McBeane Confidence

McBeane  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How much confidence do you have that McDermott will be a successful head coach for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

2. 2. How much confidence do you have that Beane will be a successful GM for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

1 minute ago, skibum said:

No. Instead of building on last year's momentum, they have continued to tear the team down to the point where they can't possibly fill all the voids. Draft picks are always a crap shoot, trades bring in flawed players, and quality free agents don't sign on with dead-end franchises. Where is the talent going to come from? Even if they draft very well, who is going to mentor the young players to become winners?

The only hope is if Josh Allen develops into the next Aaron Rodgers. Which is not looking likely. 

Draft picks ARE crap shoots....which is why it makes sense to have as may and as high of picks as possible

at this point and the fact they have looked so bad, no, I seem to be losing my confidence. the only thing that would gain it back is if they somehow managed to field a contender out of the gate in 2019?

yes, we all know this is supposed to be a rebuild and I'm aware of that but looking this bad in the second year and not looking like they will even contend enough to win maybe 3 or 4 games?

that's taking a pretty big step backwards with a very tough hill to climb when considering how much they would have to do in one off season and draft to try and turn this thing around.

meanwhile, we'll suffer through these losses and just do as we have done for the last 20 years or so. 

hope.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

No one but McBeane thought it was a good idea to initiate a pay cut for our all pro offensive left guard.

As for Wood, that happened at the very, very beginning of the off season.  These guys had more than enough time to figure that out.

P.S. A few names:

Robert Woods

Marquis Goodwin

Sammy Watkins

Ya but SOMETHING lead the FO to initiate that pay cut.....and then?  Well nuff said about RI.....a time bomb that was waiting....

I will give the Woods situation the benefit of the doubt......Glass Goodwin and Sammy I want The Ball Watkins on his second team no less I say good riddance - besides NEITHER of those three saw a snap last season.......so again I await with bated breath what this competent offense was..... @dbilz2500??????  Or anyone else for that matter?

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

McDermott came in here with an I'm smart, wholesome and a no nonsense coach attitude.

He flexed his I'm in charge here muscles by ridding the locker room of video games, pool table and players not up to his standard.

His borrowed pearl of wisdom "culture over strategy" was meant to impress and buy time, but he's looking like a sad sack worse than Rex as time goes by.

I never understood getting rid of those things . . . he did apparently allow a ping pong table.

I never understood getting rid of Kathryn Smith and, at the same time, keeping Danny freaking Crossman.

I never understood not keeping Aaron Kromer (especially given that he was under contract).

McCoach even went out of his way to fire the team chaplain.  I wonder what he was thinking to cause him to wake up and conclude that he had to fire the team chaplain.

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Ya but SOMETHING lead the FO to initiate that pay cut.....and then?  Well nuff said about RI.....a time bomb that was waiting....

I will give the Woods situation the benefit of the doubt......Glass Goodwin and Sammy I want The Ball Watkins on his second team no less I say good riddance - besides NEITHER of those three saw a snap last season.......so again I await with bated breath what this competent offense was..... @dbilz2500??????  Or anyone else for that matter?

We would be a better team with each one of those players that this brain trust did not want.

As for Richie, I believe he would be just fine within the structure of the team . . . as he was during the entire time that he was with the Bills.  Of course, you can disagree.  Nevertheless, there was NO reason to initiate a pay cut with one of our few all pros.

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Despite the overhaul of "superior" talent on this team, they ended the drought last year. We need to see what they do during the next off season, when the Bills will have a considerable amount of cap room and 10 draft picks. I think they can make the Bills a lot better.

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

No.  The acquisitions of Kelvin Benjamin and Lotulelei show you exactly what we're dealing with here.

These fools will overpay for Devin Funchess this offseason, deem the WR position "all set" and the Bills will roll into the 2019 season with Funchess and Zay as #1 & #2.  Watch.

What's scary is that this is a real possibility based on the track record of the culprits.

2 hours ago, jr1 said:

they'll have a lot of money and picks next year at least

So?   They had a lot of picks this year, too, and wasted a significant number on trading up to get 2 players.  With all the holes on this team, they can't afford to only end up with only 5-7 draftees because they became enamored of a couple of guys and trade up to get them.   My guess is that the Bills go from the highest dead cap $$$ in 2018 to the most actual cap space in 2019 -- and the product they put on the field will be just as fragrant as this year's carcass.

2 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

It is time for us to stop linking these guys together just because it is convenient. They have completely different roles where they have to interact, agree, and coexist.  Does anyone here think they spend more than one hour a day together?  

We have a good coach, not perfect, but pretty good.   Our baby GM is not looking good at all IMO but the jury is still out.  

McDermott has control of player personnel -- who comes/who stays/who goes.  Beane makes it happen by draft/trade/FA.  That's why they are linked together.

McDermott is a crappy coach.  He's decent the way a front wheel sedan with snow tires handles winter in the Southern Tier -- you think it's good because you've never driven hilly, snowy roads in a Subaru.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

No one but McBeane thought it was a good idea to initiate a pay cut for our all pro offensive left guard.

As for Wood, that happened at the very, very beginning of the off season.  These guys had more than enough time to figure that out.

P.S. A few names:

Robert Woods

Marquis Goodwin

Sammy Watkins

Cordy Glenn

You left out Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Preston Brown, Marcell Dareus, and supposed 2nd round bust Reggie Ragland.  Your group and mine are all starters on teams currently in the playoff hunt.  McDermott/Beane packed off 9 starting caliber players they inherited and replaced all but a couple of them with career backups and bottom feeder FAs who play exactly like the career backups and bottom feeders they are.  I suppose that was part of the great "design", too.

A team can't keep all its good young vets because of the salary cap but keeping some of them might have avoided the shitshow that is the 2018 Bills.

No. 

From a business perspective they are doing mostly the right things. 

From a player personnel perspective, they have made quite a few questionable decisions. 

I'm beginning to have deja vu of Chip Kelly, and how he cut/traded all the talent, then recruited former players, only to implode In his second year and be fired. 

Turning over the roster they way they have here can't be done in the NFL with any positive results.  This team has been set back at least two years with what has happened this off-season. 

Yes, I'll happily eat crow but not until the end of next season. Every head coach needs time to build their team. Understandably patience is low but he deserves the chance to find finish what he started. 

Any new coach will want three years to build. Can't keep calling for their heads as soon as the get someone you don't like or lose a couple of games.

Edited by downunderbill
Fixing phone autocorrect

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

You left out Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Preston Brown, Marcell Dareus, and supposed 2nd round bust Reggie Ragland.  Your group and mine are all starters on teams currently in the playoff hunt.  McDermott/Beane packed off 9 starting caliber players they inherited and replaced all but a couple of them with career backups and bottom feeder FAs who play exactly like the career backups and bottom feeders they are.  I suppose that was part of the great "design", too.

A team can't keep all its good young vets because of the salary cap but keeping some of them might have avoided the shitshow that is the 2018 Bills.

Thanks for reminding me.

I would have kept Darby and Dareus and would have considered Gilmore but for the fact that he decided that tackling was not part of the job.

The Bengals signed Brown for cheap as I recall.

As for Ragland, I still think that he has talent (unless his knee injury is worse than I thought).  The few times that I have seen him play for the Chiefs, he has played pretty well . . . notwithstanding what the Chiefs fan posted.

Being 100% honest. 

No way does McDermott outcoach his competition in the Playoffs. I think deep down he is ultra-conservative and will always default to defense, punting and field position. I'm not impressed with the holier than thou approach to everything he does. 

Beane, trying to find the resounding successes. He doesn't get Hyde or Poyer, he doesn't get Trey White. I know the least about him. Its been one draft and one FA period. He at least recognizes QB is important, and that in itself is rare for Buffalo GMs, who have gone out of their way to try and win by building everything else but QB since 2005.

Allen, I just don't think that pick made sense. I didn't watch Wyoming games. I listened to Greg Cossel talk about QB's, he was not convinced, other analysts weren't overly high on Allen either. Some thought with professional coaching he could work. Anytime the first thing mentioned is size, arm strength, but then followed by accuracy concerns, poor performances against talented teams, limited production, it just screams project. My gut says he doesn't work out. He can't read a defense. He doesn't see NFL open. But with these weapons, and 5 games, I agree you can't close the door. I really want him back in there as fast as possible so we can see more iterations of his work. I liked the runs in Minnesota because even if you are struggling passing the ball, the running can keep your team afloat. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mahomes ran right into a perfect situation because he had weapons in place ready to go. Allen will still need McB to pull a rabbit out of their hat and land some solid weapons in this draft. I think realistically most of the oline upgrades will come from FA.  Maybe someone will give us a 4th for Shady. If these 2 guys wanna stay employed as HC/GM they better start focusing on amazing Improvements on offense. I don't care if he is a defensive coach. He'll be right back as a DC if he doesn't. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Just now, Peter said:

Thanks for reminding me.

I would have kept Darby and Dareus and would have considered Gilmore but for the fact that he decided that tackling was not part of the job.

The Bengals signed Brown for cheap as I recall.

As for Ragland, I still think that he has talent (unless his knee injury is worse than I thought).  The few times that I have seen him play for the Chiefs, he has played pretty well . . . notwithstanding what the Chiefs fan posted.

He's a starting LB for the Chiefs.   Like so many other NFL fans, I've become a big Mahomes fan, so I frequently watch KC games, either live or on replay (one of the benies of retirement), and Ragland gets mentioned pretty often making tackles which suggests his knee injury is healed.

Not picking on anyone in particular but I see the "we will have picks and cap space" thing a lot.  My guess is that if you gave that homeless dude on the corner 1,000 dollars he'd spend it all on booze and be back on that corner in a few days.  In the same light I have to think we'll get the next Derick Dockery and Langston Walker and draft another RB in the first round who can't run behind a crappy line with a bad OC.  We'll blow through the money and trade away everyone we've drafted within 3 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, flmike said:

I lived through the Chicago Cubs rebuild. It isn't fun but man did that pan out. 2015-18 have been worth the horrors of 2012

Well, I'm not willing to wait 71 years for the Bills to make it back to the Super Bowl or 108 years for the Bills to actually win it.  Maybe the Pegulas are building a Super Bowl team for the grandkids they don't have yet.

Until they get an offensive coach I can get behind I'm going to have little faith in the process simply because I know that McDermott can't coach or evaluate that side of the ball.  He hired Dennison and it was a nightmare.  Then he brings in Daboll (with a career 17ppg average) and we are averaging something record setting like 12ppg.  It doesn't matter how many picks or how much money, until they get a decent coach on the offensive side of the ball it will be lose, rinse, repeat.  Hell if they hired Fitzpatrick straight off Tampa's roster to coach the offense I'd have more confidence at this point then I do with Daboll or McDermott.

17 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Not picking on anyone in particular but I see the "we will have picks and cap space" thing a lot.  My guess is that if you gave that homeless dude on the corner 1,000 dollars he'd spend it all on booze and be back on that corner in a few days.  In the same light I have to think we'll get the next Derick Dockery and Langston Walker and draft another RB in the first round who can't run behind a crappy line with a bad OC.  We'll blow through the money and trade away everyone we've drafted within 3 years.

Yeah, but that homeless dude is gonna have a great couple of days!

• Like (+1) 2