Trade deadline escapism

dayman

9 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

We will be sellers at the deadline if anything. The teams who are going to get those guys are looking to win now, we aren't. That would be like the Baltimore O's trying to get a big name guy at the deadline, it doesn't make sense.

The fantasy football effect to team building has clouded minds from seeing reality. The Bills will indeed be sellers, particularly as they continue their slide to the NFL's basement. 

Contenders and teams with a shot at the playoffs make moves. Anyone else wants a jump start on next season.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'd ship KB and a 4th to Cincy for Tyler Boyd and a 6th.

I'd offer a 6th to Denver for DT that could turn into a 5th based on performance.

I'd offer Shady to Minnesota for Mike Remmers and potentially supplement with a late round pick, if necessary.

I'd offer Shaq to Detroit for Ameer Abdullah.

Why would Cincy do that trade? They're in a division race.  Why trade picks for a future free agent? Why trade for Abdullah? We have ivory and murphy

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Why would Cincy do that trade? They're in a division race.  Why trade picks for a future free agent? Why trade for Abdullah? We have ivory and murphy

For Cincy it gives John Ross an opportunity for an expanded role as a worst case, and you're banking on a minimal drop off from Boyd to Benji while upgrading your draft stock.

The Abdullah/Shaq offer is just putting both players into situations where they have a chance at an expanded role.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

For Cincy it gives John Ross an opportunity for an expanded role as a worst case, and you're banking on a minimal drop off from Boyd to Benji while upgrading your draft stock.

The Abdullah/Shaq offer is just putting both players into situations where they have a chance at an expanded role.

Ross has 7 career catches in 2 years, and Boyds their 2nd leading receiver and even more important with Eifert out.  Boyd's also under contract in 2019for a cap hit at 1.3 million.  Benjamin would cost them more than boyd costs over 2 seasons, and is a worse player at this point.  So i have to use cap space in 2018 for benjamin, and then get nothing in 2019.  

This would barely make sense if benjamin was actually good - which he is not.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Ross has 7 career catches in 2 years, and Boyds their 2nd leading receiver and even more important with Eifert out.  Boyd's also under contract in 2019for a cap hit at 1.3 million.  Benjamin would cost them more than boyd costs over 2 seasons, and is a worse player at this point.  So i have to use cap space in 2018 for benjamin, and then get nothing in 2019.  

This would barely make sense if benjamin was actually good - which he is not.

It would essentially be paying cap to upgrade their draft pick, which is not nothing. I'm not sure if you're ignorant to the situation or just underselling Ross, but Ross has played 176 snaps over the past 2 years and has gotten targeted on 11.4% of those snaps. He's had 7 catches, 2 TDs, and 2 Runs on those snaps. Boyd played 685 snaps in that timeframe and was targeted on 13% of his snaps. He's had 62 catches, 6 TDs, and 1 run on those snaps. Ross could certainly step into a more expanded role. And, as you pointed out, Eifert is out. KB gives you that big target in the red zone that Eifert had in the past.

I don't think Benjamin is bad. I also don't think he's a #1. But in a role where he has AJ Green opposite him and John Ross coming out of the slot (plus a change of scenery) I think he would do quite well.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It would essentially be paying cap to upgrade their draft pick, which is not nothing. I'm not sure if you're ignorant to the situation or just underselling Ross, but Ross has played 176 snaps over the past 2 years and has gotten targeted on 11.4% of those snaps. He's had 7 catches, 2 TDs, and 2 Runs on those snaps. Boyd played 685 snaps in that timeframe and was targeted on 13% of his snaps. He's had 62 catches, 6 TDs, and 1 run on those snaps. Ross could certainly step into a more expanded role. And, as you pointed out, Eifert is out. KB gives you that big target in the red zone that Eifert had in the past.

I don't think Benjamin is bad. I also don't think he's a #1. But in a role where he has AJ Green opposite him and John Ross coming out of the slot (plus a change of scenery) I think he would do quite well.

I just think the price is higher than swapping a 4th and a 6th.  Especially if its going to cost a decent chunk of cap space (5 mil plus the dead money from boyd's deal).  

Plus why dump cheap players?  If Ross deserved to play he'd be on the field, and boyd would be cheap depth.

Edited by dneveu

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just think the price is higher than swapping a 4th and a 6th.  Especially if its going to cost a decent chunk of cap space (5 mil plus the dead money from boyd's deal).  

Plus why dump cheap players?  If Ross deserved to play he'd be on the field, and boyd would be cheap depth.

?‍♂️ It's an offer I'd throw out there. If Cincy wanted to counter, or laugh, then that's their prerogative. Maybe they want Shady with their RBs banged up. Maybe they want Clay or Croom with Eifert out. There are counter offers to be considered. Cincy has let go of good but not great WRs in the past, so I'm thinking they may again. Especially with another young guy in the fold. At the end of the day this is a topic with escapism in the title. Just let me escape for a little bit.

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

Just because the Bills overpaid for a crappy WR doesn't mean that other teams' coaches and FOs are so stupid as to chase after Carolina rejects.

"All the big boy clubs" have competent talent evaluation, which is why they're "big boy clubs".  The Bills haven't had that since John Butler and AJ Smith departed for the West Coast back in 2000, and McDermott and Beane are almost as bad talent evaluators, especially on offense, as Dick Jauron.

The statement about being bad talent evaluators is just ridiculous, first off Sean McDermott is a HC not a talent evaluator and Beane has only done this for not even a full year so there is absolutely no way at this point to say he is or isn't good at his job. Harrison Phillips, Trumaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins, Josh Allen look to be a solid foundation for the future and Zay Jones looks to finally be coming along slowly, the jury is put on OG Teller also so to say these guys can't identify talent on both sides of the ball doesn't really make much sense to me but again these are just my opinions and i get where you're coming from also.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The statement about being bad talent evaluators is just ridiculous, first off Sean McDermott is a HC not a talent evaluator and Beane has only done this for not even a full year so there is absolutely no way at this point to say he is or isn't good at his job. Harrison Phillips, Trumaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins, Josh Allen look to be a solid foundation for the future and Zay Jones looks to finally be coming along slowly, the jury is put on OG Teller also so to say these guys can't identify talent on both sides of the ball doesn't really make much sense to me but again these are just my opinions and i get where you're coming from also.

The lack of talent on Bills, particularly on offense, and the successes of the numerous ex-Bills that McDermott and Beane didn't think were good enough  says that I'm right and you're a blind homer, but keep "Billieving".

15 hours ago, dayman said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-trade-market-29-candidates-to-be-moved-before-deadline-now-that-amari-cooper-is-off-the-board/

^Link to various guys that are available^

Emmanuel Sanders is a very good player. Would lovely to get him somehow. No idea what he would cost. 

RGIII plays QB and shouldn't be terribly expensive. Would also be nice to make a run at Foles but Eagles probably still want a lot for him.

Cedric Ogbuehi plays tackle, I would like a tackle. Shouldn't be insane expensive. 

Patrick Peterson at CB also quite dreamy.

On our end, count me among those that say we should move Shady and Kelvin. Kelvin is worth whatever we can get, and Shady is a good player but the timing just isn't there w/ his age and our need to rebuild. I would also try to move Shaq as part of a package if possible. 

Would be lovely if we could somehow move Shady and 2nd for Foles or maybe Shady for RGIII straight up. I would take a 5 for Kelvin (assuming we could remotely get that) and give a very high pick for Peterson. 

Lots of nonsense. I'm sure nothing good will come of this but we have made moves (even if just a fire sale). This is the one area where you do miss Doug Whaley b/c he was good at scraping the bottom of the barrel for guys at the trade deadline. 

I wonder if the Pats go after Sanders? They didnsign him to that RFA contract that Pitt matched.  Hmm think Dorset or Paterson be cut if they did that.

Chris Hogan. The greatest corner back this team never had. @BringBackFergy agrees. 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

trade Benjamin and Clay.   if you trade KB, I want a 3rd.  If you throw in Clay, I'd take a 5th for both just to clear Clay's salary and free it up for FA next year.  

Or perhaps Arizona would take both for Peterson :)

Clay has a no trade clause. 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

trade Benjamin and Clay.   if you trade KB, I want a 3rd.  If you throw in Clay, I'd take a 5th for both just to clear Clay's salary and free it up for FA next year.  

Or perhaps Arizona would take both for Peterson :)

A third for KB.. that would be cool.. 

And to think the Dolphins could only get a 4th and 7th for Landry..

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why would they try to get a player though?

The season is over..

Well yes you and I and most others know to put a fork into this season but......well you know the process and crap.....maybe try to get at least someone who can run full routes (that was stab at fatty Benjamin) and catch the ball...