McDermott and Beane have done a Very Good job.

Kevin1778

These guys deserve a thread pointing out what a good job they have done. Other than not sticking with Peterman for at least 4 games (trusting the process) and giving Allen a few games to learn a thing or two, they have actually done a great job. They panicked and rushed him along. Mistake.

However, what they have done has been nothing short of a miracle. They made a decision to try to build a team that can win a championship, not just be a 9-7 team every year. This is what great leaders do. They have a plan and stick with it.

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

1) In their first year, they brought the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17years.

2) They got a franchise QB.

3) They built a top 10 defense.

4) They cleared out a ton of bad contracts and have $91 million in cap space for 2019.

Great leaders have a plan and they stick with it.

Edited by Kevin1778
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1.  Yes, but with help.  But they could have screwed the pooch so I'll give you that one.

2.  I don't see a franchise QB yet.  They drafted an incredibly raw player who needs a considerable amount of refinement before we can be considered even a middling qb; and, they brought this raw QB onto a team with practically zero offensive talent so it's basically impossible to properly evaluate him.  

3.  I don't believe we are a top 10 defense.  Stats may say it, but it doesn't pass the sniff test.  Just about any time we've played a top qb, we've folded like a blanket.  We're probably in the 13-17 range and after yesterday, I'd say we are closer to 20.  The Colts lit us up like a house on fire.  Our ranking is most certainly the result of getting lucky bounces and turnovers.  The D can win us games, but ultimately not good enough to stop the better QBs in the league.

4.  Yes they have.  But do you trust their eye for talent?  I don't.  Not yet at least.  I certainly don't trust them to weight talent in par with "the process" when selecting players.

Edited by saundena
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

These guys deserve a thread pointing out what a good job they have done. Other than not sticking with Peterman for at least 4 games (trusting the process) and giving Allen a few games to learn a thing or two, they have actually done a great job. They panicked and rushed him along. Mistake.

However, what they have done has been nothing short of a miracle. They made a decision to try to build a team that can win a championship, not just be a 9-7 team every year. This is what great leaders do. They have a plan and stick with it.

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

1) In their first year, they brought the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17years.

4) They cleared out a ton of bad contracts and have $91 million in cap space for 2019.

You left out the other part:

1) Doing nothing about the very offensive line unless you considered Newhouse a steal.

2) Trading McCarron before determining if Peterman could function in regular season games and thus being forced to start Allen and having him get injured behind that very offensive line.

Should I continue?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You left out the other part:

1) Doing nothing about the very offensive line unless you considered Newhouse a steal.

2) Trading McCarron before determining if Peterman could function in regular season games and thus being forced to start Allen and having him get injured behind that very offensive line.

Should I continue?

They lost Incognito and Wood very late. The O Line is not easy to fix, and it has improved. They have the money to fix it in off season. McCarron was worse than Peterman. The Bills saved $5M. The mistake they made was not getting Anderson before camp. Perhaps he wasn't interested. 

For ending the drought and making the playoffs, I'm inclined to give them a mulligan for 2018.  I'll stick with their "process" through 2019.  But we had better see a helluva better offense and general plan for the future.  And an influx of talent this off-season.  

HOWEVER, there are 9 games left.  If this McBeane crew gets blown out a few more times I may just lose all patience with them.  

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

1) Sheer dumb luck, and Andy Dalton

2) Who? How do we have a franchise QB when we're averaging 120 passing yards per game?

3) Debatable. And so what? Defenses do NOT last. Offenses with good QBs tend to last a lot longer.

4) When you clear out talent, you clear out contracts. So you're congratulating idiots for clearing out talent. Sure. 

• Like (+1) 4

I agree with the path chosen by McDermott and Beane to shed overpriced contracts, eat all of the dead cap in one year and grow from there.  It's too early, even for me, to say they have done a great job.  I am optimistic, but can't declare this process a success until a consistently winning team takes the field each week.  That won't be this year, but should be to expectation of the 2020 Bills.

In response to your successes...

1) McDermott did a great job last year and the team outperformed their talent level.  In hindsite, this playoff birth probably hurt us as we needed multiple picks to draft Allen, instead of just one and applying the other picks to fill the other holes on the team.  I still enjoyed ending the drought, so I'm not complaining.

2) I like Allen, but other than a couple of great throws in the preseason and some athletic drive sustaining runs in the regular season, he hasn't shown to be ready today.   It is too soon to give him the Franchise QB designation.  I do believe he has the intelligence, work ethic and determination to improve.   I'm looking forward to next year's version of Josh Allen.

3) When the defense is good it is really good.  When it is gassed from being on the field too much, it isn't good at all.  If our offense can be average, our defense can be great.

4) I agree that the bad contracts are gone.  It may take more than one off-season to allocate that cap space to talented players who make our team better.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

They lost Incognito and Wood very late. The O Line is not easy to fix, and it has improved. They have the money to fix it in off season. McCarron was worse than Peterman. The Bills saved $5M. The mistake they made was not getting Anderson before camp. Perhaps he wasn't interested. 

The O line is easy to fix if you use some high picks, for a change, on stud linemen.  The Bills have been adverse to doing that for a long time.  And you have no way of knowing that McCarron was worse than Peterman.  Peterman is hard to top as a negative.

Last year I felt as though the present regime road the coat tales of the prior regimes talent, which they did.

I wanted to see how they would do this year because it is fully McBeane's team now.

I not impressed with Beane's handling of the draft and talent evaluation.

Trading Dareus in the middle of the season was disruptive.

Neglecting the O-line.

Neglecting the QB situation. Needed experienced depth, maybe keep Tyrod.

Wasting badly draft picks to move up and creating holes to do so.

FA Failures.

I would love to see Whaley's talent evaluation with McD coaching because that's what we saw last year.

1 hour ago, Kevin1778 said:

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

Surely you can't be serious!

1 hour ago, Kevin1778 said:

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

1 is true, 4 is currently true and the roster talent demonstrates how painful it was to get there.

2&3 are yet to be proven....

Eh.  They are B-C+ range.  All good things you pointed out.  However, for going on ad nauseum about "process" and "football guys", they lead a football team hasn't been competitive in over 50% of their games this year with wildly inconsistent effort, focus and plan.  

I am probably one of the most optomistic fans here....and even I say I need to see the final product before I say they have done a good job......

Its difficult to call it a good job when you are in the middle of a poo poo sandwhich dead cap year......somehow expecting a raw rookie QB to come in and help us have a winning record.......

I dont think the bills ultimately WANT a winning record this year....I think they actually understand the situation.....in order to get the name players in free agency we are going to have to overpay......the bills do not want to overpay...they want to biuld in the draft where they can get good players on cheap contracts....they need the good players to help out their young raw rookie QB

I need to see what moves are made NEXT year...which ultimately last year and this year acculumulates to...10 draft picks (so far) and 90 million cap space.....

I need to see the final of THAT product before I will call them good.....for now I will say they have a vision of what they are trying to do and are sticking to it......

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

Which Pegula are you?

2 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

4 HUGE SUCCESSES 

Their plan was "Peterman is good enough to start Week 1".

Any GM can dump a ton of contracts to make cap space.  It simply requires accepting a 3-5 win season.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

This thread, and Bills fans like Kevin1778, strongly suggest that Russ Brandon's reputation as a marketing genius is greatly overestimated.

Bills fans are some of the best fans in the world in any sport, and they will support this franchise to the very end.

They're clueless, mind you, but man are they loyal.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

This thread, and Bills fans like Kevin1778, strongly suggest that Russ Brandon's reputation as a marketing genius is greatly overestimated.

Bills fans are some of the best fans in the world in any sport, and they will support this franchise to the very end.

They're clueless, mind you, but man are they loyal.

I'm not seeing a lot of loyalty this season. It might just be the people who want everyone fired are the loudest. I don't think it's time for heads to roll yet.