Mind Numbing Stat- Point Differential- this hurts

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Because Allen gives this team the best chance to win due to this pure talent and potential alone. The more he plays, the better he’ll get. 

Team finishes with 6-7 wins unless Allen is placed on IR.

Love your optimism but I can't see us going 5-4 or 4-5 over the last 9 games. I truly hope to see it as it means Allen is most likely taking strong steps forward going into next season though.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

If the OP (or you) doesn't want to know about the history of the Bills, he shouldn't ask a question that involves knowing something about the history of the Bills.

trust me, I know the history all too well. other then maybe 7 or 8 seasons out of 45 years following them, it's a history I would rather forget about.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Bills need better players....

• QB (TBD on Allen, need solid plan/backup)
  • LT (Dawkins can stay)
  • LG
  • C
  • RG
  • RT
  • TE
  • WR1
  • WR2 (Zay can stay)
  • WR3
  • RB (all 3 can stay)
  • DEs (Hughes, Murphy, Shaq, Yarbrough can stay)
  • DTs (Replacement for Kyle after this year, I guess Star can stay, Phillips & Phillips can stay)
  • SLB (Replacement for Lorax after this year)
  • MLB (Edmunds can stay)
  • WLB (Milano can stay)
  • LCB (White can stay)
  • RCB
  • SS (Hyde can stay)
  • FS (Poyer can stay)
  • ST (All kickers/snappers can stay)

11 bold positions above that all need a fixin'

Well organized!

The irony of this year being that we're likely to end up with the first overall or second overall pick at this rate, and in a year when we need nothing but offense, the only generational talent worth a top pick would be Oliver/Bosa. That being said, I'd be fine with either in the first as long as we address issues in FA, and use our other picks on OL/WR.

I also like the idea of trading down for more picks, but if we land #1 or #2 overall, it'll be tough to pass on Oliver/Bosa, and it's usually best to go BPA regardless of position need outside of QB with a top 3 even top 5 pick. I'd be okay trading back if neither Oliver or Bosa are available for us wherever we end up.

To be honest though, the biggest moves that need to be made are on the offensive line. They are the least sexy moves a team can make to get better, but if you want a better offense, start with your line. While skill position players score, it's because of the OL that they even look remotely good. Most elite RBs are made so by their offensive lines, creating holes, getting to the linebackers for blocks, etc. They make receivers look good by allowing solid pass protect for them to have time to run their routes. And I don't even need to tell you the ways they can make even the most mediocre QB look franchise worthy. Building a stout line will allow for greater perspective and results from every other position. Do we need a top WR? And a RB for the future after Shady? Absolutely, but without a line anchoring everything, the picks will lose value, fast.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Because Allen gives this team the best chance to win due to this pure talent and potential alone. The more he plays, the better he’ll get. 

Agree to disagree - how you think this team can win four more games against the remaining schedule if that's how we play against a 1-5 Colts team is escaping me. I just think a bit of perspective is warranted, given the fact that you're expecting Allen to come back off his UCL and be better, or at least show improvement immediately. While I hope you're right in this regard, it's highly unlikely, but more unlikely that regardless of how much he does improve, our offense won't improve enough to what is needed to finish the season with 7 wins.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Except Allen has mostly been bad himself. I don’t see why anyone would think he’s going to suddenly make everyone else around him better and carry the offense. He’s the best QB we have, let me make that clear, but that isn’t saying much st the moment. And I’m sure he’ll improve with experience. How much he will improve is where I have my doubts. I’m sure EJ improved over time and we all saw where that got him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why are we as Bills fans obsessed with what guys get paid? 

Who ***** cares, especially with a QB like Cousins who's still a top 15 or 10 QB in this league. I'd take him in a heartbeat for that salary he is at currently. 

It matters for when you are trying to retain roster talent within the cap - you can handicap an entire team by overpaying one player exorbitantly. And while Cousins would be an upgrade over our current roster, without a doubt, thinking beyond this season for the rebuild and the future we all want, I'm more hopeful for a rookie QB than a more known quantity/ceiling with Cousins. 

Cousins likely wouldn't do much with this current roster of talent either.

29 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Agree to disagree - how you think this team can win four more games against the remaining schedule if that's how we play against a 1-5 Colts team is escaping me. I just think a bit of perspective is warranted

As long as Derek Anderson isn’t starting the next nine games, that’s what I think.

We aren’t going to see another game where the O turns it over 5 times and the defense has 0 combined takeaways and sacks. Except maybe vs. Pats - but those two games are guaranteed losses anyway.

22 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Except Allen has mostly been bad himself. I don’t see why anyone would think he’s going to suddenly make everyone else around him better and carry the offense. He’s the best QB we have, let me make that clear, but that isn’t saying much st the moment. And I’m sure he’ll improve with experience. How much he will improve is where I have my doubts. I’m sure EJ improved over time and we all saw where that got him.

Yes, Allen has been mostly bad - as he should be as a raw rookie in this offense. But he’s significantly better than what we saw yesterday. As the game slows down for him and he gets the ball out quicker - watch out.

EJ didn’t improve over time. That was his problem. In fact, he somehow got worse through the 2014 offseason after a hopeful rookie season.

Which means improvement is not a guarantee. But I think it happens. Faith without evidence, I guess.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

43 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Love your optimism but I can't see us going 5-4 or 4-5 over the last 9 games. I truly hope to see it as it means Allen is most likely taking strong steps forward going into next season though.

We still have both jets and dolphins games - not great teams and AFC East rivals are always tough to beat twice - so there's two likely wins.  Maybe toss one more in there in case jax or chi or NE have a bad day else maybe it comes from sweeping jets or Mia.  I predict 5 wins for the season.  4 would fine too though.  

Point differential. . .a loss is a loss.  Yea, I know but take it as an excuse to party more or whatnot.  

I just hope JA returns so that we can at least have that to focus on.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I got news for you, you have to pay franchise QBs. 

And I'm saying Cousins isn't worth that money - I get that you pay franchise QBs that much, but I'm just of the opinion that while he may be in the top 10/15 QBs in the league right now, imo he isn't worth that much money. 

33 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Going into December and looking at the #1 pick in the draft, the Bills will win 3 worthless games punting us to #7 in the queue.

That probably means Allen would be looking good at least. I would be happy if that was the case.

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Jests and Water Mammals should be in the gutter with us ... The league will want Golden Boy to get his 6th ring though.

I think the Jets and Fish will be at least 3-4 wins ahead of the Bills by that point. Obviously the Patriots could start their backup QB and it wouldn’t matter much. 

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Cousins is overrated for what he's being paid. He's not an elite QB in the league, and that's fairly evident given the Vikings have a great roster around him. 

But this is exactly what I've been thinking in regards to our "Top Defense." While they may grade out that way statistically, their play is anything but consistent against teams. Now I'm not discounting the fact that they were on the field an inordinate amount of time, and infinitely more than any Defense ever should, but we were getting beat by Luck most of the game. Against these types of offenses with elite QBs, I think our Defense can be shutdown as long as they minimize their time on the field. With a competent offense, this defense poses much greater threats.

4-12 seems the most likely at present with hopes for 5-11.

Really good QBs can pick apart (relatively) complex zone schemes, which is what the Bills mostly run. Young QBs and ones who aren't very good at reading the field quickly really struggle. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree except I thought they played Rodgers well. I believe we forced three TOs that day and made Rodgers uncomfortable. The problem was our offense was so god awful. 

Stil not not a fan of Leslie as DC. 

I felt Rodgers had a poor game - he was relatively inaccurate (for him) even on throws where the pressure was modest. But I also think that the pressure was off of GB and they played out the string given how bad the Bills' O is.