Media trying to get McDermott fired.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

That's the roster building combo that many are wary of

Like it or not I am pretty sure they will not be fired before their 5 years are up.

Pegs will let them work their plan.

18 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

McDermott is going nowhere.

McDermott is a very respectable defensive coordinator. That’s it. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because A: it doesn't take any real talent to unload the talented players from the roster. and B: it takes talent to find their replacements and coach them.  It's "B" tha tposters seem to worry about, given McD's coaching and roster choices in the past year in particular.

He hasn't instilled confidence that he will suddenly be able to draft/assemble a productive offense. 

They haven't focused on that side of the ball, true.  But they have a young QB (what happened to all the folks who kept going on and on that nothing else mattered except drafting a QB?), they have a gut at LT that will be a fixture for a while, and Jones is coming around. So they have their QB and LT, and potential for a solid #2 WR.  Especially with LT and QB, those are two positions you have to have on an offense.

I will be at the head of the line if they do not focus on the offensive side of the ball this coming off-season.  But this idea they can't recognize talent is just over the top whining in my opinion.  Let them pick their guys first, then I'll look at it objectively.

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'll give you Darby because they 're did the whole secondary and did a great job.

As far as Dareus and his"cancer", what I remember is our D got runned over in 3 strAight blow out losses immediately after he left and he sacked our QB in the playoffs.

say what you want about Sammy, but one of the smartest offensive guys in the NFL thinks he's good enough to start for him and you and McDermott dont. Ok, I'll side with Andy Reid.

And yes, Woods.  I don't know if he wanted to sign here or how much bla bla blah.   He wanted to be paid. Like all good NFL players.  You have to have them to win.   You get what you pay for.

why do we never have money to sign people while Atlanta has Ryan (fat wallet), Jones (fat wallet), Sanu who the signed (fat wallet), and Ridley who they traded up into 1st round for yet we never do? I don't buy it.

I understand what you are saying about the whole not paying for top tier talent and the "you get what you pay for".  I 100% agree with that...  And Woods is a prime example, guy was/is a stud.  We don't have money currently (due to their decisions to offload players), but that changes after this season and then there are no excuses..... IF we keep this staff.... but if we replace them, then its just a brand new staff saying "just give us time to get our guys".

43 minutes ago, SoTier said:

They wouldn't have been hired in the first place if the Pegulas thought that they would put a team on the field that would get blown out by 20 or more points with regularity ...

I'm sure that McBeane didn't include that in their pitch to the Pegula's but that does happen to be a byproduct of eating all of this dead cap that we have this year

18 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually he does not. 

With Rex we were 15-16  .484

Coach McDermott presently is sitting on 11-11 .500  If you count playoffs, then yeah, he's 11-12.  .478

Getting the coach fired worked for them with Rex.  Why not crank it up again? They need clicks evidently.

I think what they're doing this year stinks to high heaven.  But I would give them the rest of this year and next.  If the win total does not go up by at least 3, they'd probably be out.

He's actually 11-12 excluding the playoffs.

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

You can’t really say that McD has a certain time period before he is fired..

If the players quit on him then he will be gone..

Saw some signs last week that the Defense was going through the motions..It’s a given that the Offense is going to suck so if the D stops trying then it’s danger time ahead for McD..They supposedly have just about fixed this side of the ball right? 

Will be watching the effort next week very closely..they will be in the national spotlight so hope that means something to the players..

IMO, McCoach loses the locker room before the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They haven't focused on that side of the ball, true.  But they have a young QB (what happened to all the folks who kept going on and on that nothing else mattered except drafting a QB?), they have a gut at LT that will be a fixture for a while, and Jones is coming around. So they have their QB and LT, and potential for a solid #2 WR.  Especially with LT and QB, those are two positions you have to have on an offense.

I will be at the head of the line if they do not focus on the offensive side of the ball this coming off-season.  But this idea they can't recognize talent is just over the top whining in my opinion.  Let them pick their guys first, then I'll look at it objectively.

It's really not.  It's a legit charge.  Many posters here have well documented the bad talent choices McD has made the past 2 years.  The QB position encapsulates his talent recognition deficit perfectly---going back to the 2017 draft all the way to Having Anderson as the starter for week 8.  The WR spot is also a mess, with nutty choices this year alone.

It's really not whining.  It's well documented shaky move making.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's really not.  It's a legit charge.  Many posters here have well documented the bad talent choices McD has made the past 2 years.  The QB position encapsulates his talent recognition deficit perfectly---going back to the 2017 draft all the way to Having Anderson as the starter for week 8.  The WR spot is also a mess, with nutty choices this year alone.

It's really not whining.  It's well documented shaky move making.

Well, I obviously disagree overall, but having said that there are criticisms that can be made, and I have made them.  I have said that they should have gotten a veteran QB in when they traded McCarron.  I don't think it would have changed the progress or record of this season one iota, but it would at least have given Allen a more experienced voice to provide advice.

Now, as for the 2017 QB draft, I have said often I would have liked Watson.  But we have seen he's struggled a bit more this year, in part due to a terrible O line in front of him.  Mahomes?  The revisionist history on that one is illuminating.  Go back and look at the pre-draft critiques about his footwork, playing in a single read offense, etc.  Some of those are ery reminiscent of what was said about Allen.  No question Mahomes has shown he's a dynamic young QB, but he also has a lot of weapons around him.  All told, I am OK going forward with Allen.

WR?  They took a shot at some veteran guys, exactly what folks were complaining about.  Boldin who retired, Kerley who as far as I know hasn't caught on anywhere.  Coleman, which I think was a mistake.  Benjamin last year was brought in when they felt they needed a guy to help get them to the playoffs, which they did.  They could have taken a shot at Gordon, and probably the only place Gordo works out is NE where Brady and Belichick might have a chance at controlling him , and the jury is out there.   

So what else?

12 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s how you clean out the pantry! I have zero problem with most of it. Toss out the Whole Foods stuff with a questionable smell or past the expiration date and do some Costco shopping in the draft for some fine ingredients. 

We knew this would be a down year, so it’s too soon to judge what it might be a couple years down the road. I admit this is uglier than I expected, but I’m prepared to wait it out before judging. But that’s just me....

Name any other team in NFL history that has done a rebuild to this extent then been successful?

the Vikings game was great but we can probably acknowledge that it was an outlier and isn't indicative of the kind of performance and season we're going to get this year game-in and game-out.  it's not really a valid example of how the team is doing and therefore it's not really a valid argument that the coaching staff is doing a good job.

Yes, it's a rebuild and "the process" is still in the process of getting things turned around but the QB situation we're in right now is proof that the coaching staff could've, and should've, planned things better for this year than they have.  Proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance and we've got a lot of piss-poor performance going on right now.

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....would agree Doc that it would be a serious consideration.....so from your perspective, who stays and who goes?.....we don't know the extent of McDermott's power.....is McBeane the fingered culprit?.....does Pegula fire McDermott and retain McBeane?.....do they BOTH go?.......does Pegula get involved ala the "Wade Effect" , demanding certain coaches go or else?.....Wade protected and lost......this time NEXT year should be interesting if we're taking on the "same amount of water"...stay tuned....

I don't know, but I have a feeling if McDermott goes down, the Pegula's may try to bring in a football czar ala Coughlin with the Jags to sort things out. Not sure who would be considered, but there must be some old, crusty fellas who qualify.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know, but I have a feeling if McDermott goes down, the Pegula's may try to bring in a football czar ala Coughlin with the Jags to sort things out. Not sure who would be considered, but there must be some old, crusty fellas who qualify.

...LOL......he could re-dial his first choice, Polian........interesting that when he first contacted Polian, Schwartz who was still here as DC said in inner circles, "if that happens, I'll just resign......I have plenty to live on (had $13 mil coming from Lions).....".......never heard what his actual or specific objection was though.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Cowboys under Johnson.

Johnson inherited an already crap 3-13 team a little different than what happened here and they accomplished what they accomplished by trading basically one player and fleecing the Vikings. They didn't purge and tank then rebuild.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, I obviously disagree overall, but having said that there are criticisms that can be made, and I have made them.  I have said that they should have gotten a veteran QB in when they traded McCarron.  I don't think it would have changed the progress or record of this season one iota, but it would at least have given Allen a more experienced voice to provide advice.

Now, as for the 2017 QB draft, I have said often I would have liked Watson.  But we have seen he's struggled a bit more this year, in part due to a terrible O line in front of him.  Mahomes?  The revisionist history on that one is illuminating.  Go back and look at the pre-draft critiques about his footwork, playing in a single read offense, etc.  Some of those are ery reminiscent of what was said about Allen.  No question Mahomes has shown he's a dynamic young QB, but he also has a lot of weapons around him.  All told, I am OK going forward with Allen.

WR?  They took a shot at some veteran guys, exactly what folks were complaining about.  Boldin who retired, Kerley who as far as I know hasn't caught on anywhere.  Coleman, which I think was a mistake.  Benjamin last year was brought in when they felt they needed a guy to help get them to the playoffs, which they did.  They could have taken a shot at Gordon, and probably the only place Gordo works out is NE where Brady and Belichick might have a chance at controlling him , and the jury is out there.   

So what else?

Watson had bigger criticism pre draft than Mahomes.  I'll take the L on my dragging of Andy Reid on that pick---but he JUMPED up to get Mahomes.  The Bills took a CB in the 1st round (TJ Watt was right there at a need position, so was Njoku at TE---a decades long need for the Bills).

The Bills also could have drafted McCoy's replacement for peanuts.  They weren't even thinking about that.  They picked Zay Jones when Cook and Kamara were better bets.  Imagine this young offense going forward with either of those two and  Cupp instead of "coming around" Zay Jones and Dawkins....

In 2018, as one poster upstream noted, it cost them a lot to get Allen.  I'm on board with that because they needed to pull the trigger in the best QB draft we will see for years to come.   And for WR?  Thise 2nd round picks took them out of the sweet spot where a haul of good rookie WRs were picked.  Passed in the 3rd and 5th too.Instead, they waited and then drafted 2 guys who likely would have gone undrafted with picks 6 and 7.  St. Brown was considered a top 10 WR prospect and got picked after "Ray Ray". Gage, St. Brown, Wilson, Ateman, Tate were all considered top 25 and all were available in the 6th.

So this is why there can be legitimate doubt as to the ability of McD to pick a new offense this offseason.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Cowboys under Johnson.

30 years ago?  They went 1-15 in Johnson’s first year.  He inherited a mess.  McBeane didn’t.  

Maybe the Vikings will give us three first rounders for McCoy, and he can be McBeane’s Herschel Walker.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1