Favorite Old School Wrestler

ChevyVanMiller

7188fb4d7d8926f85c2565fd44206a5b.jpg

Georg Karl Julius Hackenschmidt (1 August [O.S. 20 July] 1877 – 19 February 1968) was an early 20th-century Baltic German strongmanand professional wrestler who is recognized as professional wrestling's first world heavyweight champion.[2]

George Hackenschmidt
Georg Hackenschmidt ca. 1905.jpg
Hackenschmidt, circa. 1905
Birth name Georg Karl Julius Hackenschmidt
Born August 1, 1877
Dorpat, Governorate of Livonia, Russian Empire
Died February 19, 1968(aged 90)[1]
London, England,
United Kingdom[1]
Professional wrestling career
Billed height 175 cm (5 ft 9 in)
Billed weight 99 kg (218 lb)
Trained by Ferdinand Gruhn
Georg Lurich
Debut 1896
Retired 1911

Hackenschmidt launched his professional career in Reval in the Governorate of Estoniaand lived most of his life in London, England, where he gained the nickname of "The Russian Lion".[3] He is believed to be the creator of the professional wrestling version of the bear hug as well as the person who popularised the hack squat, a deadlift with arms behind the body.[4] He was known for his impressive strength, fitness and flexibility and, later in life, wrote many books on physical culture, training and philosophy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hackenschmidt

I hate when"favorite" threads turn into lists, so I'll refrain since I have about 8 names in my head and can't narrow it down.

Instead I'll change direction a bit and say that any time I think of "old school" wrestling, the first thing I think of is the Ricky The Dragon Steamboat vs Ric Flair trilogy. Some of the greatest performances ever and really changed wrestling for me from pure entertainment to really respecting the talent of it all. I was about 10 for the first one.

Those matches are also a big part of the reason I can't sit through the modern stuff. 

Edited by Acantha
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Surprised nobody mentioned Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka. 

I haven’t followed/watched wrestling since I was a child but he was one of my favorites when I was a kid. 

The coconut video from Piper’s Pit!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2018 at 1:50 PM, Koko78 said:

I'll always be a Hulk Hogan mark. Terry Bollea may be a gigantic piece of crap, but I can separate that loathsome troll from what Hulk Hogan the character stood for.

As for heels, there is none better than:

ted-dibiase.jpg

Nice try, but there is no better heel than The Man...

https://giphy.com/gifs/dusty-rhodes-Ro6bzW9q9Bttu

image.png.4f3d590b4bbb3baa2f0f67ad66c4745b.png

image.png

Edited by Mark Vader

I ordered this through Amazon and received it over the weekend.  I thumbed through it briefly and it has amazing illustrations.  It is a fun way to learn about the history of wrestling.  It has a really cool map laying out the various territories and who the top guys were in said territory.  If you like wrestling and want to re-live some of the historic moments then I highly recommend it.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/558378/the-comic-book-story-of-professional-wrestling-by-aubrey-sitterson-art-by-chris-moreno/9780399580499/

The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling by Aubrey Sitterson and Chris Moreno

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I met him last year, he stayed at my hotel while appearing at Comic Con in Niagara Falls, ON. We had a 15 minute conversation about his brother, his career and Vince McMahon. Really nice guy and he really enjoys interacting with fans and keeping the Macho Man's memory alive.

I'm always glad when I hear stories about these guys being genuinely nice people. Keeping any "stage persona" going for so long it has to be a relief to just be and everyday guy after awhile.  Great story... thanks for sharing. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:37 AM, Hirly5 said:

My favorite wrestler of all time was from Truth or Consequences, New Mexico ..... Cactus Jack

image.jpeg.122b97df090033dd732becc3bfaefb0b.jpeg

The pride of Cortland State!

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, row_33 said:

The coconut is still one of my top 10 amazing sports moments in 45 years of watching

My buddies and I still laugh at this like we're kids when we see this and we're all now in our mid to late 40s. I'd argue Piper and Flair played the heel card so well that they got over with fans better than many of the faces.  I remember in a PPV commercial that in the mid 80s when Piper was fighting Mr. T. He actually something to effect of "You see Mr. T, I DO play Sun City" a direct shot at the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.  Even as a young teen, I knew that was edgy even for that time.  

17 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Did flair have his own million dollar championship? I think not.

I think that was the Million Dollar Man who had that.  

All that being said, Piper would be my all time favorite, but Flair ain't far behind... 

23 hours ago, Bullpen said:

My buddies and I still laugh at this like we're kids when we see this and we're all now in our mid to late 40s. I'd argue Piper and Flair played the heel card so well that they got over with fans better than many of the faces.  I remember in a PPV commercial that in the mid 80s when Piper was fighting Mr. T. He actually something to effect of "You see Mr. T, I DO play Sun City" a direct shot at the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.  Even as a young teen, I knew that was edgy even for that time.  

in my early 50s and it's just as amazing as the day it happened

and the Macho Man arena entrance was one of the best, thanks for the reminder Bills_Fan!!

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...