I actually like Daboll!

The man is atleast attempting to run a real NFL offense. Very rarely do you see the run, run, pass combo we have come so accustom to over the last few years. Gone are the days of draw up the middle out of the shotgun for 1 yard over and over. 

The only issue is he is trying to run a modern day NFL offense with Junior College talent.  I think his stubbornness will pay off in the long run by helping to weed out the players who can’t hack it in a real offense. Much like we saw a defensive overhaul this year I would expect the same on offense next year.  

I have confidence that McBeane have the ability to figure it out, as they did on defense.  As far as McDermott, let’s not forget he got us to the playoffs with a joke of a roster last year.  This year any educated fan could see we were not built to win although there was always the outside chance much like last year.     

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I don't have a problem with Daboll either. I think his qualifications certainly exceed his current players on the offensive side of the ball. Am hoping he will be kept for year two to build some continuity. Having said that, it's unclear whether McDermott and Beane have the acumen to provide the O with impact starters in the upcoming draft and free agency. 2018 was a poor year for them. 2019 will be make or break for the FO with a lot riding on Josh Allen's progress.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, KOKO NFL said:

I don't have a problem with Daboll either. I think his qualifications certainly exceed his current players on the offensive side of the ball. Am hoping he will be kept for year two to build some continuity. Having said that, it's unclear whether McDermott and Beane have the acumen to provide the O with impact starters in the upcoming draft and free agency. 2018 was a poor year for them. 2019 will be make or break for the FO with a lot riding on Josh Allen's progress.

I don't think he really has qualifications, to be honest. He sucked as a coordinator with the Browns and then eventually took a lesser role with New England. Then he coordinated in Alabama for a year. The qualification shelf is pretty bare.

I get it that the offensive talent is a joke, but there really isn't any reason to believe that Daboll is any good.

My 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The only certain things in life are death, taxes and TSW hating whoever holds the job of Bills OC.

That means the other certain thing is that the Bills will always have a terrible offense?

When the offense doesn't suck, people won't hate the coordinator or the players. It's quite simple. When the results are bad, hate follows.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't think he really has qualifications, to be honest. He sucked as a coordinator with the Browns and then eventually took a lesser role with New England. Then he coordinated in Alabama for a year. The qualification shelf is pretty bare.

I get it that the offensive talent is a joke, but there really isn't any reason to believe that Daboll is any good.

My 2 cents.

That means the other certain thing is that the Bills will always have a terrible offense?

When the offense doesn't suck, people won't hate the coordinator or the players. It's quite simple. When the results are bad, hate follows.

I agree there isn't much to lead you to believe Daboll is up to it. But the talent is so bad I really struggle to evaluate the job he is doing here in Buffalo. The offense they ran the first 4 weeks was pretty creative. After the team layed an egg against Green Bay they have simplified and gone to a very vanilla look. I suspect that is on McDermott's orders but for me the problem is talent. You can run misdirection run plays with complex blocking schemes or you can run simpler rushing plays with straightforward blocking. Eventually your guy has to beat their guy. It isn't happening enough. Same with route combinations for the receivers you can innovate or simplify eventually your guys has to get open and catch the ball. The problem is clearly talent to my mind. Daboll may still suck with talent. But our guys can't execute anything at all with any consistency. 

As for fans only hating bad OCs.... nah. Plenty hated Greg Roman too and he was pretty good. But for plenty of fans here he ran it too much, too many 3 and outs, didn't let Tyrod loose (he got the best production of Tyrod's career out of Tyrod) etc. The Bills fans will only be happy when we have a coordinator who calls 60%+ pass plays and they are almost all well executed. Which is another way of saying what they really want is a Franchise Quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

My 2 cents.

!st yr OC with this team, 1st yr new scheme, loss of 3 veteran starting offensive linemen one of which was a pro bowler, well below average WR corp, Rookie QB after a 2nd round 2nd yr QB with less than NFL potential starts the yr, then insert almost retired average at best QB with a career 20-27 win percentage after rookie gets hurt to carry the team .

Sounds logical to me why you would think this OC sucks yah he has plenty to work with & there was no uphill battle here at all so WTF Dabol get off your A** & get this team on the winning side of things !!  

6 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

What offense will maximize each players talents? That's his job.

Seriously, did you look at your screen name before posting this?

I have seen this movie over and over. People have been blaming the Bills losses on coaches, assistants, and schemes.

We all have our own coping mechanisms but the truth is, this team has little to no talent and almost none at all on offense.

I am just hoping once again for a good, sensible draft and that Josh can stay healthy behind this high school level OL.

PS: There WERE coaches who were bad beyond words. Jauron comes to mind. Daboll is a good football man but his job would be impossible for the best coaches of all time.

• Like (+1) 4

What's odd to me is that there are many folks here who contend that it's impossible to evaluate Josh Allen this season given the poor talent he has around him - yet have no problem criticizing Daboll.  If it's true for Allen, it's true for Daboll...

I have no idea if he's a good OC or not.  What I do know is that Brandon Beane's personnel department cannot evaluate offense and, I suspect, Beane lacks a coherent strategy for building an offense.  Hopefully at the very least Daboll knows what he looks for in the various positions on offense and can effectively communicate that to Beane ahead of this critical offseason.  It may be more important than his play calling abilities.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 5

It is extremely hard to judge Daboll given the Rookie QB / total garbage dump that is behind Allen, the lazy WR who looks like he'd rather be playing shuffle board than football and the TE who received an inflated contract due to Greg Roman's scheme and then couldn't stay healthy or effective and an aging RB with as many miles as trailer trash hooker with Two-For-Tuesdays coupon book since 1970. 

I agree with the OP that I *do* think McBeane will get it all to come together and that they simply focused on building to their strengths first, cleaning off the Cap mess, and then completely overhaul the Offense. 

If you look at it objectively McD took their LT of the future to protect the QBs blindside, they took the all time leader in FBS history in catches to give the QB an outlet who was sure-handed and then took their QB. The motive and the plan was pretty well thought-out, but Zay had a torn labrum last year and then in the tripping incident at the Jets couldn't recover so he looked worse because of an injury no one knew about until after the season. Add in two retirements on the Offensive line they did not anticipate and a WR who just quit on the team and yazda - it's the mess that it is now. When the first Draft occurred they had both Wood and Incognito under contract for a couple more years and Drafted Dawkins and Clay was under contract so they had what they thought was their pass-catching TE. Yes, they had this last Off-season to address the Offense, but we know now that there was a commitment to clean up the Cap so they never planned on spending a lot of money in FA and when they did, they again decided to build on Defense so that they could try to keep the games close and hope the Offense could do something, just enough to win. But, they also knew once Wood and Richie left, it was going to be ugly.

Until next year, I reserve judgment on Daboll and believe McBeane will get players and talent to surround Allen. If they don't then next year will be McD's last along with Daboll. But, I think Beane gets a chance to pick one more HC before Pegula fires him IF it ever comes to that. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What's odd to me is that there are many folks here who contend that it's impossible to evaluate Josh Allen this season given the poor talent he has around him - yet have no problem criticizing Daboll.  If it's true for Allen, it's true for Daboll...

I have no idea if he's a good OC or not.

100% correct. Both evaluations are almost impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

My 2 cents.

This is the correct take on Daboll.