[Name Only Title] Wyatt Teller?

Dave Allen

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its fine....the OL has not been good and its frustrating

Baby steps

If Wyatt Teller can man that LG spot....they can slide Decausse back over to RG and Dawkins stays at LT

Decausse is not all pro or anything but played solid at RG last year after a bumpy start.......its amazing how just one improvement can cascade over the OL

Good post.  I’m being too negative.  I think Dawkins would be an excellent RT or possibly G if we could fill his spot.  I’m far from an oline guy though.  Your thoughts?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post.  I’m being too negative.  I think Dawkins would be an excellent RT or possibly G if we could fill his spot.  I’m far from an oline guy though.  Your thoughts?

I think Dawkins were be a VERY good LG......what it all boils down to is who plays LT (now and in the future) for this team if you move him.

This is what I would actually like to see

I think we have a top 5 pick......if it is higher then that then trade down to 5 range and pick up more day 1/day 2 picks.....start Jonah LT

Move Dawkins to LG

There are some good centers in free agency this year....this is where you spend a little bit of money and get a quality center

MOVE TELLER TO RG......where I think he would be very good with his mobility and strength....also bring in a free agent Guard like Saffold and actually have more good layers at a position then less

Keep Mills but get real competition for that spot

Then with the rest of the draft I am drafting offensive players......wr's, a te, a running back

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He absolutely is strong enough...that is not an issue for him.....

He tends to hold and be overagressvie

It's not really about getting stronger in terms of generating more force--which is what the raw weight numbers tell you. It's a lot more about developing strength that meshes with the technique to a specific NFL position.

Don't get me wrong: a strength base is critical, but it's a starting point, not a finished product.

For example, my lifting coach had athletes that could deadlift 3x body weight, which is phenomenal. Those same guys struggle with strength when put up against a big body with low center of gravity, because all of a sudden the load isn't stationary and the leverage points have changed.

Put that same guy through an offseason of NFL strength training, where he practices unevenly loaded deficit deadlifts from a Jefferson stance (this was the protocol he said one NFL asst S&C coach used for OLmen) and all of a sudden the same guy can go from a kick slide to anchoring seamlessly without giving up ground.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

It's not really about getting stronger in terms of generating more force--which is what the raw weight numbers tell you. It's a lot more about developing strength that meshes with the technique to a specific NFL position.

Don't get me wrong: a strength base is critical, but it's a starting point, not a finished product.

For example, my lifting coach had athletes that could deadlift 3x body weight, which is phenomenal. Those same guys struggle with strength when put up against a big body with low center of gravity, because all of a sudden the load isn't stationary and the leverage points have changed.

Put that same guy through an offseason of NFL strength training, where he practices unevenly loaded deficit deadlifts from a Jefferson stance (this was the protocol he said one NFL asst S&C coach used for OLmen) and all of a sudden the same guy can go from a kick slide to anchoring seamlessly without giving up ground.

Bandit

I understand all of this.....do you feel that you see Teller giving ground in his pass protection?

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Bandit

I understand all of this.....do you feel that you see Teller giving ground in his pass protection?

It's not a routine issue, but it happened once or twice on Sunday and it was my number one concern from preseason. I think right now he's going to struggle when he faces the stouter interior pass rushers. I'll be very interested to see if he gets one on one reps vs Leonard Williams on Sunday.

Of course, the real test will come right after the bye going against Jax's interior of Malik Jackson, Dareus, Abry Jones, and Campbell (when they shift him inside on passing downs).

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I apologize because I’ve probably been too negative towards Teller.  I just struggle to get excited about a G because the rest of the offense is so terrible.  In general, G should be one of the easiest spots to plug guys in because they are surrounded by a C and T.  If you have a good C and Ts, it’s not really that hard to plug a G into.

That's what Parcells said about building the O-line, which is why I think the #1 need next year is C, the OT.  Yes, they need skill players, but they need to be able to run and protect Allen.

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

That's what Parcells said about building the O-line, which is why I think the #1 need next year is C, the OT.  Yes, they need skill players, but they need to be able to run and protect Allen.

If this team could actually run the ball consistantly....that would go a long way towards helping Allen

22 hours ago, TPS said:

Keep an eye on Boss Tagaloa, UCLA center.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:56 PM, thebandit27 said:

Excellent post about how important technique is.

I think even Teller recognizes his need to fine tune his leverage points. when and where to use his strength advantages.
Young Kid and at least half smart, i have hope : )

I am a Teller fan.

for all those that mentioned the line is the sum of it's parts , and not a single talent ?

I agree.

4 hours ago, TPS said:

Every nfl team needs a good Samoan!

its something we have been mentioning for decades.
I am a proponent of of building from the center out. Because I feel the guy calling the protection is the key.

Sure you can consider guards a lesser value if you have two fine tackles.
But if the guards cannot pick up the stunts  and a/b gap blitzes and help the center and tackles? Your running game and QB pocket goes to hell in a hurry.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

The seasons basically over.  Giving the guy a shot to prove himself seems like a good idea to me.  

The Bills aren't at the point where they should bench most veterans (That's usually reserved for the last 2-3 games of a season) but in this particular case when neither veteran player is doing all that well and you have a 5th round pick sitting on the bench you might as well see what he has over the next 7 games because if Teller finishes strong in the back half of the season maybe you invest the resources you would have spent on two guards into one high end signing? Its better to make the change now and see if you get some better play or at worst know Teller needs more development. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills aren't at the point where they should bench most veterans (That's usually reserved for the last 2-3 games of a season) but in this particular case when neither veteran player is doing all that well and you have a 5th round pick sitting on the bench you might as well see what he has over the next 7 games because if Teller finishes strong in the back half of the season maybe you invest the resources you would have spent on two guards into one high end signing? Its better to make the change now and see if you get some better play or at worst know Teller needs more development. 

Totally agree

On 11/8/2018 at 2:41 PM, TPS said:

Bruce Arians also stated recently that the best thing for a rookie or young qb is putting a good oline in front of him. Filling the line through FA makes the most sense to me. If they can land two linemen that allows us to take BPA in the first and still get a deep threat in round 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Bruce Arians also stated recently that the best thing for a rookie or young qb is putting a good oline in front of him. Filling the line through FA makes the most sense to me. If they can land two linemen that allows us to take BPA in the first and still get a deep threat in round 2. 

Tasker mentioned last week pregame , about getting immediate starters on the line via FA for Allen and the running game. Also a WR or two. Agreed that such a move allows BPA.
But Bills have plenty of weak spots.
Need ready to rumble impact players on offense this offseason.
good post

This kid is great. This is the best our left side has looking. The Bills might have fixed their left side with letting this kid pancake people. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and the lad showed up........kudos to Castillo's training and development...............

and for benching Vlad not the Impaler

4 minutes ago, Yav said:

This kid is great. This is the best our left side has looking. The Bills might have fixed their left side with letting this kid pancake people. 

about time this team started drafting my players !

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian