The True reason to fire McDermott

cgg716

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't see it happening.  The best chance that McDermott has to keep his job is to see Allen improve in year 2, and I'll bet money that McDermott believes that the best chance that Allen has to do that is if he has an entire season in the same offense.

I would prefer the Goff and Trubisky route.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Isn't it possible that he talks about running and defense because, right now, that's this team's only path to victory?

I agree that his vision for the offense is unclear at best, and a total miss at worst, but--to me--that's symptomatic of an offensive unit with zero talent.  Now, that's ultimately of his own making, but we're all fooling ourselves if we think he isn't very likely to get a 3rd year to surround Allen with talent that will prove him to be a success or failure.

It is possible yes, but if that is the case, he wouldn't have said on day one he believes in run and stop the run. He's not a progressive coach. They made a bad hire...again

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Almost a year and a half on the job and no one knows what McDermott wants.

All he talks about is running the ball and playing defense, as if that's how you win in the NFL these days.

You win in the modern NFL by scoring points. Lots of points. 

All of the top teams right now have forward thinking progressive coaches who are trying to innovate. 

Who knows what we're trying to do, and that's a problem. We're scoring less than 12 points a game which is unheard of in the modern NFL.

When you don’t have a QB/system in place that is currently capable of scoring lots of points, the only way to win is by ugly rock fights - run the ball and play defense. 

Obviously, the hope is that Allen develops into the next Aaron Rodgers.

Some of you act as if McDermott prefers this. It’s a hand he’s been dealt and I think the league frowns upon forfeits so here we are. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I would prefer the Goff and Trubisky route.

As do I...hire a forward-thinking offensive play-caller (say, Matt LaFleur) and use your cap space and draft picks to stock the roster with offensive talent.

Just now, JM57 said:

It is possible yes, but if that is the case, he wouldn't have said on day one he believes in run and stop the run. He's not a progressive coach. They made a bad hire...again

I'm not so sure that's true.  I think he saw that his only chance at wins right out of the gate was to use that model, and that's what he's preaching in order to get buy-in from his players.

Now, if that's truly his ultimate blueprint for building a perennial super bowl contender, then yes, you're absolutely right.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

When you don’t have a QB/system in place that is currently capable of scoring lots of points, the only way to win is by ugly rock fights - run the ball and play defense. 

Some of you act as if McDermott prefers this. It’s a hand he’s been dealt and I think the league frowns upon forfeits so here we are. 

Don't underestimate the value of forfeiting.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

As do I...hire a forward-thinking offensive play-caller (say, Matt LaFleur) and use your cap space and draft picks to stock the roster with offensive talent.

I'm not so sure that's true.  I think he saw that his only chance at wins right out of the gate was to use that model, and that's what he's preaching in order to get buy-in from his players.

Now, if that's truly his ultimate blueprint for building a perennial super bowl contender, then yes, you're absolutely right.

That is what they need to do to give the fans hope. It’s not fair to ask us to watch terrible offense every year.

Just now, Avisan said:

Firing the HC every 2 years is necessary when you keep hiring bloody awful head coaches

Marrone was the best we'd had in ages and left of his own volition because the organization is a dumpster fire

McD was so awful that in his 1st year he got a team expected to win maybe 6 games into the playoffs for the 1st time in 17 years. 

Both of his drafts appear to have been solid, I want to see him get a chance to finish what he started.  Maybe it works, maybe not but I am 100% certain that bringing in a new HC next year is not likely to all of a sudden turn this offense into a juggernaut. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

But that wasn't the case! They still had players on offense that could put up points! The offense wasn't what got Rex fired, it was him being a clown show and having a terrible defense. The offense wasn't world beating or consistent but it COULD score and they CHOSE to rip it to the studs.

• Like (+1) 4

It would be wildly unpopular amongst the media and NFL fans everywhere to fire Sean and/or Brandon after 1 season, especially after the playoff birth last season (Even if it was pure luck).

Unfortunately, this thing has to and WILL play itself out.  We're just delaying the inevitable, in my opinion, but I'm kind of ok with it.  Let the next Kyle Shanahan or Sean Mcvay make a name for himself.  We'll be in a prime position to pounce.

The long game...

Edited by Chicken Boo

Just now, Maybe Someday said:

McD was so awful that in his 1st year he got a team expected to win maybe 6 games into the playoffs for the 1st time in 17 years. 

Both of his drafts appear to have been solid, I want to see him get a chance to finish what he started.  Maybe it works, maybe not but I am 100% certain that bringing in a new HC next year is not likely to all of a sudden turn this offense into a juggernaut. 

This is absolutely revisionist, FYI

Buffalo consensus and national musings were that we were good coaching and competent QB play away from being annual contenders for the playoffs, and we backed into the playoffs with a 9-7 record (not our first time) due to a miracle play by the Bengals.  The Bills' run defense tanked after the Dareus trade (and the Jags' was significantly bolstered, fancy that), and we went one-and-done in truly embarrassing fashion against the Jags.  Is it nice to have the monkey off our back?  Sure.  Is it a testament to the current HC and GM?  Hell nah.

Leadership has made several efforts to provide the team with offensive talent, the issue is that they absolutely stink at correctly valuing offensive talent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

But that wasn't the case! They still had players on offense that could put up points! The offense wasn't what got Rex fired, it was him being a clown show and having a terrible defense. The offense wasn't world beating or consistent but it COULD score and they CHOSE to rip it to the studs.

Yep, that's true.

I am guessing that McDermott wanted to establish his own culture (as he said) while still being competitive, and felt that old school run-and-play-good-D was his only path to do so.  Now, if that's his long-term model, then yeah, I'm out.

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

That's a big tub of poo.

This whole cluster was a McBean creation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The superbowl team last year showed that you can succeed by having a strong run game and a great defense as long as you have a decent QB when needed. 

That supetbowl winning defense gave up over 600 yds of offense and didnt force one punt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Matt LaFleur huh? The offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans? 

The same Tennessee Titans who have only scored more than 20 points 1 time this year? The same Tennessee Titans who we held to 12 points?

yeah, ok.

33 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Almost a year and a half on the job and no one knows what McDermott wants.

All he talks about is running the ball and playing defense, as if that's how you win in the NFL these days.

You win in the modern NFL by scoring points. Lots of points. 

All of the top teams right now have forward thinking progressive coaches who are trying to innovate. 

Who knows what we're trying to do, and that's a problem. We're scoring less than 12 points a game which is unheard of in the modern NFL.

So because he isn't scoring a lot of points he doesn't want to?  He has said numerous times that QB is the most important position on the field and that it is a pass first league.  At the end of the day, we do not have a QB.  There really isn't much he can do with what he has.  Now, you can see if was ill prepared for the season, that is fair. Although it misses the mark since it was clearly a rebuilding season, but it is still fair. 

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Matt LaFleur huh? The offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans? 

The same Tennessee Titans who have only scored more than 20 points 1 time this year? The same Tennessee Titans who we held to 12 points?

yeah, ok.

He's an example of a young, forward-thinking OC.  Did I say that's who they should hire? No...it was an example of the mold of coach they should be looking at IMO

Sometimes you need to look past the numbers in a single season. For example: would you hire an OC that had the 30th ranked offense in terms of points and 32nd ranked offense in terms of yards, purely based on reputation?  What if that same guy had previously coordinated an offense that finished top-5 in points scored, but had finished no better than 14th since?

That guy just so happened to be Mike McCarthy back in 2006, who went on to become a great HC in Green Bay.  He got that job because he was a forward-thinking OC and play-caller that could work with their young QB. 

Edited by thebandit27