The True reason to fire McDermott

cgg716

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Except he's totally wrong. Just because something's the best the bills have had in forever doesn't make it adequate. Tell me, what's Sam Watkins done since he left?

You can deal with extremes but theres no denying Sammy is a million times better than any WR now and I hated Sammy, the line was 10x better than it is now regardless of how we got there. Other guys like signing Tolbert and cutting J Williams, making to effort to address the O line and basically making our new qb play in the dark. Please give me one difinitive example of a good move mcderms made on offense.  Ill wait

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsMafia13 said:

You can deal with extremes but theres no denying Sammy is a million times better than any WR now and I hated Sammy, the line was 10x better than it is now regardless of how we got there. Other guys like signing Tolbert and cutting J Williams, making to effort to address the O line and basically making our new qb play in the dark. Please give me one difinitive example of a good move mcderms made on offense.  Ill wait

it's pretty obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills that the upcoming offseason is when offense will be addressed.

10 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

This really hurts to read.  Right in the fan bone

And we're going to spend the next fifteen or so years watching Mahomes and Watson tear up the league because we passed on them to draft White -- a CB who will likely go on to success and the playoffs with some other team like so many other good, great Bills DBs over the years, like Jabari Greer and Ronald Darby who both have SB rings from NO and Philly respectively.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

it's pretty obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills that the upcoming offseason is when offense will be addressed.

Hmm critical thinking, so you're saying you cant provide an example correct?  Your fight to the death, I can never be wrong attitude is getting in the way of reality.  While I do like some of the moves, the offense is in shambles and some moves cant be justified.  Never forget this moment when you pulled tried flashing that superiority complex and got shut down

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

"Time servers"?  Seriously, in the modern NFL a team can't afford to wait around for two or three seasons to decide they're "ready" to start building the offense.  The Bills had a chance to grab a seriously good QB in 2017, and they passed ... for a DB.  Compared to franchise QBs, great DBs are practically a dime a dozen.. 

The Bills then shed talent to gather draft picks in order to trade up to grab the fourth highest rated QB in the next draft who's clearly a project, and trade up again to get another first round project, this time a LB.   They could have filled numerous holes on both sides of the ball if they had used all the picks they had collected on more than 2 players.

Now, they are very likely to be picking in the top three in the 2019 draft, maybe even #1.  What if there are no great offensive prospects worth a top 3 pick?  What if the Bills get the #1 pick, there's a consensus #1 pick, and it's a QB?   That's the Bills dilemma because they passed on grabbing a good QB when they had the chance in 2017!

In the first round, where a team has the best chance to find success, you cannot make need or predetermined "plan" the primary reason for drafting a particular player.  If there's a talented QB available at your turn, you take him and don't trade back in order to draft a CB to replace the Pro Bowl CB that you let walk in free agency because you don't believe in paying DBs or WRs the market rate for players at their skill level.

I think you're confusing me with hardcore defenders of the regime. I have made plenty of criticisms of their decisions, but I also think that next year is the year they always had lined up as the one where they took a major step forward.  In any event, it'll all come down to Allen and the complementary pieces they assemble for him. I'm not worried about the D; it's always going to be at least decent with McDermott running the show.  It is way too early to pass judgment on Allen, of course. It's worth noting that Wyoming won 8 games with him in the two seasons he started there; they won 2 the year before he started and are on the road to 2 wins this year too. 

Edited by dave mcbride

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes, I thought that the winningest Buffalo Bills coach in nearly two decades deserved to stay beyond two years and did not deserve to be undermined.

Fun fact, the point differential and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.

Peter I like you as a poster here but I feel you are flat out wrong.....

Rex Ryan inherited what was one of the most talented roster's the bills have ever fielded (not as good as the Super Bowl years...but still)

And he took a defense that was poised to be top 5 and he DESTROYED it

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The instant grat crowd cannot handle this fact

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

LMAO at the posters who think this is exactly what McDermott wants.

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

This is exactly what I don’t understand.  Sure this staff put the bills in this situation, (hopefully temporarily) but in no way do i think this is the final vision. 

13 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Hmm critical thinking, so you're saying you cant provide an example correct?  Your fight to the death, I can never be wrong attitude is getting in the way of reality.  While I do like some of the moves, the offense is in shambles and some moves cant be justified.  Never forget this moment when you pulled tried flashing that superiority complex and got shut down

Who are you again and why do you think I care what you think?

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

LMAO at the posters who think this is exactly what McDermott wants.

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

How do you know that McDermott doesn't want the worst offense in the league?  Some people want their steak well-done.  People like Nickleback.  People are f@#$%ing morons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Avisan said:

This is absolutely revisionist, FYI

Buffalo consensus and national musings were that we were good coaching and competent QB play away from being annual contenders for the playoffs, and we backed into the playoffs with a 9-7 record (not our first time) due to a miracle play by the Bengals.  The Bills' run defense tanked after the Dareus trade (and the Jags' was significantly bolstered, fancy that), and we went one-and-done in truly embarrassing fashion against the Jags.  Is it nice to have the monkey off our back?  Sure.  Is it a testament to the current HC and GM?  Hell nah.

Leadership has made several efforts to provide the team with offensive talent, the issue is that they absolutely stink at correctly valuing offensive talent.

Just about any team that has good coaching and competent QB play is a contender for the playoffs, it's what all of the consistently good teams have.  I'm not touching the backed into the playoffs comment so lets forget the playoff part, just the fact that we ended up with 9 wins with that roster was impressive to me, especially when you consider that we did not get competent QB play in most games.  No one - not even most Bills fans - thought we'd do anything last year, even before we traded Dareus, Sammy or Darby.  The fact that we did IMO has more to do with the coaching and the atmosphere McD is trying to build than some are giving him credit for.  He got a lot out of that team down the stretch.  Competent QB play and we win that playoff game. 

As for your 2nd comment, how can you possibly come to that bolded conclusion already??  You're either really impatient or you just don't agree with the identity that they want to build this team into.   

I’m not trying to say that I agree 100% with everything that’s happened since McD and Beane took over and I’m not just blindly following the latest regime cuz they’re my Bills.  Some moves I’ve agreed with, others I haven’t but of those none have been so egregious IMO that he has to go.  What I don’t want to see is another coach come in and reshape the roster again to bring in his type of players.  I also think if we fire McD now, that it will be extremely difficult to replace him with any coach worth a damn.  Who would want to come to a team that hasn’t given either of the last 2 coaches more than 2 seasons? 

3 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Yes, because firing the HC every 2 years and starting over is clearly the best way to win.  :thumbsup:

Is this sarcasm? If so, should we stick with the wrong coach for 4 years even though he doesn't know how to run or build an offense?

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Which evidence would that be? How much time/effort has been put into the offense, while we're at it? How many picks vis-a-vis the defense? How about FA acquisitions?

how about an historically bad and embarrassing offense on the field?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I’m not a doom and gloom guy normally but he has got to go for a simple reason, what he is attempting to build is no longer effective in the NFL.

We can not be defense first, not with these rules, we cannot have play calling from the 1970s, unable to take advantage of the rules. And two coordinators now have done this.

People that defend him will point to the talent, 11 pts a game in a league where 35 is routine runs so much deeper than that. We saw Gailey score plenty of points with the same talent level. Innovate or die, McDermott can’t innovate and he could ruin Allen out of that stubbornness.

The Rams and Bears did it, firing two more accomplished coaches to catch up to the league, the Bills have to as well 

Gailey won 6 games 3 years in a row here and has never won anywhere he has been a head coach, not the best analogy

Edited by Tazor Face

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

You mean it's obvious because that was their "3 year plan" or because the offense after 2 years, sucks?

Also, given how they have whiffed on OC's X2, how do you think they will successfully address the offense next year (as opposed to "so far")?

4 hours ago, PIZ said:

Big time offenses will get you to the playoffs, but defense DOES win championships.  That is the reason why these high powered offenses don't make it to the Super Bowl.  You need a strong (elite) defense and an effective offense.

Did you watch the playoffs and super bowl, it was non stop offense. Defense's are at such a disadvantage, the offense is dictating everything right now. The young elite offensive players in the NFL are carrying their teams. The Only Elite talent we might have on this offense is Allen and I would have him copying Mahomes play style in every way possible. We easy have the worst WR's and TE's all could be released and upgraded through FA and the draft. Allen and Zay are the only one's that should be safe going into next year.

1 hour ago, teef said:

This is exactly what I don’t understand.  Sure this staff put the bills in this situation, (hopefully temporarily) but in no way do i think this is the final vision. 

I agree, this is not the final version but it is so frustrating to go thru.

19 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Well  YOU responded to my comment haha. Boy you really love picking fights with people even though you’re seldom right. You just yell louder than anyone else 

Riiiight.

OK, guy. You just sharpen the pitchforks. I'm sure the pegulas will listen.

:rolleyes:

I'm getting confused by these posts.. is Beane getting paid to do nothing while McDermott coaches AND builds the roster??

Because as far as I can tell.. McDermott has proved he can make water into wine, Beane has proven he can make that offensive water as rank as humanly possible.

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

Talent argument has no merit, look what Gailey did in not nearly as soft a league. No misdirection on offense or even that many bunch formations,  a good offensive coach, like Gailey, would do such things to minimize his talent defecit. 

All that matters in the modern nfl is offense, it will become even more prevalent in future years. The regime has shown no eye for even replacement level offensive talent or most importantly a coach who can design plays and schemes to work around those defecienes. Defense is irreverent now, we need to get ahead 

...didn't Schwartz arrive on the scene as DC with a certain scheme in mind, yet adjusted it to fit the personnel he had to work with?......how were Jimbo's results?......any fine whines about needing "my guys"??.........