QB is always the root of offensive problems

mjt328

So the common theme I keep reading is that Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott either:

a)  Don't want their team to be good on offense, and want to win games by low scores, OR

b)  Are totally clueless on how to find offensive talent.

The first theory is totally ridiculous.  If Beane/McDermott were not interested in the offensive side of the ball, they wouldn't have spent nearly 12 months acquiring draft capitol for the sole-purpose of trading up to get the riskiest QB in the draft, simply because he had the highest ceiling.  This was not a conservative or remotely safe decision.

Whether Beane/McDermott are clueless about the offensive side of the ball has yet to be determined.

Yes, the offense is terrible.  Maybe the worst we've seen in Buffalo since Jim Kelly retired (and that's really saying something).

But I'm 100% convinced that our struggles on offense are MOSTLY related to the play of our quarterbacks.  They are dragging everything down.

Anybody who reviews All-22 film will readily admit that our O-Line is actually playing decent.  They struggled badly the first two weeks, but have really settled in since Minnesota.  Most of the sacks are because of our QB leaving the pocket or holding the ball too long.  The two best blockers this season are easily Dion Dawkins and Vlad Ducasse, who were both pickups of this regime.  The worst breakdowns each week are coming from the right side of the line with John Miller and Jordan Mills, both hold-overs from Doug Whaley. 

On the Wide Receivers, complain about Kelvin Benjamin, and how terrible of a decision it was to get him.  They complain that Zay Jones is a huge bust.  But how are we supposed to make a true judgment about Benjamin or Jones, when our QBs cannot find open receivers with any consistency AND then cannot get the ball to them accurately?  Before Benjamin came to Buffalo, he put up 1008 and 941 yards, then was on pace for 950 yards in his third season.  He wasn't setting the world on fire, but he was a good NFL starter.  Since the trade, he's got a whopping 434 yards in 13 games.  Is it just possible that our problem is not Benjamin, but the people throwing him the ball?

With no threat passing the ball, even LeSean McCoy is having the worst season of his career.

It all comes back to Quarterback.  I truly believe we could trade for AJ Green and Antonio Brown in the offseason, and our passing game would still be in shambles without Josh Allen taking a significant step forward.  Even if we dedicate 100% of our draft/free agent resources on upgrading that side of the ball, we need our QB to step forward - or it's all going to be pointless.  It all falls on Allen's shoulders.

Of course I realize that our current front office owns this QB situation.  And it's fair to question whether they provided the best situation for him to develop in.  But at the end of the day, we all SHOULD have expected these kind of struggles with a rookie quarterback.  Especially one who was considered a big project by even his biggest supporters.  Whether Allen becomes a Hall of Famer or the next Jamarcus Russell, this was the way his first season was always going to look. 

This was the journey we all agreed to when we advocated for a 1st Round QB.  And we won't know for another year or two whether Beane/McDermott made a massive mistake, or a brilliant decision in drafting him.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

So the common theme I keep reading is that Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott either:

a)  Don't want their team to be good on offense, and want to win games by low scores, OR

b)  Are totally clueless on how to find offensive talent.

The first theory is totally ridiculous.  If Beane/McDermott were not interested in the offensive side of the ball, they wouldn't have spent nearly 12 months acquiring draft capitol for the sole-purpose of trading up to get the riskiest QB in the draft, simply because he had the highest ceiling.  This was not a conservative or remotely safe decision.

Whether Beane/McDermott are clueless about the offensive side of the ball has yet to be determined.

Yes, the offense is terrible.  Maybe the worst we've seen in Buffalo since Jim Kelly retired (and that's really saying something).

But I'm 100% convinced that our struggles on offense are MOSTLY related to the play of our quarterbacks.  They are dragging everything down.

Anybody who reviews All-22 film will readily admit that our O-Line is actually playing decent.  They struggled badly the first two weeks, but have really settled in since Minnesota.  Most of the sacks are because of our QB leaving the pocket or holding the ball too long.  The two best blockers this season are easily Dion Dawkins and Vlad Ducasse, who were both pickups of this regime.  The worst breakdowns each week are coming from the right side of the line with John Miller and Jordan Mills, both hold-overs from Doug Whaley. 

On the Wide Receivers, complain about Kelvin Benjamin, and how terrible of a decision it was to get him.  They complain that Zay Jones is a huge bust.  But how are we supposed to make a true judgment about Benjamin or Jones, when our QBs cannot find open receivers with any consistency AND then cannot get the ball to them accurately?  Before Benjamin came to Buffalo, he put up 1008 and 941 yards, then was on pace for 950 yards in his third season.  He wasn't setting the world on fire, but he was a good NFL starter.  Since the trade, he's got a whopping 434 yards in 13 games.  Is it just possible that our problem is not Benjamin, but the people throwing him the ball?

With no threat passing the ball, even LeSean McCoy is having the worst season of his career.

It all comes back to Quarterback.  I truly believe we could trade for AJ Green and Antonio Brown in the offseason, and our passing game would still be in shambles without Josh Allen taking a significant step forward.  Even if we dedicate 100% of our draft/free agent resources on upgrading that side of the ball, we need our QB to step forward - or it's all going to be pointless.  It all falls on Allen's shoulders.

Of course I realize that our current front office owns this QB situation.  And it's fair to question whether they provided the best situation for him to develop in.  But at the end of the day, we all SHOULD have expected these kind of struggles with a rookie quarterback.  Especially one who was considered a big project by even his biggest supporters.  Whether Allen becomes a Hall of Famer or the next Jamarcus Russell, this was the way his first season was always going to look. 

This was the journey we all agreed to when we advocated for a 1st Round QB.  And we won't know for another year or two whether Beane/McDermott made a massive mistake, or a brilliant decision in drafting him.

The wide receivers do not get open as well as the WR's on 31 other teams.  That is a huge problem.  They drop the ball more often than pretty much ever other set of WR's as well.  It is possible that Daboll can't draw up plays to get receivers open.  But anyone watching football games without the benefit of all-22 sees WRs getting wide open all the time quickly.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

My ultimate gripe. You're describing the definition of opportunity cost. At least Whaley gave his bust Quarterback an immediate chance to succeed quickly. The difference feels like 1 GM was confident you could win quickly, the other is taking his sweet time and basically holding onto his job. If it really boils down to cap then I'm giving these guys next year to not completely suck

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

You'll never convince me that this is a decent OL.

Even if it is "passable" at times... the OL needs to be DOMINANT, in my opinion.

If I'm starting a football team, I'm starting with the OL. 

I'm not opposed to drafting receiver first and literally every offensive line position afterwards

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, wiskibreth said:

So.. how does the QB make Shady look bad again?  That one went over my head.

He throws a really crappy screen, likely doesn't keep defenses honest, but otherwise yeah Shady should still be able to make more plays. The Barry Sanders Le'Veon Bell and Shady types can you get away with bad offense provided Shady really is what he's billed to be right now and not over the hill

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He throws a really crappy screen, likely doesn't keep defenses honest, but otherwise yeah Shady should still be able to make more plays. The Barry Sanders Le'Veon Bell and Shady types can you get away with bad offense provided Shady really is what he's billed to be right now and not over the hill

He's certainly not making people miss like he used to...

1 minute ago, wiskibreth said:

He's certainly not making people miss like he used to...

And when he does, NO breakaway speed. On the rare occasion he makes those awesome ankle breakers I often see the guy hustle back and catch up to him

Jelly of that screenname

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

7 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

I think it's because our aerial attack is so pathetic that no one respects it and loads the box to stop the run.

I'm just guessing what the OP meant.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think it's because our aerial attack is so pathetic that no one respects it and loads the box to stop the run.

I'm just guessing what the OP meant.  

Then coaching needs to recognize that and make adjustments.  Throw more on first down.  Take ad vantage of 1-on-1 on the outsides.

There's simply way too many factors at play to sit back and claim "it's all about the QB"  B.S.  I refuse to buy into that.  He plays a significant role, but he's not solely responsible.  When the QB is struggling, EVERYONE needs to step up and help.

24 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

This line, this receiving group, add Tom Brady. We would have a team full of pro bowlers and nobody would be complaining

Just like before Edelman returned and Josh Gordon was traded this season ? 

Lions and Jags crushed the bums 

Supertroll fail 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

Defenses loading the box.  Failing to sustain drives.  Not being able to take advantage of his receiving skills.

28 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Thing is even McCarron and Anderson struggled mightily in this offense, those two guys may not be All-Pros but they've had legitimate NFL careers. Nobody looks good in this offense, Daboll is the problem, he can't get anything going.

Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009[1] and the 29th ranked offense in 2010.[2] Daboll was named Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Tony Sparano in 2011, with his Dolphins improving from 30th in the league to 20th in overall offense.[3] 

Wow stellar career. Give the fans the play-book....use an instant voting app. to send in the play calls. I'll bet it wouldn't be worse.

QB is the most important position, but this thread makes it sound like the only position. I do agree that Allen is a huge gamble with a very suspect past at Wyoming. There is no early indication that he'll succeed. The 2 most important qualities for an NFL QB are accuracy and the ability to make smart, quick decisions. Allen has not demonstrated either of these qualities in his rookie year. Football smarts and IQ are not the same thing and innacuracy is seldom fixed. I'm still hopeful, though.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

If our offensive line is so good, why can't we run for more than a yard and a half on first down? Is the QB responsible for that too? The holding calls on running plays, the pre-snap penalties, is that the QB's fault? Yes we have issues at QB but the notion that the line is hunky dory doesn't wash.

6 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

QB is the most important position, but this thread makes it sound like the only position. I do agree that Allen is a huge gamble with a very suspect past at Wyoming. There is no early indication that he'll succeed. The 2 most important qualities for an NFL QB are accuracy and the ability to make smart, quick decisions. Allen has not demonstrated either of these qualities in his rookie year. Football smarts and IQ are not the same thing and innacuracy is seldom fixed. I'm still hopeful, though.

If this is you being "hopeful" I'd hate to see you being pessimistic.

• Haha (+1) 1