UB-51 MIA OH-42 Bulls 8-1, AJ83 3TDs 238yds school record

PromoTheRobot

12 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Hodge is out for the first half next week because of that horrible call...he labeled ragland in the chest with his shoulder as you indicated.The zebras were terrible last night.

I think UB can survive a half with no Khalil Hodge against Kent State. Better them than Ohio the following week.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I really think he'll be available on Day 3, or the end of the Day 2 at the earliest. Certainly will be an interesting test case for analytics though. I know PFF for example loves him and has him as like the #2 or 3 WR in the class while it seems most other draft pundits have him outside the top 10 WRs.

Zero chance he lasts till day 3.

He is going round 3 at the latest. 6’2 210 with good speed and after the catch ability 

He would’ve been a second or 3rd round pick last year according to my friend who is a Giants scout.

He is like Corey Davis when he was at WMU. Unguardable in the MAC, man amongst boys. And he went top 10

AJ is going top 70

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

It is absolutely a penalty and was just missed by the officiating crew. The only way to legally throw a blindside block is to engage with your hands and continue the engagement with your hands. Even if you engage with the hands first, if your shoulder then comes through it is still a penalty. 

Article from NCAA rulebook that says your shoulder cannot make contact

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Zero chance he lasts till day 3.

He is going round 3 at the latest. 6’2 210 with good speed and after the catch ability 

He would’ve been a second or 3rd round pick last year according to my friend who is a Giants scout.

He is like Corey Davis when he was at WMU. Unguardable in the MAC, man amongst boys. And he went top 10

AJ is going top 70

I don't know, we'll see. I don't see the speed personally. Maybe he tests better than he looks, but when I watch him play, I see a 4.55-4.60 kind of guy. Catches with his body way too much for my liking too. Davis was a great prospect; I don't see it with Johnson.

Seems like people much smarter than I are all over the map on him though. I've seen people like PFF and DraftNik have him as a 1st rounder, while others like the ESPN duo, Draft Network, Charlie Campbell and Matt Miller do not. Miller and ESPN don't go very deep on their big boards this early in the year, but I know Campbell has Johnson ranked as the #23 WR in the class right now and none of the 5 contributors at the Draft Network have him in their top 10 WR rankings and I believe their consensus big board has him around 150th right now.

I'm not really sure what to make of a guy that has such a gigantic variance at the moment but I personally would tend to agree with those that are lower on him right now. The fact that he'll be (I think) 24 or 25 as a rookie doesn't help either given how raw he appears to be.

Edit: I'm not sure what his DOB is, but I remember him being old for the draft class

Edited by DCOrange

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't know, we'll see. I don't see the speed personally. Maybe he tests better than he looks, but when I watch him play, I see a 4.55-4.60 kind of guy. Catches with his body way too much for my liking too. Davis was a great prospect; I don't see it with Johnson.

Seems like people much smarter than I are all over the map on him though. I've seen people like PFF and DraftNik have him as a 1st rounder, while others like the ESPN duo, Draft Network, Charlie Campbell and Matt Miller do not. Miller and ESPN don't go very deep on their big boards this early in the year, but I know Campbell has Johnson ranked as the #23 WR in the class right now and none of the 5 contributors at the Draft Network have him in their top 10 WR rankings and I believe their consensus big board has him around 150th right now.

I'm not really sure what to make of a guy that has such a gigantic variance at the moment but I personally would tend to agree with those that are lower on him right now.

People are low because he plays at UB and been hurt all year 

I have been around the UB FOOTBALL program since it came back to D1 and fortunately also worked as an advance scout 

They have a lot of talent in that program and Johnson as been clocked in the 40 in the mid 4.47range before. He runs by defenders from the MAC, big 12 , big 10... he doesn’t out muscle guys always , he runs by them

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

People are low because he plays at UB and been hurt all year 

I have been around the UB FOOTBALL program since it came back to D1 and fortunately also worked as an advanced scout 

They have a lot of talent in that program and Johnson as been clocked in the 40 in the mid 4.47range before. He runs by defenders from the MAC, big 12 , big 10... he doesn’t out muscle guys, he runs by them

I really doubt UB is holding him back that much. If you're good enough, people will find you, and Johnson has received a lot of attention as is; it's not a case of people not paying attention to Buffalo. Perhaps people are skeptical that he would perform as well against the big dogs...I think that's a fair criticism, but it's true that it's unfair to him that he doesn't really get the chance to prove himself as much at Buffalo.

As far as the 40 time goes, we'll see. He wouldn't be the first person whose official time is significantly slower than what he was clocked at before; it happens pretty consistently. And a 4.55 is still enough to run past guys in college, even in the major conferences but even moreso in the MAC.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I really doubt UB is holding him back that much. If you're good enough, people will find you, and Johnson has received a lot of attention as is; it's not a case of people not paying attention to Buffalo. Perhaps people are skeptical that he would perform as well against the big dogs...I think that's a fair criticism, but it's true that it's unfair to him that he doesn't really get the chance to prove himself as much at Buffalo.

As far as the 40 time goes, we'll see. He wouldn't be the first person whose official time is significantly slower than what he was clocked at before; it happens pretty consistently. And a 4.55 is still enough to run past guys in college, even in the major conferences but even moreso in the MAC.

Fair enough. And I agree be would run past defenders in the MAC with 4.55 speed still

and I’m not saying UB is holding him back, I’m saying he has been hurt all year and plays in the MAC so his stock was slightly going down . He was a preseason all American so people were expecting bilentikoff 

But he still averages 18 yards a catch and will    Eclipse 1000 yards with a few good games. When that happens I expect a stock rise 

I’m of the belief that Johnson goes earlier than expected (assuming he tests well). There is a large variance in the way scouting services view him. Guys with the wide spread like that almost always go earlier than expected because it only takes one team. It is kind of the Patrick Mahomes / Josh Allen theory. You don’t need to be graded highly by everyone, just someone. 

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No question they have flaws. And as good as Tyree Jackson's stat line was he still makes some terrible throws. But I'm not going to let that spoil my enjoyment of the season. They could still win the MAC and get a decent bowl.

I'm not trying to spoil anyone's enjoyment of a victory. My point was simply that in two games where the defense knew what the offense was going to do (Army and Miami) they could not stop the opposition.  This game was certainly entertaining to watch but it is evident that one side of the ball is very deficient. 

Edited by JohnC

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I not trying to spoil anyone's enjoyment of a victory. My point was simply that in two games where the defense knew what the offense was going to do (Army and Miami) they could not stop the opposition.  This game was certainly entertaining to watch but it is evident that one side of the ball is very deficient. 

And I don't disagree.

Playoffs anyone?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m of the belief that Johnson goes earlier than expected (assuming he tests well). There is a large variance in the way scouting services view him. Guys with the wide spread like that almost always go earlier than expected because it only takes one team. It is kind of the Patrick Mahomes / Josh Allen theory. You don’t need to be graded highly by everyone, just someone. 

The Bills are one team that can't afford to make a mistake if they end up drafting a receiver with one of their top two picks. Of course there are no guarantees but this is a position that can be upgraded in free agency. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Bills are one team that can't afford to make a mistake if they end up drafting a receiver with one of their top two picks. Of course there are no guarantees but this is a position that can be upgraded in free agency. 

Well if it means anything reports are Beane was in attendance, along with scouts from the Steelers.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well if it means anything reports are Beane was in attendance, along with scouts from the Steelers.

I'm sure that if he was there he was not only scouting Johnson but other prospects. The issue isn't whether the players under examination are prospects so much as in what round will you draft the prospect. The only issue I have with Johnson who is very productive is his speed. Is he worth a second round pick if his time isn't in the fast range? If not, then I wouldn't consider him in the second but would do so in the third. There is no doubt that Johnson is going to receive a lot of attention by the scouts, and deservedly so.  

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure that if he was there he was not only scouting Johnson but other prospects. The issue isn't whether the players under examination are prospects so much as in what round will you draft the prospect. The only issue I have with Johnson who is very productive is his speed. Is he worth a second round pick if his time isn't in the fast range? If not, then I wouldn't consider him in the second but would do so in the third. There is no doubt that Johnson is going to receive a lot of attention by the scouts, and deservedly so.  

He may not have track speed 4.3-4.43 but he can definitely clock in the 4.48 range which would be great for his size

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He may not have track speed 4.3-4.43 but he can definitely clock in the 4.48 range which would be great for his size

I consider Johnson to be a superlative player. But if the Bills are going to use a first or a second draft pick on a receiver (not recommending) then they need to add a receiver who has an attribute (speed) that can enhance the offense. Zay Jones is starting to play well. He was a super productive college player who is starting to progress and play well. What he needs is a receiver with speed that can complement his more medium range game. I'm not criticizing Johnson but bringing up the issue of fit/need for this team. 

If the Bills made a trade down deal and acquired a lower second round pick for him I would be more than happy. But I don't think using a high second round pick on him would be the best approach to take. Again, I believe that he is going to be a good pro. 

On 10/31/2018 at 9:38 AM, JohnC said:

When you can't stop a team when you know what it is going to do then you are not a complete team. The Bulls knew what Army and Miami were going to do yet their defense continued to be gashed. Pin ball football is entertaining to watch but it doesn't represent high standard football. The record is great but the defense is to put it modestly very porous. 

On 10/31/2018 at 9:52 AM, zow2 said:

The D was disappointing but hey, it's the MAC on a Tuesday night and weird things happen.  I thought Ragland and Miami looked much better than their record.  Great to see AJ and the offense get it together.  UB has a bunch of weapons.  AJ had better be a priority for the Buffalo Bills or I will be pissed. 

What was  up with the refs?  They obviously wanted a ton of airtime and to be the center of attention.  They called 24 accepted penalties for 239 yds.  I mean Geez!  They helped and really hurt BOTH teams at various points in the game.  The one penalty I feel they should have called was the hit on Hodge.  They called the exact same penalty against the Bills Kelvin Benjamin on Monday night.  Isn't that just plain and simply a dangerous hit?  I thought those are now being flagged at all levels.  Whether there's no helmet contact it's still a dangerous hit on an unsuspecting player.  There are plenty of ways to block without doing that.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:13 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

No question they have flaws. And as good as Tyree Jackson's stat line was he still makes some terrible throws. But I'm not going to let that spoil my enjoyment of the season. They could still win the MAC and get a decent bowl.

I truly love this team you guys, but I honestly (and it kills me to say this) I don't see them getting by Ohio on the road.  10-2 with a bowl game is nothing to sneeze at and the best season ever for this team in 1-A...but man, 13-1 is really the goal right now.

I hope I am very wrong.

GO BULLS!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I truly love this team you guys, but I honestly (and it kills me to say this) I don't see them getting by Ohio on the road.  10-2 with a bowl game is nothing to sneeze at and the best season ever for this team in 1-A...but man, 13-1 is really the goal right now.

I hope I am very wrong.

GO BULLS!

Well, if UB runs the table except for one loss at Ohio, and still loses the MAC East,  then the Bobcats will have earned it.   

That means Ohio will have won at WMU, at Miami, vs. UB and vs. Akron.  Not an easy 4-game roll.

Back in August i predicted UB to finish 9-3 so they are playing above my expectations.  I figured they would lose to Temple and two MAC games.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I consider Johnson to be a superlative player. But if the Bills are going to use a first or a second draft pick on a receiver (not recommending) then they need to add a receiver who has an attribute (speed) that can enhance the offense. Zay Jones is starting to play well. He was a super productive college player who is starting to progress and play well. What he needs is a receiver with speed that can complement his more medium range game. I'm not criticizing Johnson but bringing up the issue of fit/need for this team. 

If the Bills made a trade down deal and acquired a lower second round pick for him I would be more than happy. But I don't think using a high second round pick on him would be the best approach to take. Again, I believe that he is going to be a good pro. 

The Bills definitely need speed on the outside but pure speed isn’t the only thing that gets you open deep

AJ is a great deep route runner. Very nuanced. No wasted movements and he is excellent at setting up Corners / safeties over the top and breaking to the post and vice versa 

his short game has really improved as well. He runs good bubble, jailbreak screen routes and works the out good

If there was one place to improve his game it would be in the mid game. Maybe it’s because UB doesn’t work Him their that much but he definitely isn’t as crisp in the mid game as he is in the short and deep 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.