Why do new coaches overhaul rosters?

major

Heard today that Jon Gruden has a two year plan to completely overhaul the raiders roster to bring in his own players. Why do coaches do this (our own included)? I’ve seen this done in my profession as well and it rarely works. I know some answers will revolve around new schemes and new players. But it seems to be more of an ego trip, in my opinion. So why do you think they do this? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, major said:

Heard today that Jon Gruden has a two year plan to completely overhaul the raiders roster to bring in his own players. Why do coaches do this (our own included)? I’ve seen this done in my profession as well and it rarely works. I know some answers will revolve around new schemes and new players. But it seems to be more of an ego trip, in my opinion. So why do you think they do this? 

Just now, CookieG said:

Ego.

Good question and good answer

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, major said:

Probably because they just got hired because the last guy got fired for putting out an inadequate roster/system. So they tear down the old team so they can rebuild with their own framework. 

If you finally got a shot at your dream job. To achieve your vision do you pound square pegs into round holes or find pegs that are round? The owner approves you to get rid of players that you dont want, accumulate draft picks, get your potential franchise QB, and address always being up against the salary cap. That would look a lot like what we see. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Probably because they just got hired because the last guy got fired for putting out an inadequate roster/system. So they tear down the old team so they can rebuild with their own framework. 

The previous regime managed to be consistently mediocre. Should be able to tweak that with a few improvements . Why do people believe you have to be the worst in the league before you can be any good ?