Stating the obvious - the NFL talent level vs. Bills

PUNT750

8 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Please name one aspect of the Bills roster that is ABOVE the overall average talent level in the NFL.  We are so below that level in every area of play that it's more than sad.  With all the cap money that is available in 2019 ($97 mil)the Bills can't correct this mess.  Nobody wants to come to Buffalo without a fully guaranteed contract.  Why would a veteran offensive lineman,  LB, or experienced LB want to come here?  We'll have to over-pay and that has been a problem.  The "process" nonsense can't overcome the obvious. 

Buffalo is NOT a player friendly city. Nothing to do for young, black players.  It's true - believe it or not.

Where do these people come from; Green Bay seems to do OK!

Green Bay doesn't normally look to FA to add to the roster talent.  They were known for not signing FAs and doing their roster upgrades strickly through the draft.  

The Bills can't rely on cap space to fix this mess.  Most good FAs are locked up before they hit the market.  A few exceptions can be made to that rule, but most of the time injury history and age play a pivotal role in why they're available.  I've never understood front offices that had to have "their guys"?  I think the sign of good coaching and personnel people is making the puzzle pieces you have work, adapting your scheme to the strengths of the roster.  

8 hours ago, Success said:

The defensive side of the ball is actually pretty loaded - a lot of young guys, too.  We’re only behind the league on offense - way behind.

D was mercillessly shredded at will all game yesterady

by a 1-5 team that was ready to run for the bus

The defensive side of the ball is good.  I would argue it's Top 5 in the NFL.

Every week, I see people complaining that other Quarterbacks are throwing for 400 yards with ease and scoring 35+ points with regularity.

Well in that case... there have to be defenses that are letting that happen with regularity.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of how people view teams in the NFL.

A 2-4 team like the Atlanta Falcons with a good offense and bad defense is considered an "underachiever" that can't take advantage of it's incredible talent.

A 2-5 team like Buffalo with a good defense and bad offense is considered "talentless" and lucky every time they win.

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not a fan of how this coach and gm have done things, but you make people like me look ridiculous.

You mention LB twice in your dumb question, then you throw in that ***** at the end about nothing to do for young black players.

First of all, all players are relatively young. Second of all, do you know any black people? Please enlighten all of us crackers on what they like to do.

They like to do the same ***** as you and me. Well maybe I shouldn't include you, but the rest of us. Buffalo isn't NYC, LA, Miami, I've been to all those cities. Lived near Houston, Austin is great. But very few NFL cities offer things Buffalo can't. 

Chicago's cool, but meh. KC is whatever. Denver, not a fan. 

But I don't know, you seem to know what all those colored folks are up to, please enlighten us?

Garbage ass post

Just wanted to add, that most players want to go to a place they feel they can win and have a chance at the Lombardi.  (NE is hardly a haven for the nightlife but few top free agents ever say no to visiting BB OR the Pats.)

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The defensive side of the ball is good.  I would argue it's Top 5 in the NFL.

Every week, I see people complaining that other Quarterbacks are throwing for 400 yards with ease and scoring 35+ points with regularity.

Well in that case... there have to be defenses that are letting that happen with regularity.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of how people view teams in the NFL.

A 2-4 team like the Atlanta Falcons with a good offense and bad defense is considered an "underachiever" that can't take advantage of it's incredible talent.

A 2-5 team like Buffalo with a good defense and bad offense is considered "talentless" and lucky every time they win.

but D doesn't matter for the last 20 years, the top half of the league is out to win by racking up points with a franchise QB, trying to win 10-7 only works against the most rancid third of the NFL

the BIlls hope is 3 turnovers giving them red zone position to start drives

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

but D doesn't matter for the last 20 years, the top half of the league is out to win by racking up points with a franchise QB, trying to win 10-7 only works against the most rancid third of the NFL

That’s not entirely true. The Bears are winning based off of their D. I dare say if Mack was 100% they win that game yesterday! I also point to the Ravens who are winning right now with a sub par QB and average WR talent but a shut down D.   They lost that game because a kicker missed an extra point!

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That’s not entirely true. The Bears are winning based off of their D. I dare say if Mack was 100% they win that game yesterday! I also point to the Ravens who are winning right now with a sub par QB and average WR talent but a shut down D.   They lost that game because a kicker missed an extra point!

i'm only talking about teams gunning for 11 wins, my line of mediocrity.

the Bears aren't coming close to 11 wins this year

the Bears, like the BIlls also have some suicide-pact glory thing about the D

the D is dead, long dead in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

"Defense doesn't matter."

That statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Now I definitely agree the top teams in the NFL are those with Franchise Quarterbacks.  It's been that way for 50 years.  Not just 20.  But that's why Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott purged the roster for Draft Picks, so they could guarantee themselves a chance at one of the top QB prospects! 

Just because the Bills decided to (gasp) draft and sign players on the defensive side of the ball, doesn't mean they are trying to win games 10-7. 

They swung for the fences with their QB pick, precisely because they wanted a high-scoring offense.  But it's going to take TIME!

13 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

"Defense doesn't matter."

That statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Now I definitely agree the top teams in the NFL are those with Franchise Quarterbacks.  It's been that way for 50 years.  Not just 20.  But that's why Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott purged the roster for Draft Picks, so they could guarantee themselves a chance at one of the top QB prospects! 

Just because the Bills decided to (gasp) draft and sign players on the defensive side of the ball, doesn't mean they are trying to win games 10-7. 

They swung for the fences with their QB pick, precisely because they wanted a high-scoring offense.  But it's going to take TIME!

the top teams are gunning for 40 plus points every game

we just watched a "classic" SB with only one decent defensive stop THE WHOLE GAME, late in the 4th.

there is no stopping an elite QB out there, the best hope is to outscore him

if you want to strut around and walk tall about a team hoping to win 10-7, good ***** luck

9 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If you'd left Arizona off that list, your point would be better ... Phoenix is a huge city, and Arizona has lots of appeal for both young and old ....

It sure does, water shortages, 116 degrees in the shade and a dark future as America's least sustainable city. 

21 hours ago, eanyills said:

There is one aspect of the original post that isn’t garbage racial stereotyping and that’s that Buffalo doesn’t have a large affluent population, especially a black one.

In that regard, there is a void that a lot of other NFL cities have. There is a lack of high-end formal restaurants, clubs, etc. Those are things that young millionaires with high social profiles seek. When players like Jordan Matthews speak out, that’s what he’s referring to. I think that’s what this post refers to, too.

I’ve had the opportunity to travel a lot and I’ve spent significant time in most NFL cities. Buffalo isn’t the only NFL city lacking these things but we’re definitely bottom-10 for nightlife/social life. That’s not a knock on Buffalo, I like it a lot more overall than quite a few NFL cities but it is something we’re missing.

High end formal......I guess I have no empathy for players who can jet to anywhere in The off-season and live lavishly at home during.

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

the top teams are gunning for 40 plus points every game

we just watched a "classic" SB with only one decent defensive stop THE WHOLE GAME, late in the 4th.

there is no stopping an elite QB out there, the best hope is to outscore him

if you want to strut around and walk tall about a team hoping to win 10-7, good ***** luck

As was stated in my previous post (I know I'm probably wasting my time here)... THE BILLS TRADED UP TO DRAFT A QUARTERBACK IN THE TOP 10, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO HAVE AN ELITE PLAYER AT THE POSITION, SO THEY CAN POSSIBLY BECOME AN OFFENSE CAPABLE OF SCORING 40 POINTS PER GAME.

If the "master plan" was to build a defensive-based team and win games 10-7, I'm sure they would have been perfectly happy keeping Tyrod Taylor on the roster.  Instead of using all those valuable draft picks to move up and select a quarterback, they could have used them on more defensive players.  They could have gotten another pass rusher or another cornerback. 

I swear.  Some of the people on this board are the most clueless and impatient people sports fans I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.  Everything has to happen NOW, NOW, NOW.  And if it's not happening NOW, then they will whine and complain that ownership hasn't fired everyone yet. 

It's no coincidence that Buffalo and Arizona have the two worst offenses in the NFL.  Or that teams with rookie QBs have a combined record of 8-19-1 this season.  It's incredibly rare for a team with a rookie quarterback to have offensive success in that first year.  Last year, Deshaun Watson was the outlier.  Mitchell Trubisky was the norm.  If you go back to 2016, the Rams were dead-last in virtually every offensive category, and the Eagles were in the bottom-half.

11 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

As was stated in my previous post (I know I'm probably wasting my time here)... THE BILLS TRADED UP TO DRAFT A QUARTERBACK IN THE TOP 10, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO HAVE AN ELITE PLAYER AT THE POSITION, SO THEY CAN POSSIBLY BECOME AN OFFENSE CAPABLE OF SCORING 40 POINTS PER GAME.

If the "master plan" was to build a defensive-based team and win games 10-7, I'm sure they would have been perfectly happy keeping Tyrod Taylor on the roster.  Instead of using all those valuable draft picks to move up and select a quarterback, they could have used them on more defensive players.  They could have gotten another pass rusher or another cornerback. 

I swear.  Some of the people on this board are the most clueless and impatient people sports fans I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.  Everything has to happen NOW, NOW, NOW.  And if it's not happening NOW, then they will whine and complain that ownership hasn't fired everyone yet. 

It's no coincidence that Buffalo and Arizona have the two worst offenses in the NFL.  Or that teams with rookie QBs have a combined record of 8-19-1 this season.  It's incredibly rare for a team with a rookie quarterback to have offensive success in that first year.  Last year, Deshaun Watson was the outlier.  Mitchell Trubisky was the norm.  If you go back to 2016, the Rams were dead-last in virtually every offensive category, and the Eagles were in the bottom-half.

Tyrod's dilemma is a rarity for my 45 years of sports addictions in almost every sport on earth, somewhat successful but not worthy of fan confidence, Tebow was like this as well

i guess it began when he threw two 80 or so yard bombs in the same game and the fanbase started grumbling it meant the D didn't get enough rest.

he would never win in this town, and I can't blame the fans honestly

Why do I get the feeling it's the same people who thought this team would win 9-10 games before the season that are now saying have patience?

20 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If you go back to 2016, the Rams were dead-last in virtually every offensive category, and the Eagles were in the bottom-half.

What about other teams that were bad at offense but now are still bad at offense? You can't just pick a good team then go back and point out a time they were bad to prove that the Bills will be good.

35 minutes ago, Chemical said:

What about other teams that were bad at offense but now are still bad at offense? You can't just pick a good team then go back and point out a time they were bad to prove that the Bills will be good.

I'm not trying to "prove" the Bills will be good. 

I can't tell the future any more than you can.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the vast majority of rookie quarterbacks are bad, especially when it comes to running an NFL level passing game.  It's a huge jump that only select few are prepared for.  And when your QB is struggling, it drags down everyone and everything (receivers, linemen, running backs, coordinators) around them.

Considering the small school he attended, and the issues with his mechanics/accuracy - it was clear to even Josh Allen's biggest supporters that he was way behind the curve when compared to the others in this draft class (Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen specifically).  He was going to struggle and it was going to take time to mold him.  We were warned about this long before the Bills were even on the clock.  We were warned by the Bills front office in the press conference after they picked him.  We were warned in training camp and preseason.

Despite this, tons of Bills fans want to see results NOW.  They want to see progress on offense NOW.  They want the team to win NOW. 

And since it's not happening NOW, then it's clearly because Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott have no idea what they are doing and need to be fired immediately.

This is why GMs like Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley were too chicken-$#!+ to go aggressively after a quarterback in the draft.  It immediately put their jobs on the line.  They would rather stick with the mediocre-safe option (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor) that maxes out at 9 wins and gets you an early wild card exit.  Because the fans have exactly ZERO patience to stick through a rebuild.  It's quite possible that Allen busts and becomes the next in line after JP Losman and EJ Manuel.  But it's possible that he develops into the franchise savior we've all been waiting for. 

21 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'm not trying to "prove" the Bills will be good. 

I can't tell the future any more than you can.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the vast majority of rookie quarterbacks are bad, especially when it comes to running an NFL level passing game.  It's a huge jump that only select few are prepared for.  And when your QB is struggling, it drags down everyone and everything (receivers, linemen, running backs, coordinators) around them.

Considering the small school he attended, and the issues with his mechanics/accuracy - it was clear to even Josh Allen's biggest supporters that he was way behind the curve when compared to the others in this draft class (Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen specifically).  He was going to struggle and it was going to take time to mold him.  We were warned about this long before the Bills were even on the clock.  We were warned by the Bills front office in the press conference after they picked him.  We were warned in training camp and preseason.

Despite this, tons of Bills fans want to see results NOW.  They want to see progress on offense NOW.  They want the team to win NOW. 

And since it's not happening NOW, then it's clearly because Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott have no idea what they are doing and need to be fired immediately.

This is why GMs like Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley were too chicken-$#!+ to go aggressively after a quarterback in the draft.  It immediately put their jobs on the line.  They would rather stick with the mediocre-safe option (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor) that maxes out at 9 wins and gets you an early wild card exit.  Because the fans have exactly ZERO patience to stick through a rebuild.  It's quite possible that Allen busts and becomes the next in line after JP Losman and EJ Manuel.  But it's possible that he develops into the franchise savior we've all been waiting for. 

You said the vast majority of rookie QBs struggle. Then point out a couple that ended up being good while conveniently leaving out all the others which are WAY more common. 

It’s a respectable opinion for any Bills fan to have questions about whether a prospect with Allen’s history can develop. Especially when you see this team pass for under 100 yards 5 times in the last 13 games. There has to be at least some blame or at least questions about whether this coaching staff can develop a QB. 

Im not impatient. I knew they would be bad this year. But it is never acceptable for any offense  to be this bad. I don’t care what your excuses are.