The True reason to fire McDermott

cgg716

Ground n pound is dead.

Defense wins Championships is dead.  Solid franchise qbs like Mahomes will run the future NFL.

If McProcess is too stubborn for this obvious shift in the league than it will be up to Terry & Kim to figure this out.

28 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The only reply that matters and shuts down this thread immediately:

Bill Belichick was/is hired as a defense first coach. The end.

The rare exception 

Who knows what McD's grand strategy really is, but again today we heard him talk about how - because it's Buffalo - we need to be "blue collar" and run the ball and blah blah blah.   

And then there's that Indy game thing from last year.  When he clearly didn't understand that a tie was just as bad of an outcome as a loss, and if that weren't bad enough, he doubled-down on it robotically repeating that "I'd rather have a tie than a loss ..." over and over again, as though that somehow was more important than the reality of it all.

I think this guy is someone who grew up in old-school football culture, he thinks he knows better than the punks like McVay and Shanahan (who deep down he probably thinks haven't paid enough dues to be an HC), and certainly better than any of us dummy fans spouting off all of our analytics, and game theory, and all that nerdy brainy stuff. 

I think he looked like a beacon of moral stability to the Pegulas, and benefitted from that timing.   But if you put him up against what most folks would think is the "prototype" innovative, modern, NFL-coach ... he's got to be about as opposite of that as one could be.   And I hope that doesn't ultimately ruin Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

it's pretty obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills that the upcoming offseason is when offense will be addressed.

Good thing the acquisitions they have made on offense so far: Jones, Benjamin, Tolbert, Matthews, Holmes, Ducasse, Bodine...etc. have been so effective. I definitely trust them to find the right guys to fix a historically bad offense. They clearly know how to identify good offensive players, just look at that list of good contributors above.?

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Whose been getting burned for a decade on D, while his HOF QB takes care of it. He has at least hired great playcallers, that run a modern offense. So people don’t care that the shine is off of his defense 

6 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I’m not a doom and gloom guy normally but he has got to go for a simple reason, what he is attempting to build is no longer effective in the NFL.

We can not be defense first, not with these rules, we cannot have play calling from the 1970s, unable to take advantage of the rules. And two coordinators now have done this.

People that defend him will point to the talent, 11 pts a game in a league where 35 is routine runs so much deeper than that. We saw Gailey score plenty of points with the same talent level. Innovate or die, McDermott can’t innovate and he could ruin Allen out of that stubbornness.

The Rams and Bears did it, firing two more accomplished coaches to catch up to the league, the Bills have to as well 

Hi Saviour Peterman!

Is this the 6th or 7th new screen name you've assumed?

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

As was Tom Landry.

If you are really good at one side of the football, how can you not be intimately familiar with the other side?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

Big time offenses will get you to the playoffs, but defense DOES win championships.  That is the reason why these high powered offenses don't make it to the Super Bowl.  You need a strong (elite) defense and an effective offense.

just like the Pats? an average qb, a bunch of no names on offense, and a stellar defense? 

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

Is this sarcasm? If so, should we stick with the wrong coach for 4 years even though he doesn't know how to run or build an offense?

how about an historically bad and embarrassing offense on the field?

Absolutely not but we are only 6 games into year #2. Why do you and so many others assume that because it hasn't been done yet it's because he doesn't know how?

I'm in no way saying he for sure can, I just can't believe how many people are already certain he can't. 

1 minute ago, Maybe Someday said:

Absolutely not but we are only 6 games into year #2. Why do you and so many others assume that because it hasn't been done yet it's because he doesn't know how?

I'm in no way saying he for sure can, I just can't believe how many people are already certain he can't. 

I'd be with you if they were just bad. They are historically and laughably embarrassingly bad. That's why for me anyway. He also makes a lot of dumb game-time decisions.

8 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I’m not a doom and gloom guy normally but he has got to go for a simple reason, what he is attempting to build is no longer effective in the NFL.

We can not be defense first, not with these rules, we cannot have play calling from the 1970s, unable to take advantage of the rules. And two coordinators now have done this.

People that defend him will point to the talent, 11 pts a game in a league where 35 is routine runs so much deeper than that. We saw Gailey score plenty of points with the same talent level. Innovate or die, McDermott can’t innovate and he could ruin Allen out of that stubbornness.

The Rams and Bears did it, firing two more accomplished coaches to catch up to the league, the Bills have to as well 

7 hours ago, Avisan said:

This is absolutely revisionist, FYI

Buffalo consensus and national musings were that we were good coaching and competent QB play away from being annual contenders for the playoffs, and we backed into the playoffs with a 9-7 record (not our first time) due to a miracle play by the Bengals.  The Bills' run defense tanked after the Dareus trade (and the Jags' was significantly bolstered, fancy that), and we went one-and-done in truly embarrassing fashion against the Jags.  Is it nice to have the monkey off our back?  Sure.  Is it a testament to the current HC and GM?  Hell nah.

Leadership has made several efforts to provide the team with offensive talent, the issue is that they absolutely stink at correctly valuing offensive talent.

You are correct.  You're post is absolutely revisionist.  Vegas odds makers had the bills win total pegged at 6.5. 

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Have some patience.

McDermott and Beane both will not outlast Allen.

When Allen is declared a bust, probably some time middle of next year, McBeane will be gone at season's end.

They will be fired; just not right now.

But every QB has been bad under Daboll, every single one and Allen looked better than all of them. Depending how we finish, I think you drop the guillotine on McD and Beane, Allen's future depends on it. Retain Leslie Frazier as DC along with our entire defensive staff, everyone else goes. Hire the brightest OC in the NFL, someone who worked with one of these young superstars since they were rookies, I'm talking Goff, Wentz, Watson, Mahomes etc, somebody that's done it before. Give him all power over offense and STs, he controls all personnel moves there and Frazier takes care of defense. Championship.

8 hours ago, PIZ said:

Big time offenses will get you to the playoffs, but defense DOES win championships.  That is the reason why these high powered offenses don't make it to the Super Bowl.  You need a strong (elite) defense and an effective offense.

Not lately...

Last 2 SB have been score a ton of points and hope for 1-2 plays from the defense... Recent rule changes only make it more offense centered

8 hours ago, PIZ said:

Not lately...

Last 2 SB have been score a ton of points and hope for 1-2 plays from the defense... Recent rule changes only make it more offense centered