Players that need replaced in 2019 for the Bills to succeed?

PIZ

WR – Benjamin.  Terrible.

LG – Ducasse?  Seems more like a backup G to me.

C – Bodine?  Seems more like a backup center to me.

RB – McCoy.  I don’t expect him to be on the team in 2019.

RG – John Miller.  Need to get better here.

RT – Mills.  Need to get better here.

WR – Holmes.  Only OK at special teams.  Not a starter at WR.

(edit) QB - Peterman.  Anderson.  Not sure how I forgot this, but yes, probably both will not be on the roster next season.  We need a quality vet backup for Allen, and I would like to see another young guy that has some talent, to replace Peterman.

LB – Alexander.  Still a good player, but he is getting long in the tooth.

DT – Kyle Williams.  Retirement.

DE – Murphy.  Guy can’t stay healthy.

DE – Hughes.  Still a top player, but will he be traded?

CB – Gaines.  Need to get better here.

That is a ton of players.  Can the Bills fill these spots via FA and the draft?  Is it realistic to think the Bills can fill these spots with starters that will improve the team?  I think it is possible with the cap money ($91m) and draft picks (10 – below).

2019 draft picks:

Round 1original pick.

Round 2original pick.

Round 3: original pick.

Round 4original pick.

Round 4:  additional selection acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs as part of Reggie Ragland trade.

Round 5: original pick.

Round 5:  additional selection acquired from the Oakland Raiders as part of AJ McCarron trade.

Round 6original pick.

Round 7original pick.

Round 7:  additional selection acquired from the Carolina Panthers as part of Kevon Seymour trade.

Edited by PIZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

I love how people bring up the "we have 10 picks" BS, and they are all late round picks. This regime just drafted and cut a guy drafted in the 6th this year. Lol.

I don’t expect them to use all 10 picks. I expect them to use those picks to move up for specific guys that they have been trying to get. As an example, the Bills trade their 4th and a 5th to move back up to the end of day 2 if there is a player that they love. I expect them to pull 4 to 5 starters from the draft and hopefully some improved depth.

• Like (+1) 4

Considering the current talent level, I think a quick turn around for next year is unlikely.  We also will have new holes next season if KW, KB and McCoy do not return.  We do not have enough picks in the early rounds to expect a bunch of instant starters from next year's draft, and a number of teams have significant cap space for free agent acquisitions, so it will be competitive getting quality free agents to sign with the Bills.

I think this rebuild is going to take time, both in terms of upgrading the roster and the development of Allen.  As noted above, there is a lot of work that is needed to improve this team.

• Like (+1) 2

If they hit on half of their draft pics they are doing good. Need focus on building a dominant O-line as no. 1 priority. Need a fresh , young RB too. I wouldn't expect to go all in on receiver's at this point. Probably free agengy

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Considering the current talent level, I think a quick turn around for next year is unlikely.  We also will have new holes next season if KW, KB and McCoy do not return.  We do not have enough picks in the early rounds to expect a bunch of instant starters from next year's draft, and a number of teams have significant cap space for free agent acquisitions, so it will be competitive getting quality free agents to sign with the Bills.

I think this rebuild is going to take time, both in terms of upgrading the roster and the development of Allen.  As noted above, there is a lot of work that is needed to improve this team.

I agree. It's a long-term project; they can't fill all their holes in one offseason. If they can find a true #1 WR and solidly upgrade two OL spots, the offense should be significantly better next year.   

• Like (+1) 1

I think the roster overhaul will continue to be really significant this year. The Draft is deep on DL and DE / Edge which to me makes sense as to where you go with your 1st round pick depending on value and BPA. I hope the Bills spend most of their FA money on Offense. They need experience and immediate contributors on Offense to help Allen out and get this Offense to match the Defense in terms of production and playing ability. If and that's a huge IF - the Bills can get a really high quality C / RG and WR1 and WR3, and OLB starter along with really necessary depth at all the positions listed by OP, then the Bills can use the Draft as BPA because they need talent in every position group, with LB right now looking the best. Also, a true Vet QB needs to be a priority, but I don't think they can break the bank so a guy like Siemian would be a viable back-up, plus the Bills need to Draft one with one of their late round picks to continue to develop to be the long-term back-up solution, much like Reich was to Kelly. 

That said, just getting a FA WR1 will prove to be nearly impossible due to how infrequently they actually make it to market and truthfully, I don't know if the Bills philosophy is spend big on a FA WR anyways. There are some good second tier WRs if they make it out into FA, here's a link:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

That said, the Bills have a tall task for 2019, but they have the money and the Draft picks. Also, I'm fine with the Bills trading a 3rd or something along those lines or even into the 2nd if it's for a really good WR on a team that is about to bottom-out, the problem is, I don't know that such a player exists. I liked the Cooper idea because he's only 24 and he's shown he play at a high level in the NFL, despite some struggles, he still has just so much potential with a history of putting up some good numbers. 

you have stars and "those who belong out there" and scrubs on a given roster

every time you remove the first two you have to summon up another just to get back to ground zero

don't underestimate the power of the vast majority who belong out there

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

To the bolded portion, teams find good to great talent all over the Draft and they don't need to be 1st or 2nd round guys to be good. The NFL is littered with good to great talent found in all rounds of the Draft and just in the last two years the Bills drafted Milano and T. Johnson in the 5th and 4th rounds respectively and so far, all signs point to them both being really good players - way too early to make a determination, but indications are positive. 

Additionally, Wyatt Teller, showed really well in the Pre-Season and I'm guessing they kept Ducasse b/c he did perform fairly well and the Vet presence on the left side was intended to help their Rookie QB, but don't forget about him either - a 5th round pick. 

Kyle Williams a 5th round pick also. Point is, it doesn't need to be a high draft pick to get a really good player - I could go through a quick list of really great players in the mid to late rounds all over the NFL, but as for the Bills, first two years: so far, so good. 

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you have stars and "those who belong out there" and scrubs on a given roster

every time you remove the first two you have to summon up another just to get back to ground zero

don't underestimate the power of the vast majority who belong out there

200w.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bd1bcd1326776456f7

43 minutes ago, PIZ said:

WR – Benjamin.  Terrible.

LG – Ducasse?  Seems more like a backup G to me.

C – Bodine?  Seems more like a backup center to me.

RB – McCoy.  I don’t expect him to be on the team in 2019.

RG – John Miller.  Need to get better here.

RT – Mills.  Need to get better here.

WR – Holmes.  Only OK at special teams.  Not a starter at WR.

LB – Alexander.  Still a good player, but he is getting long in the tooth.

DT – Kyle Williams.  Retirement.

DE – Murphy.  Guy can’t stay healthy.

DE – Hughes.  Still a top player, but will he be traded?

CB – Gaines.  Need to get better here.

That is a ton of players.  Can the Bills fill these spots via FA and the draft?  Is it realistic to think the Bills can fill these spots with starters that will improve the team?  I think it is possible with the cap money ($91m) and draft picks (10 – below).

2019 draft picks:

Round 1original pick.

Round 2original pick.

Round 3: original pick.

Round 4original pick.

Round 4:  additional selection acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs as part of Reggie Ragland trade.

Round 5: original pick.

Round 5:  additional selection acquired from the Oakland Raiders as part of AJ McCarron trade.

Round 6original pick.

Round 7original pick.

Round 7:  additional selection acquired from the Carolina Panthers as part of Kevon Seymour trade.

All of those O-Lineman are horrible but even bad players show some signs of getting better. Castillo needs to be fired at the end of the year or my faith in any process working is out the window. Castillo will never be signed as a O-Line coach ever again and I would be surprised if this isn't his last stop. 

The current reality in the NFL seems to be that a lot of teams are in need of a #1 WR and upgrades on the o-line.  Look at the steep price paid for Cooper by the Cowboys, and I am not sure whether Cooper is a true #1.  Other teams were after him as well, including the Eagles.

I doubt there will be a #1 WR available in free agency next year.  This likely will need to be filled in the draft, and WRs can take time to develop, assuming that they do develop into quality players.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I love how people bring up the "we have 10 picks" BS, and they are all late round picks. This regime just drafted and cut a guy drafted in the 6th this year. Lol.

Beane loves to trade; there's a very good chance that they'll only end up picking between 5 and 7 players.

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t expect them to use all 10 picks. I expect them to use those picks to move up for specific guys that they have been trying to get. As an example, the Bills trade their 4th and a 5th to move back up to the end of day 2 if there is a player that they love. I expect them to pull 4 to 5 starters from the draft and hopefully some improved depth.

That, and I think they understand that the offensive is in a state of emergency.  They absolutely need to find out what they've got in Allen in 2019, and that means adding veteran WRs in addition to any rookies they draft.  I fully expect them to deal a mid-round pick for a WR, and maybe do the same at OL.

As to the OP, mostly on the money.  I look at it in terms of needs, which are (IMO) as follows:

Backup QB - I'd sign Fitzy in a heartbeat

Starting RB - I'm assuming Shady won't be here, and I'd like to see a 3rd/4th round back get into the mix with Murphy and Ivory

3 WRs - Trade for a veteran (like D. Thomas), sign a speed WR, and draft a speed WR

2 starting OGs - let Miller walk, cut Vlad, go with Teller as a competition guy, and sign 2 veterans (I'd go with Quinton Spain and Ramon Foster)

1 starting OT - pick your favorite of Daryl Williams, Ja'Wuan James, Ty Nsekhe, and Jared Veldheer

1-2 pass rushers - by virtue of need, they probably will be forced to hang onto 2 of Hughes/Shaq/Murphy; I'm happy to spend a first round pick on their favorite of this draft's crop of pass rushers

1-2 LBs - I'd definitely re-sign Alexander; he's been good in this D, is versatile, and is a good locker room guy, but the depth is scary, especially if Humber is let go

1 CB - the veteran market is always stocked with corners that can play

• Like (+1) 3

I don't expect them to have it all buttoned-up next season.

I expect something to the effect of:

-Making a trade for a relatively highly paid proven vet. Probably not elite, but a definite proven quantity at starter

-Hand out 1 or 2 semi-large contracts in FA, hopefully proven quantities as well

-Draft whoever we can given the remaining holes

-Stay near the cap floor (or at least nowhere near the cap limit), and carry that extra money into 2020 to fill out the team with another round of FA and another draft (plus you know Beane will be active with the trades).

Edited by Shotgunner
  • Like (+1) 1