THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - So Funny I Could Cry

Shaw66

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with you.   A GM ordinarily has that power, but few GMs do it without consulting with the owners.  I think, as I think you do, that the Pegulas are too committed to McD to let Beane fire him any time soon.  

I agree.   It captures the reality of the current situation.  

I'm not disagreeing regarding the Pegula angle, but I think they are so tied at the hip that it would be incredibly unlikely for either to stick around without the other.

Let's just hope they know what they're doing and I'm completely off base in my analysis. 

Great piece by the way.

Edited by LSHMEAB

And once again the Rockpiles are better than the games, according to long standing tradition.

I smiled at the Edmunds Looney Tunes mental image.

If it is any comfort, think of me Shaw!

I separated myself from the team this season for reasons of principle about a number of things the teams does that I can't abide very easily.

And then they suck. Like really bad.

When does that ever happen? I expected  Super Bowl run to begin the minute I stopped watching.

It still hurts a little when they stink and lose so bad. But I am also enjoying it because I think the Bills coach on up are jerks and have it coming. So be a bit happy for me if it helps any.

What is no way amusing is that Josh Allen's injury is a  ulnar collateral ligament (Tommy Johns tore his) in his throwing hand elbow. It should get better but there is damage. 

Elbow or shoulder damage is not good for a QB.

5 starts is it?  Already he has a serious injury. I say it is because McDermott put the team on his back right out of the gate. 

He gave him no decent QB to train behind. He drafted Allen no help choosing instead to bolster his preference of defense. There was a crummy running game and not good receivers, and as you point out, a rotten passing scheme. And now Allen can't throw for who knows how many weeks.

I blame McDermott for that.

Anyway I hope Allen is Ok in the long run.

And as long as nobody gets hurt I plan to enjoy the tanking as much as I can. 

But if they win I will be happy for you.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

And once again the Rockpiles are better than the games, according to long standing tradition.

I smiled at the Edmunds Looney Tunes mental image.

If it is any comfort, think of me Shaw!

I separated myself from the team this season for reasons of principle about a number of things the teams does that I can't abide very easily.

And then they suck. Like really bad.

When does that ever happen? I expected  Super Bowl run to begin the minute I stopped watching.

It still hurts a little when they stink and lose so bad. But I am also enjoying it because I think the Bills coach on up are jerks and have it coming. So be a bit happy for me if it helps any.

What is no way amusing is that Josh Allen's injury is a  ulnar collateral ligament (Tommy Johns tore his) in his throwing hand elbow. It should get better but there is damage. 

Elbow or shoulder damage is not good for a QB.

5 starts is it?  Already he has a serious injury. I say it is because McDermott put the team on his back right out of the gate. 

He gave him no decent QB to train behind. He drafted Allen no help choosing instead to bolster his preference of defense. There was a crummy running game and not good receivers, and as you point out, a rotten passing scheme. And now Allen can't throw for who knows how many weeks.

I blame McDermott for that.

Anyway I hope Allen is Ok in the long run.

And as long as nobody gets hurt I plan to enjoy the tanking as much as I can. 

But if they win I will be happy for you.  :)

Saying the Rockpile Review is better than the games is faint praise, indeed!   Grilled cheese and kale is better than the games.  But thanks.  

I don't agree with much of the rest, although I, too, think they should have taken a quality offensive lineman instead of Phillips.  

I don't know the medicine, but as I understand it, Allen's injury is tissue damage that will heal.  I don't think he has damage.

But I'm not too critical of their player personnel moves.  They have a system and a plan, and they're following it.   As I've said, what DOES bother me, a lot, is how badly prepared this team has looked in multiple games.   I think it's the coaching that's deficient, not the player moves.  

"Grilled cheese and kale is better than the games."

That got a lol out of me.

A tid bit I learned today was that the Coaches and McCarron didn't get along because McCarron wanted to compete for the starting job, rather than mentor Allen.

So off he went.  

I am not positive about that but it was from somebody knowledgeable about football.

32 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

A tid bit I learned today was that the Coaches and McCarron didn't get along because McCarron wanted to compete for the starting job, rather than mentor Allen.

So off he went.  

I am not positive about that but it was from somebody knowledgeable about football.

In other words McCarron didn't come to Buffalo to be a backup to Peterman. I can't say as I blame him.

I'm not sure what kind of spin Beane may have put on the situation, but coaches coach, GM's send players packing.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

So off he went.  

That's an interesting and plausible theory.   McCarron isn't, by definition, a journeyman, because his NFL journey had been to only one city.  Sitting behind Dalton, McCarron still thought he was a starter, not journeyman-backup-occasional starter.  When Fitz arrived in Buffalo, he thought he was a starter.  By the time he got to Tampa Bay, he knew he was a journeyman.

So McCarron maybe wanted out, as you say.  Of course, any semi-conscious football fan knew the Bills were taking a QB in the 2018 draft, because they didn't sign a top free agent QB, a guy who had been a starter, like a Cousins or Bridgewater.  So I don't see why McCarron should have been surprised in Buffalo.   He should have known that if he was competed for and won the starting job, it would only be his job until the 2018 draftee was ready.   Heck, Brett freaking Favre should have known that at some point the Packers would move on from him to start Rodgers.  So McCarron certainly should have known.  

I didn't worry about it much a couple of months ago, but McBeane certainly did mismanage the QB situation.   In the QB free agency merry-go-round last spring they should have gotten a genuine journey, like McCown, who would have been willing to accept the backup role if that's what fell to him.  It was a mistake not to have a veteran presence in the QB room.  

• Like (+1) 1

They have butchered this whole backup/mentor qb situation 10 different ways. Thinking Peterman was some insurance policy was idiotic.  Thinking McCarron would be willing to be a mentor to JA was pure stupidity.  The probably never bothered asking AJ his feelings on the subject before signing him. So now you enter the preseason with no veteran mentor. No offensive line to protect Josh and zero receivers to bail him out.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ???

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They have butchered this whole backup/mentor qb situation 10 different ways. Thinking Peterman was some insurance policy was idiotic.  Thinking McCarron would be willing to be a mentor to JA was pure stupidity.  The probably never bothered asking AJ his feelings on the subject before signing him. So now you enter the preseason with no veteran mentor. No offensive line to protect Josh and zero receivers to bail him out.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ???

LA Bill, I think the mistake occurred when they let McCarron go after preseason. He’d be starting now.

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

LA Bill, I think the mistake occurred when they let McCarron go after preseason. He’d be starting now.

Meanie suggests that McCarron was unhappy and presumably let people know.  So that may be why he's gone.  The mistake, as someone said, was not getting someone who was willing to be the mentor.  So the mistake was in free agrency, not August.  

Whatever, they shouldn't have gone into the season with just Allen and Peterman.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2018 at 8:52 PM, BadLandsMeanie said:

So off he went.  

I have no specific scuttlebutt about it, but when McCarron was traded away, my first thought was he wasn't happy to be third QB behind Peterman and Allen.  I think that McCarron signed so late in the FA period because he was looking for a situation with a shaky QB situation where he had a real chance to be starter -- much like when Fitzpatrick signed with the Bills back in 2009 because he figured that Trent Edwards was the most likely starter to get benched.  IIRC, Taylor also signed with the Bills because the team offered his best chance to become a starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

We were visiting my wife's family last week. Late in the 2nd quarter my father-in-law disappeared. At halftime I realized he was outside stacking firewood. I decided to join him - seemed like a better use of time than watching the second half.

I'm officially in "Next Year" mode. I'll keep watching this year too, but I'm out of hope for the season.

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Meanie suggests that McCarron was unhappy and presumably let people know.  So that may be why he's gone.  The mistake, as someone said, was not getting someone who was willing to be the mentor.  So the mistake was in free agrency, not August.  

Whatever, they shouldn't have gone into the season with just Allen and Peterman.  

Shaw, with all due respect, you don’t know that to be true. That may be want OBD management said. You don’t think every non starter doesn’t actually want to be starter? Of course they do! And McCarron would be starting on Monday Night Football had they kept him. What’s he doing in Oakland? Nothing!

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw, with all due respect, you don’t know that to be true. That may be want OBD management said. You don’t think every non starter doesn’t actually want to be starter? Of course they do! And McCarron would be starting on Monday Night Football had they kept him. What’s he doing in Oakland? Nothing!

With all due respect, Deek, I think my post was completely clear that I don't know what's true.  I said "presumably" and "may be."  

But with hindsight, I think it's clear that the Bills would have been off today if they'd hired a guy who was willing to be a veteran mentor and had kept that guy.   Allen would have had help, and the Bills probably would have won the Houston game.