The Bills did some odd tinkering with the D vs Colts

YoloinOhio

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/10/23/18012496/buffalo-bills-snap-counts-indianapolis-colts-derek-anderson-tredavious-white-zay-jones-matt-milano

Interestingly, the Bills’ inability to stop the Colts might have been the result of some tinkering this week. Only two players of the 100% club stayed on the field the entire time. Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer are usually joined by Tre’Davious WhiteMicah Hyde, and Phillip GainesMatt Milano looked to join the ranks recently. Milano came closest this week, missing only one snap. Curiously though; White, Micah Hyde and Gaines all saw reduced playing time. White and Gaines appear to have had playing time taken by [checks notes] Dontae Johnson.

The defensive line has typically aimed for a two-thirds to one-third split between starters and depth players. For some reason this week, none of the starters broke 55%. The shift to a roughly 50/50 split is a significant deviation from the usual defensive plan.

Similarly, Taron Johnson saw a small reduction in playing time compared to last week, while Rafael Bush’s time increased. This likely means the Bills attempted to play more “big nickel” defense this week.

big nickel has not worked well at times this season 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The defense has looked pretty good, especially for having as bad an offense as we’ve had. Really strange to see us handicapping our defense by limiting play time of our best players. 

McBeane definitely have a plan for this season, and I don’t like it

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seens like the game plan was bad and backfired. I’d be interested in hearing the reasons behind the tinkering though.

daboll’s knowledge and experience with the Pats should be helpful this week.

Hope this is sarcasm

When did the “tinkering” take place? I’d like to know when these players started seeing less snaps than usual. If it was when the game was out of hand, then it would make sense that certain, key players were taken off the field in favor of getting them some rest and other players some experience. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, K-9 said:

When did the “tinkering” take place? I’d like to know when these players started seeing less snaps than usual. If it was when the game was out of hand, then it would make sense that certain, key players were taken off the field in favor of getting them some rest and other players some experience. 

Good point, they don’t mention that 

If they tinkered and it backfired why weren't adjustments made on the fly in the 2nd Q? I know the offense put the D in a bad position on multiple occasions but the D looked really bad on  plays that led to scores. There were a few 3rd down conversions and plays that just killed the Bills and McD and co had no answers. Bad coaching to tinker with what worked and even worse coaching to not adjust out of it!

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He is going away from it, no? 

Isn't "big nickel" his scheme?  FWIW, the BN was a Fritz Shurmur invention.  He passed it to Jim Johnson who didn't use it as much, but McDermott used it a lot in Carolina.  

"This likely means the Bills attempted to play more “big nickel” defense this week."

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good point, they don’t mention that 

Well, that’s kind of critical to the point the article tries to make. Until I know when and in what situations White, Hyde, Gaines, etc. were taken out, it’s just more analysis in a vacuum. 

Edited by K-9

The changes could have been a result of them getting blown out and trying to adjust on the fly because what they were doing was not working. It isn't necessarily what the game plan was going in. Could have been, but might not have been.

32 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t see why people think this defense is good.. maybe I’m wrong but they either play well or give up 400+ yards and 30+ points regularly 

They were good because they were top 5 in the league in stopping offenses and generating turnovers. They also got consistent pressure on the QB. What do you not understand about that?

I'm assuming that they aren't top 5 now after a blowout loss.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t see why people think this defense is good.. maybe I’m wrong but they either play well or give up 400+ yards and 30+ points regularly 

The theme is, they get torched by excellent QBs, who take advantage of the  Bills aggressive gambling defense.  

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

A lot of Bills fans think going with the 1970s strategy of winning 10-7 by way of great D and running the ball 40 times is going to work in 2018.

They probably wear bell bottomed jeans with cuffs 2 feet in diameter as well