McDermott and Beane have done a Very Good job.

Kevin1778

Just now, Fadingpain said:

This thread, and Bills fans like Kevin1778, strongly suggest that Russ Brandon's reputation as a marketing genius is greatly overestimated.

Bills fans are some of the best fans in the world in any sport, and they will support this franchise to the very end.

They're clueless, mind you, but man are they loyal.

Very confident in second half of season. Have not ruled out playoffs yet. 6 home games left. This team is not that bad. They are just inconsistent. They have two wins. They have played two home games. This is where expected them to be.

1) we needed that!

2)Maybe, maybe not. So far it's looking like J.P.....talent, but no smarts

3)McD "restored" a very good D, Youngblood included which will last several years. Its trending up IMO

4)money talks. So do draft picks. I think this was a 5 year plan from the onset

...definite learning curve for both...certainly evident by questionable personnel moves......questionable coaching at critical positions.......lack of innovativeness and creativity for the same as well as trying some other personnel on the roster for starters.....and get rid of this effin'  McClappy "process" crap, a meaningless, worn out, overused, insignificant POS....reminds me of Pete Carroll and Butch Davis with their damn pom-poms......how 'bout playing some football versus choir practice?.....McDermott needs to wake up sooner or later......

In a nutshell they made the defense better and made the offense worse.  Their first year still had enough left over talent that with help they edged into the playoffs.  Clearing cap space does not equal replacing talent lost.  They might be breaking even on defense.   The reason that is better is better coaching.  They are significantly behind on offense but also struggle because Lynn/Roman were ten times the coaches on offense that anyone currently here are.

• Like (+1) 1

Every coach should be evaluated after 3 years. The playoffs in his first year as HC was a fluke. This draft and FA will either sink him or save him. If Allen develops into a top 12 QB and we have a good draft/FA he will be the Bills HC for long time. He needs to fire Castillo and make sure Daboll is the right OC for the type of offense that they want to run. The Bean needs to have his best draft and FA in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Every coach should be evaluated after 3 years. The playoffs in his first year as HC was a fluke. This draft and FA will either sink him or save him. If Allen develops into a top 12 QB and we have a good draft/FA he will be the Bills HC for long time. He needs to fire Castillo and make sure Daboll is the right OC for the type of offense that they want to run. The Bean needs to have his best draft and FA in 2019.

I'm not shocked that people want to write off breaking the drought the season after it happened. I guess the highlight of the playoffs is an Andy Dalton touchdown pass as if it was the sole reason instead of just one determining factor. 

It's ok to feel that way but it's also leaving out the other team victories like they never happened. To me it was a championship defense and a limp noodle offense all season. It wasn't a "fluke" to me. I guess it's because I saw an entire season and not living in the moment with Andy Dalton. Like the Bills beating teams that people didn't think they could beat. 

It wasn't any secret this team had no offense coming into the season and yet people are still surprised. Different options were available and McDermott decided to be skimpy and just ride out the season. People are reacting as if this wasn't a bite the bullet year and the offensive choices that were made we're suddenly going to turn the offense into a scoring machine. AJMcarron? It's obvious no splashes were made to solve the short term.

McDermott told people the plan and what to expect and the plan is on track despite people not liking the pain. 

It could be 10 years from now and McDermott could be gone and still be the only HC to take the Bills to the playoffs. 

I didn't get the Jim Kelly years. McDermott is my Jim Kelly as far as Bills being successful. 

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Cusefan66214 said:

Too many head scratching blowouts for me to consider them successful 

when you dont play offense at all thats going to happen

again what did we think this season was going to be?

its painful to watch and i still get pissed off BUT this is a throw away season

get Allen all the playing time we can and go to the draft/free agency

its the Rams 2016 season

and i agree they have done a great job so far- you cant fix everything in one off season

need a replacement for Zo

a nickle corner and CB depth

need OG (2) a back up tackle and wide receivers

Edited by CardinalScotts
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Perhaps he (Derek Anderson) wasn't interested. 

I think he was enjoying the time off with his family.  If you can sign a contract during the season and avoid all the crap that is training camp, it's an easy choice to make.  

3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The O line is easy to fix if you use some high picks, for a change, on stud linemen.  The Bills have been adverse to doing that for a long time.  And you have no way of knowing that McCarron was worse than Peterman.  Peterman is hard to top as a negative.

Post like these always amuse me. No, the offensive line is not an easy fix. And you're not going to do what in one draft. McBeane  has made many mistakes this year, and we're paying the price for it now. It doesn't mean their plan won't work eventually,  but right now it's tough to watch. Back to being ridiculed weekly is appalling. 

If playing Peterman is trusting the process then I"m out of the process. Ain't trusting that definition.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

At this point, I shutter at the thought of how McBeane wll squander $91 mill of cap space.

That's like 182 Peterman's! More process!

Too many embarrassing blowouts

We are very far away from a franchise QB at the moment

Failing to address the offense, unless you consider making it worse "addressing" it

Jettisoning most of the talented players from the team because they dont fit in "the process" (whatever that is) 

Fouling up the QB situation worse than most have ever seen a franchise do so, all while getting your 1st round pick injured behind a garbage OL

Nate Peterman

Yeah, they have done a STELLAR job 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1- Allen is way off from being considered anything positive. The guy hasn’t even been pedestrian let alone “a franchise qb”

2- A top 10 Defense does not get embarrassed once every 3 or 4 games like this one does. Top 10 talent, not top 10 actual play. You need to show up more often to warrant top 10 in my eyes. All kinds of potential but constant head scratching underachieving. Which IMO, is even worse then just being bad.

3. The playoffs last year were great. We needed it so bad. I will forever be great-full to Coach McDermott for finally getting us there. Still, that team had a lot of help from old regime guys. Shady, Tyrod, Wood, Incognito, Clay...Guys that we have either pushed out the door or are phasing out. It seems like these guys would rather lose with their own players, then win with someone else’s. I don’t like that. We are in a very tough spot talent wise now, but a ton of that in self inflicted. For seemingly no reason. The talent on this offense is inexcusable. There was no attempt to refill the well. We don’t have to be this bad to rebuild.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

These guys deserve a thread pointing out what a good job they have done. Other than not sticking with Peterman for at least 4 games (trusting the process) and giving Allen a few games to learn a thing or two, they have actually done a great job. They panicked and rushed him along. Mistake.

However, what they have done has been nothing short of a miracle. They made a decision to try to build a team that can win a championship, not just be a 9-7 team every year. This is what great leaders do. They have a plan and stick with it.

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

1) In their first year, they brought the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17years.

2) They got a franchise QB.

3) They built a top 10 defense.

4) They cleared out a ton of bad contracts and have $91 million in cap space for 2019.

Great leaders have a plan and they stick with it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....McDermott.....is that U?

They lost Incognito and Wood very late. The O Line is not easy to fix, and it has improved. They have the money to fix it in off season. McCarron was worse than Peterman. The Bills saved $5M. The mistake they made was not getting Anderson before camp. Perhaps he wasn't interested. 

Ummm ... January is "very late"???  Wood announced his retirement a few days after the playoff loss when his injury was discovered in an end-of-season physical.  Moreover, since Incognito was 35 years old, the Bills should have been preparing to replace him, not pretending he was going to play forever so that they didn't need to have as Plan B. 

The Bills knew they needed a better backup than Peterman (who shouldn't have been on the roster in the first place) after the first game of the season.   Why didn't they bring a veteran backup then?  Why does it seem like it was always either Anderson or nobody?  What the hell is so special about Anderson -- aside from his Carolina connection -- that the Bills wouldn't look at alternative QBs, some of whom are significantly better than Anderson.

Alright, thank you Kevin. Next is Tony

*Shopp voice

1 hour ago, CardinalScotts said:

when you dont play offense at all thats going to happen

again what did we think this season was going to be?

its painful to watch and i still get pissed off BUT this is a throw away season

get Allen all the playing time we can and go to the draft/free agency

its the Rams 2016 season

and i agree they have done a great job so far- you cant fix everything in one off season

need a replacement for Zo

a nickle corner and CB depth

need OG (2) a back up tackle and wide receivers

Why would you need a nickel corner with taron Johnson on the team

I agree with those who say it’s way too early to tell if this leadership team is good or bad. Things they’ve done that I think any winning coach/GM would do to turn the franchise around:

1. Get rid of overpaid players and those players they knew they wouldn’t be able to keep in free agency. This includes Darieus (overpaid), Watkins (overpaid and too expensive in FA), Woods (too expensive FA).

2. Have a plan and stick with it. This includes getting rid of players that don’t fit the scheme/culture you are trying to create. This includes Darby (scheme mis-match), Darieus (culture), Woods (scheme, the Bills seems to be looking for speed at WR). 

3. Don’t overpay for Free Agents when your are starting the rebuild. The Bills didn’t overpay for a FA QB or FA WRs even though some were out there to be had. Similarly for OLinemen. Signing Star and Trent Muphy were exceptions because they fit the scheme. 

4. Don’t sign aging veterans as part of the early rebuild process. Sure, once you are making a push for the ring, you can sign these types of “temporary” players but it makes no sense early in the “process” (sorry, couldn’t resist).

5. Build through the draft. By all accounts, McBean have picked up some gems in the draft including players like Milano, Phillips and Johnson. They’ve also used early picks for key positions including MLB, CB and QB. OT and edge rushers are the other keys that I think they’ll likely look to fill next year. I doubt they draft a WR in RD1 next year unless a no-brainer superstar falls into their lap. 

6. Draft a “franchise” QB. The jury is out as to whether Allen is going to be a star, serviceable starter or dud. The point is to draft a QB you believe can be a star. Allen’s physical talent, intelligence (high Wonderlic) and work ethic are what you look for. 

7. Fix the cap. The Bills were in terrible cap hell before McBean. They’ve made the hard choices, which likely cost the team wins over the last two years. Nonetheless, it was the right move. Time will tell of they choices they make with the new cap space are the right ones.

8. Stockpile draft picks. McBean has done this as well. This gives the team flexibility on draft night to move around and to find additional talent in middle or late rounds.This also allows them to take some risks in the draft knowing they have the capital to make safer choices as well.

I can’t really argue with the strategy but I’m sure some could/will argue with the specific choices. Specifically, I haven’t been thrilled with the pro-personnel choices they’ve make at times and I think they’ve showed a Carolina bias (Tolbert, Benjamin). Nonetheless, the framework looks right to me.

I’m giving them a couple more years to see if this plan works.

EdW

Edited by BisonMan
  • Like (+1) 1