[Name Only Title] Wyatt Teller?

Dave Allen

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's all well and good that he wants to hit people but some regard has to be given to his own health.  A player only has so many hits in him before he physically declines and if he is the real deal then we want him around for along time.  Take care of his assignments on each play and I will be happy.

8 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

ORCHARD PARK – Come late Sunday afternoon, as he’s peeling off his equipment following the Buffalo Bills’ game with the Jaguars, rookie offensive guard Wyatt Teller sure hopes he isn’t ruing what he wished for.

Teller will be making the second start of his NFL career, and playing in just his third game, when Buffalo hosts Jacksonville at New Era Field and he’s going to have one tough assignment on his hands: trying to block stud Jaguars defensive tackle Malik Jackson.

Naturally, Teller has been studying film all week in preparation for Jackson, but he fortuitously had a head start on this dating to before the 2018 draft, months before the Bills selected him out of Virginia Tech in the fifth round.

“When I was in Atlanta training for the combine, I was with Jon Stinchcomb,” Teller recalled of his sessions with the former NFL offensive lineman who helps draft prospects prepare for the scouting combine and their pro days. “He pulled up some game film and we literally studied (Jackson) because he’s one of the best. So to me it’s like, wow, I was watching this guy thinking it would be really cool to block him one day, and here I am.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/12/2018 at 9:12 PM, WideNine said:

That helmet shot to the head looked pretty deliberate...if it was a QB taking that shot it would make the evening news.

Luckily it seemed Teller had a split second to see it coming and was able to roll with the hit a bit. Not feeling too sorry for Jet's Bashum when Teller landed with his knee in his ribs.  Miller did get rolled from behind. It is tough for O-Linemen when those bodies start flying around behind your legs.

Indeed.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If he can hold down the LG position then that’s one less need we have to address. 

After seeing his two starts, it would be a stretch to think he can't "hold down" the LG position. It's nothing less than a guarantee. Only injury can make him play worse than Ducasee and even THEN I'm not so sure.

4 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

After seeing his two starts, it would be a stretch to think he can't "hold down" the LG position. It's nothing less than a guarantee. Only injury can make him play worse than Ducasee and even THEN I'm not so sure.

Lineman do not progress like run of the mill players

They can and do seemingly regress , for no reason., after 2 starts it definitely is a bit of a stretch to think we found our LG for 10 years

i like teller a lot but John Miller was most improved lineman his second year in the league and never fully turned the corner 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lineman do not progress like run of the mill players

They can and do seemingly regress , for no reason., after 2 starts it definitely is a bit of a stretch to think we found our LG for 10 years

i like teller a lot but John Miller was most improved lineman his second year in the league and never fully turned the corner 

You're just going through PTSD... If you take a breath and relax and watch Teller closely, you'll feel more comfortable. 

9 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

You're just going through PTSD... If you take a breath and relax and watch Teller closely, you'll feel more comfortable. 

I have and I don’t get PTSD from drafted players lol I was one of the few that loved the pick on draft day.

But He is still no where near ready to be called a stalwart starter for years

As I said, lineman regress in the NFL for no reason... the arrow isn’t always up for everyone consistently ... especially when there is tape of you

there is VERY LITTLE pro tape on Teller, so dlineman are still figuring out how to play him 

he plays at a high level for 2-3 years then he can be a stalwart of the line. He still needs to clean up a bunch technique wise, to be a consistent performer in the pass protection game 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

So, to the post you’re quoting, Dawkins, Teller and Groy stay, all the rest can hit the road following the season. 2 more starter positions and quality depth is much better than I hoped for. If Dabol and his OL Coach stay on, they need to be in the Draft Room and in every FA visit. 10 Picks & $100M should cure what ails us, to say nothing of a game breaking WR and stud DE.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, to the post you’re quoting, Dawkins, Teller and Groy stay, all the rest can hit the road following the season. 2 more starter positions and quality depth is much better than I hoped for. If Dabol and his OL Coach stay on, they need to be in the Draft Room and in every FA visit. 10 Picks & $100M should cure what ails us, to say nothing of a game breaking WR and stud DE.

No... I'm not as confident in Groy as I am in Teller and Dawkins... I personally would love to draft or sign a LT who ends up giving Dawkins competition because I would rather see Dawkins on the right side.

As far as Groy, Dawkins and Teller staying and the rest of the bunch hitting the road? Ummmm sure but that's a bit too excessive. 

50 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Teller actually gets "push" when he plays with technique, and that is what we need from our center and guard positions - our RT position just has to be able to take away that outside speed rush and clip after clip I watch it is not getting done.

I read some of the comments that reference Parcell's thoughts on the Guard position - not sure if I agree about it being the easiest to fill, perhaps the easiest to hide poor play, but the truth will out. A solid guard will power your run game by moving bodies (backwards hopefully), he will hold his own in pass-pro and pick up the odd blitz up the middle, he also shores up the tackle and center spots if uncovered and they need support. Guards are also (generally - as I know there are a few exceptions) the only linemen that are asked to pull. Good guards are like the glue for your line. 

Obviously, the center handles the ball every snap so he has a huge responsibility in the exchange, but the next biggest asset is the ability to anchor and not get pushed back into the pocket in pass-pro and to use leverage when called upon to create the right running seams - often the center calls out the protections. We all know what we need from the tackle position - usually your best pass-pro lineman is on the left protecting the blind side, but the right tackle is expected to be able to move people and needs to be pretty good in pass-pro too. Many defensive coordinators now-a-days will line up their best pass rusher on the right side from time to time to get that pressure in the face of the QB.

Teller can be that Guard we need on the left, I am still not sold on our Center (although I think he is a passable depth player) and I have not been impressed at all with our right side - although I think those guys are working their tails off.... I just don't know if the natural talent and strength are there. I feel bad saying that, but sometimes the talent is either there or not. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Teller actually gets "push" when he plays with technique, and that is what we need from our center and guard positions - our RT position just has to be able to take away that outside speed rush and clip after clip I watch it is not getting done.

I read some of the comments that reference Parcell's thoughts on the Guard position - not sure if I agree about it being the easiest to fill, perhaps the easiest to hide poor play, but the truth will out. A solid guard will power your run game by moving bodies (backwards hopefully), he will hold his own in pass-pro and pick up the odd blitz up the middle, he also shores up the tackle and center spots if uncovered and they need support. Guards are also (generally - as I know there are a few exceptions) the only linemen that are asked to pull. Good guards are like the glue for your line. 

Obviously, the center handles the ball every snap so he has a huge responsibility in the exchange, but the next biggest asset is the ability to anchor and not get pushed back into the pocket in pass-pro and to use leverage when called upon to create the right running seams - often the center calls out the protections. We all know what we need from the tackle position - usually your best pass-pro lineman is on the left protecting the blind side, but the right tackle is expected to be able to move people and needs to be pretty good in pass-pro too. Many defensive coordinators now-a-days will line up their best pass rusher on the right side from time to time to get that pressure in the face of the QB.

Teller can be that Guard we need on the left, I am still not sold on our Center (although I think he is a passable depth player) and I have not been impressed at all with our right side - although I think those guys are working their tails off.... I just don't know if the natural talent and strength are there. I feel bad saying that, but sometimes the talent is either there or not. 

I've certainly quoted Parcells about this, but you are right.  The game has changed, with solid pass-rushers coming from both sides as well as in the middle.  If DT is becoming a more important position, then the middle of the O-line must become as important.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have and I don’t get PTSD from drafted players lol I was one of the few that loved the pick on draft day.

But He is still no where near ready to be called a stalwart starter for years

As I said, lineman regress in the NFL for no reason... the arrow isn’t always up for everyone consistently ... especially when there is tape of you

there is VERY LITTLE pro tape on Teller, so dlineman are still figuring out how to play him 

he plays at a high level for 2-3 years then he can be a stalwart of the line. He still needs to clean up a bunch technique wise, to be a consistent performer in the pass protection game 

Great assessment - and it's always been true that the progression of ol players is vastly different than that of the skill positions. A lot of OL play has to do with the guys next to them on the line as much as it does scheme, QB/RB, and their own individual talent/capability. 

Teller has shown amazing flashes given his pick level and immediate ROI in his first year by starting. That's unheard of. But it's clear the kid has much to work on, and he will. You can start calling guys long term solutions when they've continued their play from their second year of starting into their third. But just like some DB's are better in zone coverage than man to man, some OL players are better in run blocking versus pass pro - the issue will be how he commands his overall game through these next years corresponding to the requisite needs of our offensive scheme. Right now our entire offense outside of the run game is play action and jet sweep (which I know is a run package). But in pass pro play action, you're asking your OL to create an effective pocket for 3+ seconds at least, and for Teller, this could be his biggest obstacle once teams have enough tape on his mechanics and technique.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think any of the linemen played particularly well yesterday. The RBs had no holes and the QB had no time to throw. Josh deserves a ton of credit for no sacks because there should have been 4-5, he got crushed on a few others, and at least three of his runs were because guys were on him immediately.