Picking Mcdermott over McVay

LFC24

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Hmmmm.

Best runner in the league

Best Interior DL in the league

Franchise qb

What coach wouldn't do well?  

Gurley was awful his second year. Goff looked like a bust. A good coach gets the most out of his players. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I truly believe you'd be saying the same thing about Mcvay right now, until this roster is rebuilt this is what we are. The defense can only hold so much with an offense that can't generate any points, Daboll can only do so much but we need to see way more creativity. I don't care if we have to reinvent the wildcat, we need to start putting points on the board, flea flickers, statue of liberty, old school Green Bay Packers Power Sweep, it would be nice to just say screw it and start doing something outside the box on offense.

nope

McVay means no Brandon Beane. So there is a chance we could have had actual talent on this roster. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

What's your point?

Chuck Knox coached the 1981 Bills to the playoffs.

Mike Ditka coached the 1985 Bears to a Lombardi.

Bill Parcells coached the Giants to a win over the Bills in the 1991 Super Bowl.

All these "successful" HCs supposedly without great QBs had their success 2 or 3 or more decades ago.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

Chuck Knox coached the 1981 Bills to the playoffs.

Mike Ditka coached the 1985 Bears to a Lombardi.

Bill Parcells coached the Giants to a win over the Bills in the 1991 Super Bowl.

All these "successful" HCs supposedly without great QBs had their success 2 or 3 or more decades ago.

His post made no sense. He essentially called all those QBs crap, then asked you what is your point when you pointed out the difference in eras. I'd ignore him if I were you.

You're right and idk he's going to straddle a fence for 20 years. Doesn't sound comfortable

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

please name some great coaches who didn't have a great QB

I would add Bill Cowher to this list. He had to deal with some really horrible QBs; Slash Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and some other forgetful souls, but they still fielded a decent playoff-caliber team. Getting Big Ben put them over the hump. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

He didn't need "his guys", McVay inherited a 2nd year QB, the best RB in the league, picked up Woods in FA. What talent did Beane inherit? The only bright spot was Shady and although I liked Woods alot he was always going back to California.

Keep making excuses for McDermott. 

Not disagreeing with the OP and others, but please point to just ONE year, where OBD got ANYTHING right, this Millennium!

Owners, HCs, GMs, QBs, WRs, TEs, LBs, etc., etc.

There are so many whiffs, stiffs and busts chosen by any of these clowns, you might as well have the proverbial monkey tapping the typewriter! 

Spielberg couldn't invent how inept and clueless they have been, year over year over year! 

• Like (+1) 1

Yawn...?

Good grief...

Look...There are a few undeniable facts about the 2018 Buffalo Bills...They have the most dead cap money in the NFL, and this was the plan pretty much from day #1 of the McBeane union...The greatly unlikely Playoff appearance last year probably gave them the impression that they could do things with this roster no one expected...Instead, it's gone the way it logically should when you have about half-a-roster of talent...No one should be surprised...It was kind of the plan...

But...They will likely have a Top 5 pick in 2019, and as many as 9 more picks after that one...They will have a slew of cap space...They'll have a Top 10 QB with a little experience under his belt, and they will very likely have a Top 10 Defense when more reinforcements are added...

There was always the chance this season would go bad...It's not like you have to be all that smart to figure there was a chance this could happen...But the time to really judge McD and Beane will start next season...If there's more of this next year then all bets are off...But I'm not going to pine over an obviously talented young HC who just-so-happens to have one of, if not the most talented overall roster in the entire league...Not yet at least...?

• Like (+1) 1

This is one of those ones where I don't want to hear crap about hindsight is 50/50. Anyone that knows me knows I was actively calling for McVay.

I really don't understand our desire for ultra conservatism.  Last year we made the playoffs and it was the flukiest thing ever.  I flew from LA to JAX and had an absolutely miserable time watching Marrone HAND US THE GAME on a platter.  Outside of one drive where McDermott's D let Blake f***ing Bortles run for like 40 yards, the Jaguars did nothing.  They gave us the ball several times in good field position and we squandered it due to a complete misunderstanding of how and when to coach aggressively.

I guess this is just another dumb rant, but really I'm discouraged by our front office.  They've shown me no reason to think they're the answer, and I have a very similar feeling to how I felt around 25 games into all of our coaches since Wade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Can we put this Rams didn’t gut their roster narrative to bed? The Rams have made a lot of significant roster moves, especially to key positions.

In year 1,

New starting WR1, WR2, WR3, TE, LT, C, RG; DT, LB, CB1, FS, SS

In year 2, 

WR1 (again), TE, RG; DT, ALL 4 starting LB, CB1, CB2, CB3

They made roster moves in order to improve the talent at those positions.  "Gutting the roster" means that current players are cut and replaced with lesser players instead of better ones.  What positions did the Bills actually improve other than CB and S?  Certainly not WR or OL 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

McVay went to the Rams bc the franchise QB was in place.  This isnt even a discussion.

It's not a discussion because they didnt even offer him an interview. 

He didn't even have the chance to say no. If he said no, nothing they can do about it. Instead they went defense again. The owners are ***** lost. I wish them and rex just took that ***** yacht and went to Cuba.

12 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

It may or may not end well but we hired the youngest up and coming coordinator with a vision that would take the HC job. McVay wasn’t coming here.

What? McVay was like 30 when he was hired. Surely that's younger than McDermott.

1 minute ago, fridge said:

What? McVay was like 30 when he was hired. Surely that's younger than McDermott.

McVay is the youngest HC ever I believe. If you were that young and obviously in demand would you choose LA and a new qb to mold or Buffalo and Tyrod.

6 minutes ago, fridge said:

I see what you were saying. I meant the youngest coordinator we had a chance to hire.

3 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

The dude is in the Hall of Fame. I think its safe to say he is great. Those who don't are idiots. Or, the NFL HOF are idiots. 

Also, Simms got hurt the year they beat the Bills. So, yeah he won with a back-up, but Simms was a part of the team. 

Some day Eli Manning will be in the Hall of Fame, and I do not consider him great.

Unfortunately, I believe that our options have been more limited than most teams when it comes to hiring new GMs and coaches, as well as free agent acquisition, due to the combination of recent franchise reputation, ownership and the realities of being a small market team.  This also has impacted our ability to retain players.  It probably does not help that the Pegulas do not have a team structure with a strong president, which may have helped mitigate these issues.

Overall, there has been a level of front office ineptness over the last 20 plus years that is difficult to fathom.  I am tired of each new regime trying to convince us that they are smarter than everyone else and then failing miserably with head scratching decisions.