The True reason to fire McDermott

cgg716

I’m not a doom and gloom guy normally but he has got to go for a simple reason, what he is attempting to build is no longer effective in the NFL.

We can not be defense first, not with these rules, we cannot have play calling from the 1970s, unable to take advantage of the rules. And two coordinators now have done this.

People that defend him will point to the talent, 11 pts a game in a league where 35 is routine runs so much deeper than that. We saw Gailey score plenty of points with the same talent level. Innovate or die, McDermott can’t innovate and he could ruin Allen out of that stubbornness.

The Rams and Bears did it, firing two more accomplished coaches to catch up to the league, the Bills have to as well 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Gailey's offense was lightyears better  than this team in every position besides running back. I don't think he's trying to build a defense first team, so much as he inherited a team that already had most of the defensive pieces in place, and doesn't really need to be rebuilt like the offense does. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

LMAO at the posters who think this is exactly what McDermott wants.

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

Almost a year and a half on the job and no one knows what McDermott wants.

All he talks about is running the ball and playing defense, as if that's how you win in the NFL these days.

You win in the modern NFL by scoring points. Lots of points. 

All of the top teams right now have forward thinking progressive coaches who are trying to innovate. 

Who knows what we're trying to do, and that's a problem. We're scoring less than 12 points a game which is unheard of in the modern NFL.

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Gailey's offense was lightyears better  than this team in every position besides running back. I don't think he's trying to build a defense first team, so much as he inherited a team that already had most of the defensive pieces in place, and doesn't really need to be rebuilt like the offense does. 

Is this a joke?????

Our TEs were what, Scott Chandler?  Starting WRs were Donald Jones and David Nelson.  Stevie meshed well with Fitz but washed out of the league shortly after he left.  Our offensive line consisted of stalwarts like Demetress Bell and Geoff Handgartner and whatever bums we skimmed off of a practice squad to play guard any given week.  Wood ended up being a solid center once he moved over but we had NO offensive talent.

Pretty much ever single skill player we had under Chan is no longer in this league.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nobody on Gaileys teams at the skill positions ever made an impact anywhere else. How much better were they really? Fine maybe he doesn’t want 11 pts a game, but he does want an old pro style offense, as evident by both of his OC hires, he’s way behind the times offensively, and the way the NFL is now you just can’t afford that

1 minute ago, Maybe Someday said:

Yes, because firing the HC every 2 years and starting over is clearly the best way to win.  :thumbsup:

Firing the HC every 2 years is necessary when you keep hiring bloody awful head coaches

Marrone was the best we'd had in ages and left of his own volition because the organization is a dumpster fire

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Almost a year and a half on the job and no one knows what McDermott wants.

All he talks about is running the ball and playing defense, as if that's how you win in the NFL these days.

You win in the modern NFL by scoring points. Lots of points. 

All of the top teams right now have forward thinking progressive coaches who are trying to innovate. 

Who knows what we're trying to do, and that's a problem. We're scoring less than 12 points a game which is unheard of in the modern NFL.

Isn't it possible that he talks about running and defense because, right now, that's this team's only path to victory?

I agree that his vision for the offense is unclear at best, and a total miss at worst, but--to me--that's symptomatic of an offensive unit with zero talent.  Now, that's ultimately of his own making, but we're all fooling ourselves if we think he isn't very likely to get a 3rd year to surround Allen with talent that will prove him to be a success or failure.

• Like (+1) 7

Big time offenses will get you to the playoffs, but defense DOES win championships.  That is the reason why these high powered offenses don't make it to the Super Bowl.  You need a strong (elite) defense and an effective offense.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

Yes, because firing the HC every 2 years and starting over is clearly the best way to win.  :thumbsup:

And if they happen to find a coach who ends a 17 year playoff drought his first year, he needs to be fired too because......'we backed in' or 'got lucky' or 'Peterman' or 'traded away all our talent' or 'Mahomes' or 'blahblahblah......'

• Like (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Then why did he get rid of so many of them?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Isn't it possible that he talks about running and defense because, right now, that's this team's only path to victory?

I agree that his vision for the offense is unclear at best, and a total miss at worst, but--to me--that's symptomatic of an offensive unit with zero talent.  Now, that's ultimately of his own making, but we're all fooling ourselves if we think he isn't very likely to get a 3rd year to surround Allen with talent that will prove him to be a success or failure.

The fact that the offense has no talent is largely his fault.

They didn't have to trade away Watkins, Taylor and Glenn and make no attempt to re sign either Woods or Goodwin.

McDermott hired an awful OC last year, and appears to have hired an awful OC this year. Does anyone really think he's going to change his approach and get the next hire right?

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, billspro said:

If he stays Daboll must go 

I don't see it happening.  The best chance that McDermott has to keep his job is to see Allen improve in year 2, and I'll bet money that McDermott believes that the best chance that Allen has to do that is if he has an entire season in the same offense.

• Like (+1) 2

Every coach with an injured rookie QB needs to be fired.  The Rams & Bears new coaches each had 2nd year QBs who struggled in their rookie years and were already through their growing pains & then added key players that made them better.    I'm waiting to see what next year looks like before I think about everyone's future in the Bills management.  

Marrone looked pretty bad yesterday, benching his QB for Cody Kessler & then getting all surly about it after the game. 

...and Chan Gailey was the coach who punted on the opponent's 34 yard line.  I don't ever want to hear about how Gailey was a good coach. 

One thing I don't understand...

How is it that the past Bills organization under Ralph Wilson is constantly assumed to be the same organization under the Pegulas? Saying that the Bills organization has been bad for 50 years makes no sense when today's Bills are a new organization, except for Jim Overdorf.

Someone explain this to me, please.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The fact that the offense has no talent is largely his fault.

They didn't have to trade away Watkins, Taylor and Glenn and make no attempt to re sign either Woods or Goodwin.

McDermott hired an awful OC last year, and appears to have hired an awful OC this year. Does anyone really think he's going to change his approach and get the next hire right?

That's, like, exactly what I said:

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said: