Bills are 2013 Houston Astros.

Two years into this supposed "rebuild", there are so many holes on this team that there will not be enough talent available in FA and the draft to fill all the holes even if the Bills could snap up every FA to hit the market and had all the picks in the first 3 rounds of the entire draft. 

They need virtually an entire offense.  Who is at least NFL caliber on the unit?  Allen, simply by virtue of the Bills investment in him.  Dawkins.  Jones.  Clay and McCoy if the Bills keep them.  Ivory.  Groy and -- I hate to say this -- Ducasse as strickly backups.  Maybe Miller is salvageable if he had better coaching, which is unlikely if McDermott remains HC.

The defense is better but it's living on borrowed time as it's old with 2 35-year-olds (Williams and Alexander) and a 30-year-old on the DL for starters.  The safeties are decent, and White is good at CB.  Edmunds and Howard are promising but they're rookies who can continue to develop -- or not.  Milano looks like the only other half way decent defensive player besides White to come out of the 2017 draft.

This roster doesn't resemble a "rebuild" so much as a dumpster fire.  McDermott is great at dismantling an NFL team but he's clueless about how to rebuild it.  He needs to go ... as does his henchman Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I agree with you that they are on offense. We have 10 draft picks and a ton of cap money next year. You can’t tell me that 2-3 solid O lineman and 2 playmakers at WR would make us a good offense. Zay can be a solid possession receiver with outside threats. That’s only adding 4-5 players. 

Easier said than done. Playmaking WRs in the draft ? That’s been a huge hit or miss around the league for awhile. As FA ? Good luck. The contracts being given out in FA to WRs are huge, and players have choices. They won’t want to come to Buffalo. It’s not so easy as going to the store and picking out stud players to stack your offense with. The FOs drafting ability is suspect to say the least. Then there’s the matter of if the OC is any good. I’d love to share your optimism, but it’s a pretty big ask of even a competent FO to pull off. 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The only way the analogy works at all is if you include NCAA players that haven't been drafted yet. Who knows who they are at this point? I rather doubt we will find enough help through free agency to effectively improve the dreadful offense. 

The Panthers are 4-2. The future is somewhat bright

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Two years into this supposed "rebuild", there are so many holes on this team that there will not be enough talent available in FA and the draft to fill all the holes even if the Bills could snap up every FA to hit the market and had all the picks in the first 3 rounds of the entire draft. 

They need virtually an entire offense.  Who is at least NFL caliber on the unit?  Allen, simply by virtue of the Bills investment in him.  Dawkins.  Jones.  Clay and McCoy if the Bills keep them.  Ivory.  Groy and -- I hate to say this -- Ducasse as strickly backups.  Maybe Miller is salvageable if he had better coaching, which is unlikely if McDermott remains HC.

The defense is better but it's living on borrowed time as it's old with 2 35-year-olds (Williams and Alexander) and a 30-year-old on the DL for starters.  The safeties are decent, and White is good at CB.  Edmunds and Howard are promising but they're rookies who can continue to develop -- or not.  Milano looks like the only other half way decent defensive player besides White to come out of the 2017 draft.

This roster doesn't resemble a "rebuild" so much as a dumpster fire.  McDermott is great at dismantling an NFL team but he's clueless about how to rebuild it.  He needs to go ... as does his henchman Beane.

Clay and McCoy as staples of the offense should be over. 

They're old. Clay is 29, McCoy is 30. 

Those two are slowing down and our offense should not be built around them. 

Both of them need to be replaced with better players. 

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

What young good Bills players/prospects do the Bills have?

With the exception of White and maybe Edmunds.

I like Allen and I HOPE he will be great one day, but I remain skeptical.

White. Edmunds. Phillips. Johnson. Milano. Dawkins. Allen. 

Allen is still a great young prospect. Note the word prospect. It’s too early to say which way it will go. That’s kind of the point of the OP. 

The four our most important pieces to building a team are LT, Pass Rusher, CB, and QB. We have young prospects who have shown some promise in 3 out of 4. 

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Clay and McCoy as staples of the offense should be over. 

They're old. Clay is 29, McCoy is 30. 

Those two are slowing down and our offense should not be built around them. 

Both of them need to be replaced with better players. 

I didn't say build around them.   I was simply counting the NFL caliber talent on offense currently with the Bills.  Personnally, I hope that McCoy ends up back in Philly, and I bet that Clay finds a good landing spot as well.  Both deserve better than this crap that McDermott and Beane have put on the field.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I didn't say build around them.   I was simply counting the NFL caliber talent on offense currently with the Bills.  Personnally, I hope that McCoy ends up back in Philly, and I bet that Clay finds a good landing spot as well.  Both deserve better than this crap that McDermott and Beane have put on the field.

No problem. 

Besides, they are hold overs from Whaley. 

Whaley gets the credit for them. 

This regime has done nothing to show they can find and sign top flight offensive talent. 

56 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I believe that they have decided to follow the Astros model of rebuilding, which is a total tear down from top to bottom. They are getting the pieces in place while suffering big losses to build a consistent winner for the future. Consistently putting a band aid on the problems by handing out bad contracts to remain 8-8 or 7-9 isn’t going to build a winner. Building through the draft and when you’re ready to win, adding the needed veterans is the proper way to rebuild. The Astros had Altuve, Springer and drafted Correa and Bregman. When they were ready, they got Verlander. They lost over 100 games for several years in a row but set themselves up for long term success. I believe that’s the model they are following. We have excellent pieces on defense and hopefully our QB. 

As a fan of both teams, I agree. I used to go to games, and Altuve would hit a lead of single. Steal second, steal 3rd, and every single time get stranded. I was hopeful that it would work, but doubted. I think if The Bills had kept Tyrod Taylor, we'd probably have another shot this year at sneaking into the playoffs. But we're not getting any further than that. We're taking the short term loss for the long term gain. 

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I believe that they have decided to follow the Astros model of rebuilding, which is a total tear down from top to bottom. They are getting the pieces in place while suffering big losses to build a consistent winner for the future. Consistently putting a band aid on the problems by handing out bad contracts to remain 8-8 or 7-9 isn’t going to build a winner. Building through the draft and when you’re ready to win, adding the needed veterans is the proper way to rebuild. The Astros had Altuve, Springer and drafted Correa and Bregman. When they were ready, they got Verlander. They lost over 100 games for several years in a row but set themselves up for long term success. I believe that’s the model they are following. We have excellent pieces on defense and hopefully our QB. 

I've thought this was the plan all along when they started trading Watkins/Dareus/Ragland and Darby last season. Those who say they don't believe this regime can draft the correct players I'd say Tre'Davious White looks pretty darn good, Milano, Dawkins as well and Allen/ Edmunds show promise so far. It's just hard watching another season of the same we've been watching for so many years but I'm excited for 2019 with all that cap space plus the draft picks. I like how we've drafted so far and we already have some decent free agents on the roster. The OL/WR and secondary will mostly look completely different next year which is a great thing imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

This office has shown zero ability to choose decent offensive talent, much less good offensive talent. They passed on a QB who is next level good for a guy who struggles to simply throw the ball.  

This is not so much the Astro's as the 78 Buccaneers 

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Somebody wake me up when the Bills have the  home grown talent-wise equivalent of Springer, Altuve, Correa, Kuechel & Bregman....and they then have a GM shrewd enough to acquire talent like Verlander, Cole & Morton.

I read Connor McGregor just donated WS tickets to each of those dudes..

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I read Connor McGregor just donated WS tickets to each of those dudes..

I get it...because after winning the World Series last season they lost in the ALCS this year.....I see what you did there...clever

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

White. Edmunds. Phillips. Johnson. Milano. Dawkins. Allen. 

Allen is still a great young prospect. Note the word prospect. It’s too early to say which way it will go. That’s kind of the point of the OP. 

The four our most important pieces to building a team are LT, Pass Rusher, CB, and QB. We have young prospects who have shown some promise in 3 out of 4. 

I personally wouldn’t say Phillips, Johnson, Milano and Dawkins are “high end” talent.

They are mostly mid round picks. They are playing well for the most part I will give them that. But they aren’t high first round talent/potential like the Astros had, as that was the comparison in this thread.

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I personally wouldn’t say Phillips, Johnson, Milano and Dawkins are “high end” talent.

They are mostly mid round picks. They are playing well for the most part I will give them that. But they aren’t high first round talent/potential like the Astros had, as that was the comparison in this thread.

Round of selection means nothing, what they show on the field means everything. So far they have shown to be decent players with bright futures. They could become the core of this team going forward, they could not. 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Round of selection means nothing, what they show on the field means everything. So far they have shown to be decent players with bright futures. They could become the core of this team going forward, they could not. 

In this comparison it does mean something though.

The Astros had elite level young talent. They were Can’t miss players that were drafted top 3 in consecutive drafts.

A mid 3rd round pick that looks “descent “ does not compare to the elite young talent the astros had.

Most teams have 2nd and 3rd round picks that are descent players who could have promising futures.