The Vikings think Allen > Darnold

Teddy KGB

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Way too early to know anything.   Hopefully Allen stays injured and watches a few more games.   At least for the next one. 

It's not way too early. It's a little early. No need to be delusional and pretend that anything can happen. It's looking like a long shot for Allen and fans need to be honest about that.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Sam Darnold is starting to separate from the rest of his QB draft class.

Tyler Dunne was just commenting on this recently, mentioning Darnold is showing like 5th year understanding already and has the QB experts drooling.  

Allen is a bust waiting to happen.

What is the basis for this statement?   There is nothing to indicate that Darnold is clearly ahead of the rest of the rookie QBs.   Has the same ups and downs as everyone else.

AME LOG PASSING RUSHING
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT QBR RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
Sun 10/21 L 17-37 17 42 206 40.5 4.91 35 1 3 5.9 34.4 6 18 3.0 10 1
Sun 10/14 W 42-34 24 30 280 80.0 9.33 32 2 1 90.5 113.9 6 8 1.3 6 0
Sun 10/7 W 34-16 10 22 198 45.5 9.00 76 3 1 58.0 98.1 3 5 1.7 3 0
Sun 9/30 L 12-31 17 34 167 50.0 4.91 42 1 0 15.6 74.0 2 8 4.0 5 0
Thu 9/20 L 17-21 15 31 169 48.4 5.45 25 0 2 30.9 38.2 0 0 0.0 0 0

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Darnold is a rookie QB just like Mayfield, Allen, and Rosen. There will be ups and downs for all of them. Darnold also has the 2nd most talent around him behind Mayfield. Allen and Rosen are working with next to nothing. 

I would kill for 35 year old Larry Fitzgerald and 26 year old David Johnson

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Mayfield is the best QB of the rookies right now and it's not even close. 

I agree with that. He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t really looked lost, except vs the Chargers. He seems like he knows where to go and what to do. He has made some questionable decisions and Head scratching plays but that’s to be expected. Then again he’s the #1 pick so he should look the best. 

I think all the rookie QBs look like how they were assumed to look coming out of college. No real surprises other than I thought Rosen had better pocket presence. He had a trash OL at UCLA too so I thought he would handle it a bit better. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

17-42 with 3 pickles for Savior Sam 

Little food for thought for the anti Allen club. 

Couldn’t be the fact one wa s a road game, that they overlooked? And the other a home game they learned not to overlook a team anymore??

58 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The 4 rookie QB’s  have had their ups and downs and all have a long way to go...

Let’s revisit this time next year...

I will be very surprised if any of them look as good as Mahomes is looking this year though..

Right??? Sadly, it wont happen. The majority like to blow the last game out of proportion one way or the other. I totally get that its a 'what have you done for me lately ' league to an extent BUT, the amount of time, energy,  and effort that is put into the senseless arguments after each game is just dumbfounding.  

Why cant people just either be cautious,  or cautiously optimistic until each has had a body of work worthy of evaluation? 

This 'hes the next Favre' one week and 'the next Carr' the next is EXHAUSTING, not to mention small minded to a degree. I get that fans react as fans are fanatical fanatics BUT.. the proclamations of being able to see the future and knowing the answers are just silly.

Add to it that some screaming the loudest havent even watched the game themselves or are just regurgitating something they think someone smart said and it just makes it even worse. 

In summary, i guess i just wish more people kept a good or bad game to simply that - a game. One game. Once these games add up and are stacked, a body of work will take shape and really, only then will we be able to gauge what the player in question may or may not be. Sure, they are professional QBs but think back to your 1st days on the job. It takes a bit to learn and get in the groove. Ill bet you would be rather upset if people wanted to can you before you fully learned what the job entailed and how to do it...

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

I bet the whole league thinks Mahomes > Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson.

I'm not saying the other QB's would have the exact same numbers as Mahomes, but you have to admit that the other QB's would look a hell of a lot better if they had that team around them. Mahomes also had a year to sit and learn the offense behind Alex Smith with Andy Reid/Matt Nagy coaching him along the way. I bet $$$ Mayfield would be lighting up the league right now if he was on that team. All of the rookies would look better. The weapons they have on offense is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Darnold is a rookie QB just like Mayfield, Allen, and Rosen. There will be ups and downs for all of them. Darnold also has the 2nd most talent around him behind Mayfield. Allen and Rosen are working with next to nothing. 

Rosen has a ton of talent, and I don't get the drooling over him.  He has Kirk and Fitzgerald at WR, and D. Johnson at RB.     Rosen's issue is play calling perhaps, but he has talent.  

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm not saying the other QB's would have the exact same numbers as Mahomes, but you have to admit that the other QB's would look a hell of a lot better if they had that team around them. Mahomes also had a year to sit and learn the offense behind Alex Smith with Andy Reid/Matt Nagy coaching him along the way. I bet $$$ Mayfield would be lighting up the league right now if he was on that team. All of the rookies would look better. The weapons they have on offense is absolutely ridiculous. 

Exactly.  Sammy Watkins is the #3-4 receiving target on that team.  Think about that! 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

The 4 rookie QB’s  have had their ups and downs and all have a long way to go...

Let’s revisit this time next year...

I will be very surprised if any of them look as good as Mahomes is looking this year though..

None of them have Andy Reid as a head coach and a superlative surrounding cast on offense.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Sam Darnold is starting to separate from the rest of his QB draft class.

Tyler Dunne was just commenting on this recently, mentioning Darnold is showing like 5th year understanding already and has the QB experts drooling.  

Allen is a bust waiting to happen.

After this week's ratings come out, I predict that Darnold, Rosen, and Allen will all be in the bottom 4 of starting QBs according to PFF.

All 4 of the rookies are in the bottom 5 based on ESPN's QBR as well, and if you add up the Week 7 QBRs of each of the rookies that started, they barely edge out Derek Anderson.

4 hours ago, entropyrules said:

That's the problem though..will the game ever slow down for him? In watching a lot of his progressions and throws it just seems he doesn't see the field and process what is going on. As a Bill's fan I hope I am utterly wrong; I just get these visions of Losman ver. 2.0. In three years it will be one of two outcomes 1) all us so called  arm chair GMs/Coaches will be shown we don't know crap or 2) everyone will question the efficacy of using all that draft capital on a risky project QB.

It really doesn't matter what any of us think at this point as the Pegulas need to let this play out over the next 3-4 years and hope that McBeane knew what he (they) were doing.

That is the exactly the issue.  The thing that gives me hope is that he only played 2 years in division 1 football, and just barely.  I live in Las Vegas now and I know the mountain west conference.  It is not a very good caliber.   It is all most like going from a junior college to the pros.   He will need at least a full year and maybe a little more.  He is a high character guy with an incredible work ethic.  He does not blame others for his failures.  He seems to have very good leadership  qualities.  The past qb failures did not possess this set of character traits.  I remain optimistic about the future of Allen. 

I am losing my faith in the process though.  Yes we know this would be a rebuilding year.  But some of the  move that were not made are confusing .  Why did we not get a better back up qb than Peterman.  McDermott had a blind spot when it comes to the perceived lack of ability with Nate.   I believe Matt Moore is still unemployed.   He is not the greatest, but he would be an upgrade with our qb depth chart.

We all know the many other confusing moves that McBeane had made.

I want to trust the process, but that is getting more difficult to do.

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

B-but Allen was terrible at Wyoming! I even heard Mike Schopp say it on the radio so I know it’s true!

Wyoming is currently 2-6 (0-4 in the Mountain West) and is ranked 120th in the FBS subdivision in total offense.

Its a wonder why Allen didn’t effortlessly light up opposing defenses with video game numbers in such an offensive machine known as the Wyoming Cowboys football program. 

To go from that to this situation in Buffalo - I’m beginning to think that Josh Allen may just be the unluckiest SOB alive.

I agree with you about the poor quality of the Mountain West conference.  But that is the reason we need to give Allen more time to develop.   Hi has high character,  very good leadership skills and tons of physical talent.   I was one o. The multitude of Bills fans that screened "noooooooooo" when his name was called in the draft.  But I respect many things about Josh now.  He could be worth our patience. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Really? He’s looking like a rookie

Yeah I don't know what he's talking about either.  I watched the whole Jets game on dvr, he is SUCH a rookie still.  Some horrible throws and misreads.  Also had a few nice touch passes, but he's sub .500 completion material against good dbacks.  One of his picks wasn't his fault but he failed to see a lot of the field and it cost him.