Here is why I'm not panicking...

Hebert19

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What history?  They have been here for TWO YEARS

One of them with a playoff birth lol

And what FA diamonds have they mined. Teams with large war chests rarely hit on Free agents. Think Derrick Dockery and Albert Haynesworth. 

Playoffs? They backed in......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Why do people think since we have all that cap space it will turn this team around?  

Because that's what you use to pay your players. Having 50 million in dead cap means you have 50 million dollars worth less of talent. It means you can cut a bunch of the crappy cheap guys who made the roster and upgrade them with more talented and more expensive versions. Plus it allows you to sign a couple good, starter caliber players.

It is foolish to think that spending $80 million more on this team next year will not make it better.

We'll see a big roster turnover next year, especially on offense. The team will be more talented guaranteed.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Point #3 sounds good as you type it, but I wouldn't describe it in the manner.

Rather, I'd suggest we drafted a project who has never shown signs of being successful in the NFL and he hasn't changed from the profile to date.  No reason to expect him to, either.  

I.E., we have no QB and are highly likely to have no QB next year as well.

That renders all the other points moot.  

It's not about panic, it's about this team maybe, some day, getting good again.

I mean, he played pretty much a perfect game in his second career start at Minnesota but somehow everyone seems to have forgotten this already.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm optimistic about their cap situation and draft position for next year. If they use those assets successfully, they should get back into playoff contention.

I'm pessimistic about their QB situation. Allen is a huge project and they need a proven vet in front of him for a couple years.

Until they get the QB situation fixed, I'm pessimistic about long term success. 

6 minutes ago, iinii said:

And what FA diamonds have they mined. Teams with large war chests rarely hit on Free agents. Think Derrick Dockery and Albert Haynesworth. 

Playoffs? They backed in......

Your attempts to belittle what they actually have done are assanine

What free agent diamonds?

Ivory looks pretty damn solid.....so we are going to judge them in a year when they are eating a huge dead cap sandwich as to why they are not bringing in free agents?

Come on

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Your attempts to belittle what they actually have done are assanine

What free agent diamonds?

Ivory looks pretty damn solid.....so we are going to judge them in a year when they are eating a huge dead cap sandwich as to why they are not bringing in free agents?

Come on

They created the sandwich.

Putting Peterman back on the field was asinine.

Edited by iinii

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

2.  We have 80 million + in cap space next year.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

6.  Draft or sign OL, WR, TE, CB and RB and we have 80M and 10 picks to do it.  

Looks to me like the rams from last year if Allen makes the jump next year. 

Here is why you are mostly wrong

1. Most of those picks are on day 3 - so a hefty dose of Ray Ray and Proehl type talent - ie mostly special team bums, PS guys, and if you are lucky a Stevie Johnson.  Also both Beane and McD have traded up multiple times wasting valuable early round selections with the notable exception of tradig down to get White.

2. Many teams will have as much or more than the Bills.  I am not one of those guys that thinks players will not sign in Buffalo or that the Bills need to pay a premium.  But I also have no confidence in Beane to spend wisely.  Beane created the dead cap mess.  Star, Murphy, the guy that retired, Bodine, DiMarco(I know that was McD) are all horrible wastes of money

3. Agree

4. Have you seen the games against San Diego, Baltimore, and Indy?  And just because McD keeps saying they are young doesn;t make it so.  Hughes is the best defender this year and is pushing 30, KW will be gone, and Star, Murphy, Shaq, Poyer, Hyde, Lorax, and whatever DB is playing opposite White are not very young.  At best the core of the defense is average with a star 2nd year DB and a 20 year old MLB that is playing like he should have stayed in college.  

5. White is great. Dawkins is slighlty above average but wasted an additional pick. Zay has been mostly terrible.  Milano is hot and cold but better than I thought.  Beane's career will be decided by Allen. Edmund's looks far from legit and again wasted picks moving up.  Johnson sure looks like a good middle round pick.  Wouldn't it be nice to have had 4 more of those the last two years??? Phillips looks like KW. Doesn't play like him.  But DT is a very hard position to learn in NFL.  

6.  The OL is not a single player.  They need upgrades at C, RG, LG, and RT.  They need a #1 WR, a #1 TE, a #2 DB, and assuming they trade Shady a competent RB.  Add back-up QB, another S, and depth guys.  That is 8+ starters.  That will not happen in a single off-season.  Best case sceanrio they start to tank and a couple of the reserve O-linemen get playing time and look at least competent.

The Rams had far more talent before Goff turned his career around.  And so far, it does not appear McD can pick an OC worth a dam.  The last one destroyed a top 5 running game with a zone blocking scheme, Castillo appears clueless, and Daboll just sounds dumb.  Another Belichick castoff that has never produced outside of the shadow of his mentor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Ironically perhaps the greatest thing to happen to the Buffalo Bills in the last 18 years was Trump not buying the Bills. Our gain was the rest of the countries loss.  

I'd be willing to suffer that kind of ownership over something frivolous like a sports team (that I happen to love despite my brain's otherwise apparent logic)...

...IF it meant he wouldn't have pursued his current ownership position.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Point #3 sounds good as you type it, but I wouldn't describe it in the manner.

Rather, I'd suggest we drafted a project who has never shown signs of being successful in the NFL and he hasn't changed from the profile to date.  No reason to expect him to, either.  

I.E., we have no QB and are highly likely to have no QB next year as well.

That renders all the other points moot.  

It's not about panic, it's about this team maybe, some day, getting good again.

FFS just give up. Everybody knows how you feel. You say it multiple times in every thread and nobody here can do anything about it. You seem like a switched on dude, surely there is more to add to conversations.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Because that's what you use to pay your players. Having 50 million in dead cap means you have 50 million dollars worth less of talent. It means you can cut a bunch of the crappy cheap guys who made the roster and upgrade them with more talented and more expensive versions. Plus it allows you to sign a couple good, starter caliber players.

It is foolish to think that spending $80 million more on this team next year will not make it better.

We'll see a big roster turnover next year, especially on offense. The team will be more talented guaranteed.

One thing I like about Beane is he will grab talent at any position it turns up.   Johnson, the Phillips-es , the punter.. if you keep doing that, stay away from mega contracts, and have a top 10 QB (let's hope Allen is it) , you can win sustainably in the NFL for at least a few years..  We'll see if Allen matures.  None of the so called top 4 drafted QBs look very good so far, so who knows on that just yet. 

Trust the process.  

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Because the inverse of that (also known as this year) is a definite handicap, so the issue is one of flexibility to go out and get quality additions—of course no guarantees but definitely preferable to the straight jacket we’re in now. Flash enough cash and even the most warm weather loving FA’s will land here 

if the money is equal , the best FAs are going somewhere else, history proves that.  but McBeanes (a) can sign their own guys who have figured out this franchise is actually a pretty good place to play and (b) grab mid tier FAs who can contribute at a high level -- thats all about scouting and player personnel knowledge, which I think these guys have in spades.

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Like (+1) 1

I anticipate they will use their cap space to go after guys that are under the radar but fit their plan.  Like a Hyde or Poyer.  They will draft well like they did last year, maybe package some lower round picks to move up a bit.  They will add talent to the offense as they did with the defense last year.  Not that they will ignore the defense completely (they have a shot at a guy like Bosa they'd be dumb not to grab him), but they know they need to get more offense to help Allen.

The assumption that they are too dumb to figure it out is actually what's dumb.  They like any other team have their idea what positions they feel are critical, where they want to focus and they will.  Lastvdraft they got the young guys they want to lead the O and D.  They will continue to build around them.  Will they have great talent at all positions using next year's draft and cap space?  No.  But no team in the league has great talent at every position.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

Can you put some perspective on 80 million of cap space? I'm not sure what that gets us. For example....how much cap space would a proven FA RECEIVER eat up. Sorry I don't have time too look it up....thought you might shed some light on the impact of 80 million.

Edited by The Process

Other team will have cap space to sign FAs...players aren't going to sign here just because the Bills have money available....all teams participate in free agency.

The extra picks are in the 4th 5th and 7th rounds....this team needs some star players on offense to turn this around...not going to get them in later rounds

Edited by nucci

8 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Been thinking of starting a similar thread lately.  They are going to have a very good defense next season.  They are going to have a ton of money and draft capital to invest in the offense.  If Josh Allen works out, they'll be good as soon as next year.  If he doesn't, they won't be good and they can use their top pick in 2020 on a QB, who will step into a very favorable situation.  The long term outlook is fine.  

Good post!!!

I agree, providing the Bills don't destroy their draft opportunity in 2019, which sadly is far from a forgone conclusion.

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

You can't keep calling Allen "franchise guy" when he's dead last in every throwing category (all per game, not total, so missing games doesn't factor in). Yard per attempt ("Rocket arm") dead last, 20+ yard passes completed dead last, completion % dead last, TD % dead last, TD to INT ratio dead last, yards per game, he's dead last.

Right now we have a massive ? at QB, a coach that is so stubborn in playing a certain way (hello Jeff Fisher) who has managed to make the #1 rushing attack suck 2 straight years, and doesn't believe in explosive/speedy WRs, he'd rather have a giant lumbering idiots like KB. This is Goff gone badly if we don't make the right moves and right now I have 0 trust in McDefense to get anything right on offense. Speaking of defense, if the defense doesn't get turnovers, we get our doors blown off. We've lost by 20+ in 30% of the damn games we play with McTurnover so it's hard to feel good about this defense either. 

I felt so good going into this year but every single one of my worries is coming to fruition. I really thought the defense would be consistent. 

1 hour ago, The Process said:

Can you put some perspective on 80 million of cap space? I'm not sure what that gets us. For example....how much cap space would a proven FA RECEIVER eat up. Sorry I don't have time too look it up....thought you might shed some light on the impact of 80 million.

The best FA WRs next offseason don't hold a candle stick to the guys that were available this year and will go for more money because that's how ecomomics work. Tyrell Williams and Golden Tate are the headliners and will cost around 14-16 per.

Edited by Elite Poster