The True reason to fire McDermott

cgg716

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Not lately...

Last 2 SB have been score a ton of points and hope for 1-2 plays from the defense... Recent rule changes only make it more offense centered

Don't mind me.  I'm trying to turn a leaf and not be so pessimistic about my Bills.

ABSURD!

The biggest problem this team has had for the best 2 decades is the constant changing! Every year we have a new system, 4-3, then 3-4. The new regime says the last regimes draft picks don't fit the system, get rid of them and bring in new picks-------------------2 years later new coach, new system---the last guys picks don't fit the new system . Every year the guys come back and instead of improving on what they learned last year---------they spend months learning ANOTHER new system,  whether it's offense or defense. Let's get some continuity! The individual units, be it Oline, DBs , LBs or QB/WRS or TEs or even RBs, they need to know each other and be able to anticipate how each will react to a given situation. This doesn't happen because someone, either a HC, a coordinator or QB is run out of town by the media {see Jerry Sullivan} or the fans. Yes, I believe the new regime has made some mistakes, especially leaving the team without an experienced QB to guide or back-up  our young guys. I wonder if they had made our all-pro guard Incognito a decent offer instead of a pay cut----would he have gone bonkers and left us with 40% of the Oline changing? It was probably obvious to almost everyone that Robert Wood and Chris Hogan were PLAYERS----wouldn't we love to have those two guys NOW!

They've made mistakes, but hopefully they've learned from them. Let's give them some time to develop that continuity that every good team must have.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

As was Tom Landry.

If you are really good at one side of the football, how can you not be intimately familiar with the other side?

And Knoll. Don Shula. And Parcells.

But to answer your question, you can’t. It’s totally illogical to think otherwise. All the great defensive minds have spent thousands of hours breaking down offensive schmes. All the great offensive minds have spen thousands of hours breaking down defensive schemes. They are more than intimately familiar with the philosophies of the other side of the ball.

8 minutes ago, PBLESS said:

ABSURD!

The biggest problem this team has had for the best 2 decades is the constant changing! Every year we have a new system, 4-3, then 3-4. The new regime says the last regimes draft picks don't fit the system, get rid of them and bring in new picks-------------------2 years later new coach, new system---the last guys picks don't fit the new system . Every year the guys come back and instead of improving on what they learned last year---------they spend months learning ANOTHER new system,  whether it's offense or defense. Let's get some continuity! The individual units, be it Oline, DBs , LBs or QB/WRS or TEs or even RBs, they need to know each other and be able to anticipate how each will react to a given situation. This doesn't happen because someone, either a HC, a coordinator or QB is run out of town by the media {see Jerry Sullivan} or the fans. Yes, I believe the new regime has made some mistakes, especially leaving the team without an experienced QB to guide or back-up  our young guys. I wonder if they had made our all-pro guard Incognito a decent offer instead of a pay cut----would he have gone bonkers and left us with 40% of the Oline changing? It was probably obvious to almost everyone that Robert Wood and Chris Hogan were PLAYERS----wouldn't we love to have those two guys NOW!

They've made mistakes, but hopefully they've learned from them. Let's give them some time to develop that continuity that every good team must have.

That's why you keep Frazier as DC along with our entire defensive staff, they keep their current contracts, playbook stays the same, no wasted money in contracts, no roster turnover. Edmunds and Tre White, two of our two biggest superstars on defense keep their coaches, play in the schemes they have been thriving in, we're still building a culture.

35 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

It is working well for the Rams. Worked damn well for the Eagles.  Chiefs too.  I guess we could emulate the Bengals. 

Huh?? Which one of those teams has had 2 consecutive head coaches last only 2 years apiece? That's just us and apparently a lot of our fan base wants to make it 3 in a row. 

gailey was a horrible head coach. he is a good playdesigner but should never have been allowed near a playing field

mcdermott looks like a great  defensive motivator every other week.then the team looks like they never practiced the rest of the time. schizo team

McDermott is not in charge of the offense or offensive play calling. If he is fired, it's because he couldn't find an offensive coordinator to run the offense effectively.

And no, it is not old fashioned to have a good defense. The Broncos just won the super bowl a couple years ago with a crap offense and a crippled Peyton Manning. The Seahawks went to two super bowls in a row with an elite defense. The Eagles had a good defense last year. The Saints sucked for years with one of the best QB's to ever play the game because they had a bad defense.

You want a good defense. You also want a good offense. If you are missing one of those, you probably won't compete.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Avisan said:

Firing the HC every 2 years is necessary when you keep hiring bloody awful head coaches

Marrone was the best we'd had in ages and left of his own volition because the organization is a dumpster fire

Same with Mularkey.  Although we may not know what happened in Tennessee, it was odd though that he was fired after taking the Titans to the playoffs.

15 hours ago, cgg716 said:

The True reason to fire McDermott

... is it's the end of the 2020 season and we still aren't any good and show no signs of getting there soon.

Short of losing the locker room completely, that's pretty much the only reason.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...didn't Schwartz arrive on the scene as DC with a certain scheme in mind, yet adjusted it to fit the personnel he had to work with?......how were Jimbo's results?......any fine whines about needing "my guys"??.........

Yeah, Schwartz cobbled together a defense all by himself. All he had to work with were Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Brandon Spikes, Nigel Bradham, Preston Brown, Leodis Mckelvin, Stephon Gilmore and a young and motivated Marcell Dareus. How did he do it with such scrapings, leavings and dross?

Yeah, Schwartz got them up to the #4 defense but they'd been the #10 the year before. That was a talented lineup.

That defensive roster and our current offensive roster should not be mentioned on the same internet, never mind in the same breath.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Not lately...

Last 2 SB have been score a ton of points and hope for 1-2 plays from the defense... Recent rule changes only make it more offense centered

Nope.

The last two SBs have been won by:

2017) Philly, the #4 defense

2016) The Pats, the #8 defense (and as might be predicted by their bend but don't break nature, the #1 defense against scoring)

And the three before that were won by:

2015) Denver, the #1 defense

2014) The Pats, the #13 defense (and the #8 defense against scoring)

2013) Seahawks, the #1 defense

And the offenses were #7, #4, #16, #11, and #18 in the same five SBs.

Defenses still win SBs.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Yes, because firing the HC every 2 years and starting over is clearly the best way to win.  :thumbsup:

Ya don't always have to "start over" ☺️ some teams.. and I know this is crazy.. hire coaches that are willing to build off the personnell they are given and not rebuild.

Sean McVay: "THIS TEAM SUCKS I HATE GOFF AND GURLEY.. 5 YEAR REBUILD!!!!" 

Or maybe he's just better than Fisher ?

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nope.

The last two SBs have been won by:

2017) Philly, the #4 defense

2016) The Pats, the #8 defense (and as might be predicted by their bend but don't break nature, the #1 defense against scoring)

And the three before that were won by:

2015) Denver, the #1 defense

2014) The Pats, the #13 defense (and the #8 defense against scoring)

2013) Seahawks, the #1 defense

You're very very wrong. And the offenses were #7, #4, #16, #11, and #18 in the same five SBs. Defenses still win SBs.

Very true. I'm hard pressed to go back and find a team that wasn't great defensively. People forget the Pack was loaded on D when they won.. I typically see SB winners with consistently great defense and usually good, but not always great offense (Broncos, Bucs, 2000 Ravens, first Big Ben version Steelers, 2007 Giants).

22 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Ya don't always have to "start over" ☺️ some teams.. and I know this is crazy.. hire coaches that are willing to build off the personnell they are given and not rebuild.

Sean McVay: "THIS TEAM SUCKS I HATE GOFF AND GURLEY.. 5 YEAR REBUILD!!!!" 

Or maybe he's just better than Fisher ?

The difference being that McVay is reloading, not rebuilding. He joined a team with a GM who's been in place, building a solid roster for years and picking the #1 overall QB the year before he got there.

The Bills did not have a roster that would have made a reload tenable. They weren't good. The Rams had build a strong defense that was very young, and had brought in Gurley and Goff before McVay arrived, and they were in good shape with the salary cap.

But yeah, you make a good point, McVay was a lot better than Fisher. And you're certainly right that you don't always have to start over. Do you really think the 2015 Bills had enough talent to reload around? I don't, especially when Whaley had built a very mediocre squad while treating his salary cap situation like a sailor in port treats his pocket money.

If you do think we could have reloaded, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, Schwartz cobbled together a defense all by himself. All he had to work with were Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Brandon Spikes, Nigel Bradham, Preston Brown, Leodis Mckelvin, Stephon Gilmore and a young and motivated Marcell Dareus. How did he do it with such scrapings, leavings and dross?

Yeah, Schwartz got them up to the #4 defense but they'd been the #10 the year before. That was a talented lineup.

That defensive roster and our current offensive roster should not be mentioned on the same internet, never mind in the same breath.

...point was he adjusted the scheme he had in mind to fit this group of players....there was no cobbling....he had a good core to work with and recognized it........maximization of your personnel....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...point was he adjusted the scheme he had in mind to fit this group of players....there was no cobbling....he had a good core to work with and recognized it........maximization of your personnel....

You maximize the personnel you have - you reload - when you have good personnel. Which Schwartz very much did, thanks mostly to Buddy Nix.

When you don't have good personnel, your best move is often to rebuild.

8 hours ago, Avisan said:

Do you understand how odds-making works?

The point is that nobody was calling buffalo a playoff team last year.  Espn 6 wins, prison 7 wins.  Vegas line 6.5.  Proceed with the playoff team spin.