the standout in the off-season conditioning program, after he power cleaned 400 pounds, squatted 600 and bench pressed 460.

He absolutely is strong enough...that is not an issue for him.....

He tends to hold and be overagressvie

I apologize because I’ve probably been too negative towards Teller.  I just struggle to get excited about a G because the rest of the offense is so terrible.  In general, G should be one of the easiest spots to plug guys in because they are surrounded by a C and T.  If you have a good C and Ts, it’s not really that hard to plug a G into.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I apologize because I’ve probably been too negative towards Teller.  I just struggle to get excited about a G because the rest of the offense is so terrible.  In general, G should be one of the easiest spots to plug guys in because they are surrounded by a C and T.  If you have a good C and Ts, it’s not really that hard to plug a G into.

G has been a huge weakness. it looks like they potentially filled half that need with a draft pick. its a positive thing. i'll always be excited if a hole on the team can be filled admirably by a later round pick.  I don't get the need to p**s in everyones cheerios.

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Its fine....the OL has not been good and its frustrating

Baby steps

If Wyatt Teller can man that LG spot....they can slide Decausse back over to RG and Dawkins stays at LT

Decausse is not all pro or anything but played solid at RG last year after a bumpy start.......its amazing how just one improvement can cascade over the OL

• Like (+1) 1