Patrick Mahomes: He is having an incredible season

SDS

I am thoroughly enjoying watching Mahomes' season unfold.

He seems like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders, which is why I think he'll sustain this kind of success for years to come.

However .... his 2nd year as the starter will be very telling.  I do think that the amount of weapons he has at his disposal is a significant factor in this year's success.  I'm not sure what their WRs' contracts look like (whether this offense will be largely intact for a few years).  Plus a full season of "tape," for opposing defenses to dissect could make a difference.

But this team is a lot of fun to watch.  I love his interviews and his attitude.  He showed immediate class last year by refusing to be on billboards/become the face of the franchise while Alex Smith was still the QB.

I just really like the kid and I hope he continues to kick ass. 

The questions I think people have with Mahomes is how he'll deal with adversity. Problem is the Chiefs have done so consistently well that it feels like you can't get a read on that though that's definitely a problem that's nice to have.

Edited by Warcodered

35 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

All I know is that if Allen had half the production of Mahomes, we’d all be walking around with massive erections.

If our policy was what I wish it was (and many other posters too) he probably would be a Bill.

I.E. try to draft every QB that has a chance of being good and keep doing it all the time until one sticks.

If you are doing that every year, Mahomes is probably a Bill.

We might suck much of the time between QBs, but we do that anyway!

At least my approach yields a good QB now and again.

31 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I cant think of another QB in recent history who walked into a better situation than Mahomes.

The only one I can think of is Dan Marino in Miami, but that is ancient history.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

My thought on this is I am happy for Kansas City......they also have gone through years of futility.

The bills are following their own path

The Chiefs ( pre Mahomes) had followed a similar blueprint as the Bills at the QB position, not spending a high pick on QB for a long periodic time since the ‘83 draft. ( we all know the Bills used their 1st rounder in 2013 and 2018) . Somehow, since Kelly’s last season in ‘96 the Chiefs have managed to make the playoffs  8 times  and finished with a winning record 11 times. Not nearly the Bills level of futility. The Bills have been on a path of futility almost since their inception. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

45 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The Mahomes worship is a bit overboard, I think.  He's helped greatly by the plethora of weapons he has to take advantage of.

If Nathan Peterman had that same supporting cast...well, he's still suck.  But at least he'd be a little more fun to watch sucking.

I agree. I can't help but think if we did have Mahomes Bills fans could still run him out of Buffalo because he lost to NE---especially if it happened twice in 1 year.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Chiefs ( pre Mahomes) had followed a similar blueprint as the Bills at the QB position, not spending a high pick on QB for a long periodic time since the ‘83 draft. ( we all know the Bills used their 1st rounder in 2013 and 2017) . Somehow, since Kelly’s last season in ‘96 the Chiefs have managed to make the playoffs  8 times  and finished with a winning record 11 times. Not nearly the Bills level of futility. The Bills have been on a path of futility almost since their inception. 

The bills just used a 7th overall pick on a QB?

30 minutes ago, SDS said:

I literally just closed a topic for this reason. I make a NEW topic that says please use this one to discuss PATRICK MAHOMES. You list half a dozen grievances about the Buffalo Bills 40 minutes later.

Wouldn't that be reserved for the December 23rd celebration?

Edited by GG
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Watching him play really hurts,  the guy can move and has just as strong an arm as Allen and is accurate with throws.  This is all on our loser HC Sean who thought it was more important to draft a DB.  QB most important position in sports period.....

This a a passing league and the losers want to run the ball and winners are passing teams.  I am sorry but Allen looks like the guy in college that everyone warned not to draft,  he  runs because he can throw accurate enough.  That is a fact,  went small school and looks like a bust.  Then we watch Mahomes chewing up the NFL and looks like the next  great QB.  ,  Very sad what losers Sean and Beane have done with this roster traded Darby/Wakins and MD .  

How do you quote my original post, presumably reading:

"If you want to re-litigate the 2017 draft, then I'm sorry to say that happened 18 months ago and there is a 48 page topic that you can read that discusses it extensively."

and then follow up with this? 

38 minutes ago, GG said:

Wouldn't that be reserved for the December 23rd celebration?

This went over my head.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

All I know is that if Allen had half the production of Mahomes, we’d all be walking around with massive erections.

Should I not have an erection right now? It seems to want to do its own thing. 

Edited by teef

Part of this shows how game-changing it can be when you hit on a draft pick or 2.

In the draft where KC took Mahomes and the year prior they selected Hunt on day 2 and Hill on day 3.

In the draft where we took Allen and the year prior we selected McCloud and Proehl on day 3 and Zay Jones on day 2.

KC has elite talent across the board on offense. Top 3 WR, Top 3 TE, good O-Line, Top 5 RB and Sammy looks jacked out of his mind. The depth that KC has on offense is also amazing. It's would take us at least 4 years to acquire that kind of talent and that's if we got lucky. KC will be the next dynasty in the NFL.

I like Mahomes a lot. Liked him in college. Didn't know for sure obviously if he would turn into a franchise guy and he's changed a lot since college. I'm totally convinced however, if he started this season on the Bills with these coaches and this cast, he would be lousy. He would look lost.