How Lorenzo Alexander's New Role Helped Maximize His Impact - Named Bills' Walter Payton Man of the Year; There is Mutual Interest to Bring Him Back in 2019

From Bills Today

1- Lorenzo Alexander wants to retire as a Bill

Rarely do you see an NFL player performing at an extremely high level well into their 30s.

Lorenzo Alexander isn’t like most NFL players.

The Buffalo linebacker has aged like a fine wine, actually improving as his career has progressed. Prior to joining the Bills in 2016, Alexander had been a career special teamer, a reliable player who had appeared in the Pro Bowl thanks to his excellence in that phase of the game.

Once Alexander finally received the opportunity to consistently start, he seized it, totaling 12.5 sacks in the 2016 season. The veteran feels as though his lack of starting experience actually helped him, as his accumulated football knowledge was complemented by a full tank of gas.

“Obviously, early in my career, I was a predominantly special teams player.” Alexander shared on WGR 550’s The Howard and Jeremy Show. “I think that saved me later in my career because I don’t have the same mileage as your average 35-year-old because I wasn’t a starter, I played only maybe 15 plays on defense and then all the special teams plays.”

Alexander has proven that he wasn’t a one-year wonder, as he followed up his breakout 2016 campaign with a solid season in 2017. Through 12 games this season, the 35-year-old has recorded 46 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and seven pass deflections.

Now in his 12th professional season, Alexander is undoubtedly in the twilight of his career. While he has yet to make a decision on his future, there’s only one team that he would want to play for should he decide to come back for another year.

“We’ll see what happens,” Alexander said. “I’ve definitely thought about, ‘Do I want to play or not?’ Obviously, I’ve expressed that I would like to retire a Bill. I think the team would like me to be here as well. But I’ll make that make that decision as far as playing or not after the season.

“I definitely think I have another year in the tank for me. I’ll talk to my wife and we’ll make a decision, then hopefully me and the Bills can come to an agreement, and I’ll be able to retire here as a Buffalo Bill.”
  • Like (+1) 1