Picking Mcdermott over McVay

LFC24

1 hour ago, LFC24 said:

2 years ago we had a chance to pick the young offensive minded coach or the conservative defensive minded coach. 

We had a chance to erase almost 2 decades of mediocrity and not make the same mistake of hiring the same old defensive minded coach who has no idea how to develop a QB or run a offense. 

Rams took the risk, Pegula played it safe. One coach is running the best team in the NFL and the other is on a downward spiral  being blown out every other week with no real plan for the future. Offensive minds like McVay really do not come around that often in this league. He was special and we made a massive mistake not hiring him. Sean McVay would have been the perfect coach to develop Allen into the QB he has the potential to become. Missing out on players in the draft hurts, but making wrong decisions like this cripples a franchise and 

I truly believe you'd be saying the same thing about Mcvay right now, until this roster is rebuilt this is what we are. The defense can only hold so much with an offense that can't generate any points, Daboll can only do so much but we need to see way more creativity. I don't care if we have to reinvent the wildcat, we need to start putting points on the board, flea flickers, statue of liberty, old school Green Bay Packers Power Sweep, it would be nice to just say screw it and start doing something outside the box on offense.

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Doesnt make sense to me. Terry is the owner. If he’s going to fire the GM because he didn’t pick the QB he wanted then why not pick the guy you want and fire the GM anyway?

They didn't have a gm, remember? Whaley was put in the corner that draft. 

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

To my knowledge he did not.  He may have even put it out through closed channels that there were certain teams that he would not consider which included the Bills.  In my mind this happens every time we go through a HC vetting.  Sometimes word gets back to the fanbase but more than often it stays behind closed doors.

The year Buddy Nix got the GM job for the Bills I ran into Dave Caldwell who was with the Falcons at the time. I asked Dave if he put in for the Bills GM spot. Dave is from western New York and grew up a Bills fan. Dave told me he passed on it. Dimitrof warned Dave of going to the Bills at the time. Point being, of course guys will pass on the chance. I am willing to give McDermott and Beane one more complete year to show they can find the same level of talent on offense as they did on defense. 

McVay is a good coach who didn’t interview with the Bills. By your logic why isn’t Belichick the Bills coach?! Or any successful coach since Marv retired?

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The fact that you think going 9-7 and squeaking into the WC game is WINNING says everything in the world about where our expectations have gone as fans of this franchise.

No you don't get it. This year we are supposed to lose, and you're the loser for not accepting that.

Something about the tank and idk, gym teachers are smart, process, respect the football 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

What do you consider winning?  

Is this a serious question? 

For the past 15 years, there are teams that are always "in the hunt" for a title. New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc. 

There's a reason for that -- they don't "hope" to win games. They have offenses capable of taking the game over and ensuring the desired outcome. 

The Bills are once again doing it backwards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yes, I would.  The Bills offense in 2016 was about the best it had been since 1999, and played well for Lynn when it struggled under Ryan's original OC, Greg Roman.

Im not sure why we fired Roman since his offense wasn't the problem. 

How about Brandon Beane over Brett Veach. Now the GM of the Chiefs and the guy who fell in love with Mahomes and convinced Andy Reid he was their guy.  

Veach was also the guy Shady McCoy was pushing the Bill's to interview with when we had our GM vacancy.

Oh well.....should a, would a, could a.....the Pegulas whiffed again.  They've had a brutal go of it this far, little reason for optimism we these guys heading the ship. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Im not sure why we fired Roman since his offense wasn't the problem. 

It was Rex trying to save himself. I agree. 

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Lol @ the idea that we passed on McVay as appose to him choosing LA over Buffalo. 

He wasn't even given the option

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The plan that is currently working in Kansas City, Philadelphia and Carolina. That is what Sean is doing here so be patient and let them work. We aren't winning this year so get used to it.we need next offseason to  rebuild and then time for those players to develop.

Are you serious?  How, exactly, are KC and Philly examples of "the plan"???  Both of those teams are offensive powerhouses embracing offensive innovation not trying to resurrect the 1980s.

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Bill Parcells,Mike Ditka,Chuck Knox etc.

This is  2018 not 1981, 1985 or 1991.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I truly believe you'd be saying the same thing about Mcvay right now, until this roster is rebuilt this is what we are. The defense can only hold so much with an offense that can't generate any points, Daboll can only do so much but we need to see way more creativity. I don't care if we have to reinvent the wildcat, we need to start putting points on the board, flea flickers, statue of liberty, old school Green Bay Packers Power Sweep, it would be nice to just say screw it and start doing something outside the box on offense.

McVay didn't gut the Rams in order to bring in "his guys".  He built on the talented players already on the Rams on both sides of the ball even if his experience came from the offensive side.  He wouldn't have gutted the Bills offense just because they played for his predecessor.   He'd have hired first rate coordinators, too: DC Wade Phillips, OC Ken Whisenhunt, STC: Jim Fassel. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Rams were pretty openly mocked for hiring a guy as young as McVay. I don't think the Bills were ever in in him. Vance Joseph, Anthony Lynn, Harold Goodwin I remember being the rumors. 

Anyway, the Rams clearly made a great choice, but I am not sure he would have had the same amount of success here. 

Im not ready to call McDermott a failure, but he isn't getting results. Let's see how the team responds next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LFC24 said:

2 years ago we had a chance to pick the young offensive minded coach or the conservative defensive minded coach. 

We had a chance to erase almost 2 decades of mediocrity and not make the same mistake of hiring the same old defensive minded coach who has no idea how to develop a QB or run a offense. 

Rams took the risk, Pegula played it safe. One coach is running the best team in the NFL and the other is on a downward spiral  being blown out every other week with no real plan for the future. Offensive minds like McVay really do not come around that often in this league. He was special and we made a massive mistake not hiring him. Sean McVay would have been the perfect coach to develop Allen into the QB he has the potential to become. Missing out on players in the draft hurts, but making wrong decisions like this cripples a franchise and 

McVeigh took over a team that is similar to ours right now. Solid defense, good rb, struggling young QB and no WRs.... Can’t imagine us taking a step like they did on offense next year, but with the right moves can make big progress next season on offense. 

22 minutes ago, papazoid said:

all had pro bowl QB's

Like who...? McMahon,Simms,Ferragamo...they were pro bowlers?

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What's your point?

Edited by Misterbluesky

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Are you serious?  How, exactly, are KC and Philly examples of "the plan"???  Both of those teams are offensive powerhouses embracing offensive innovation not trying to resurrect the 1980s.

McVay didn't gut the Rams in order to bring in "his guys".  He built on the talented players already on the Rams on both sides of the ball even if his experience came from the offensive side.  He wouldn't have gutted the Bills offense just because they played for his predecessor.   He'd have hired first rate coordinators, too: DC Wade Phillips, OC Ken Whisenhunt, STC: Jim Fassel. 

They've also done everything that flys in the face of these dead cap, bad contract excuse makers.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

He didn't need "his guys", McVay inherited a 2nd year QB, the best RB in the league, picked up Woods in FA. What talent did Beane inherit? The only bright spot was Shady and although I liked Woods alot he was always going back to California.