This atrocity should be expected

Steptide

25 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

This franchise in general is also paying for the horrible drafts of 2015 and 2016. This year was just not supposed to be a good year for them. They have a very talented group of young players from the last two drafts who aren't ready to take the team over, their veterans are getting very old, and they lost the heart and soul of their offensive line. There's nothing in between because of those poor drafts.

IMO this is not a GM or HC issue. It's just a season, with a roster in transition, that this franchise and it's fans unfortunately have to muddle through in the hopes that the young players (Josh Allen especially), the 2019 draftees and the new FA's prove that the process is indeed working with a 2019 season of a young team ready for a decade long run at playoff and Super Bowl contenders.

I have faith that the 2019 season will show that the process is working.

2015: Darby - Traded, Miller still here, O’Leary cut. So a draft that has 50% players this regime got rid of two of them. 

2016: Lawson Here, Ragland - Traded, Washington - Cut, Jones - Traded, Williams - Cut Listenbee Cut Seymour - Traded 

so again their choice to move those players off the roster causing this talent gap. 

Ooo not to mention all on Rookie Contracts. 

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

2015: Darby - Traded, Miller still here, O’Leary cut. So a draft that has 50% players this regime got rid of two of them. 

2016: Lawson Here, Ragland - Traded, Washington - Cut, Jones - Traded, Williams - Cut Listenbee Cut Seymour - Traded 

so again their choice to move those players off the roster causing this talent gap. 

We have 2 players from 2012-1016 drafts...

I have not watched any game live this year, except for my brothers bday because he asked me to with him, because i knew this team would be frustrating to watch and we would likely be at 5 wins all year. I expect big progressions next but can not spend my emotional capital on a rebuilding year. This team will be better next year- i bet 10 wins- but right now i am expecring poor play overall.

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We have 2 players from 2012-1016 drafts...

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Rams have about 15 guys from 2012-2016 drafts...

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Or you can just let those contracts play out like the ones of Dareus, Watkins, Darby, and Glenn instead of trading them for trash/mid to late draft picks because they don't fit your gimmick "process". 

I will give you Watkins but Dareus wasn't worth the contract anymore

54 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

This franchise in general is also paying for the horrible drafts of 2015 and 2016. This year was just not supposed to be a good year for them. They have a very talented group of young players from the last two drafts who aren't ready to take the team over, their veterans are getting very old, and they lost the heart and soul of their offensive line. There's nothing in between because of those poor drafts.

IMO this is not a GM or HC issue. It's just a season, with a roster in transition, that this franchise and it's fans unfortunately have to muddle through in the hopes that the young players (Josh Allen especially), the 2019 draftees and the new FA's prove that the process is indeed working with a 2019 season of a young team ready for a decade long run at playoff and Super Bowl contenders.

I have faith that the 2019 season will show that the process is working.

I agree...I expected this. Didn't want it, obviously...but it's not surprising. 

Would have been interesting to see JA with Wood and Incognito with a healthy Shady on O.

Those two names right there are the main reasons for why the Bills are where they're at right now.

Gotta be good in the trenches and our o-line is a hot mess. 

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Those players mostly suck though.

Darby worse than who is the other CB?

O’Leary worse than Khari Lee?

Seymour worse than the other CBs on this team? 

Williams - a RB so dont care too much

• Like (+1) 1

These apologists threads have got to stop. 

No one was expecting this disaster. This is a disaster of epic proportions. 

Assuming we fire these clowns after the season, it will take 5 years to get back to average. Another 2 to compete. 

We are 7-10 years out before we can even think of playoffs again. 

This sabotage is not only unnecessary it should also be criminal. 

We need to bring these clowns up on fraud charges and send them away. 

It’s like we are targeted by con-men. This is not the 1st time this has happened and our naive owners are just fools. 

Future is bleak at the moment. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nonsense. They created most of the dead cap by choice. 

You are exactly right that they by design created the gargantuan cap space. They made a decision to take a major cap hit all at once instead of stretching it out. That's the point that Steptide was making. Go back and look at what all the pro prognosticators/analysts were making about the Bills prior to the season. There was an overwhelming consensus that at best the Bills were a six win team, and most were saying the record would be worse. The obvious reason was that the organization was shedding talent and contracts and bringing in short term contracts for this year. And if you factor in our flimsy qb situation that included the least ready rookie prospect then the carnage you are seeing so far was predictable and should have been expected. Again, that's the point that Steptide was clearly making. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You are exactly right that they by design created the gargantuan cap space. They made a decision to take a major cap hit all at once instead of stretching it out. That's the point that Steptide was making. Go back and look at what all the pro prognosticators/analysts were making about the Bills prior to the season. There was an overwhelming consensus that at best the Bills were a six win team, and most were saying the record would be worse. The obvious reason was that the organization was shedding talent and contracts and bringing in short term contracts for this year. And if you factor in our flimsy qb situation that included the least ready rookie prospect then the carnage you are seeing so far was predictable and should have been expected. Again, that's the point that Steptide was clearly making. 

No. He made a point that they have been hamstrung.  Nonsense again.  They created dead cap themselves. They have a greater goal in mind, but no one should try to pretend they were dealt a bad hand. 

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I post something similar every week after these losses. This season was never gonna be good. Last year was very fun making the playoffs, but it was also very flukey (the fumble by Matt Ryan against Atlanta, the Colts game, the Dalton pass etc) 

While I don't agree with every decision McBean have made since they were hired, they've also been a bit handcuffed by the dead cap money. I'll say it again, if we're sitting here a year from now in the same boat, then yes, fire McDermott, but this season was truly a "hit the reset button' year. McDermott and beane knew this, hence beane not wanting to give up a single draft pick in 19 to move up in the draft in 18. Don't fool yourselves, McDermott absolutely knew how bad we'd be this year. That doesn't mean they're not trying to win though. We have 9 games left and I expect alot more of what we've seen so far. Hopefully we can pull out a few wins and have a few good weeks, but don't hold.your breath 

Great post. I expected it to be a tough season. The blowout losses are the main concern, though. Young team or not, gotta compete week in and week out otherwise these blowouts start to pile up and can quickly demoralize an entire team and crush whatever culture was being built.

They may have overestimated themselves in certain areas but this is what happens when you finally rip off all the band-aids and truly start over. For over a decade we've been told "this team is close" and they were just one or two players away from making it over the hump. Year after year of quick-fixes, short-term planning, poor cap management, etc. So for years fans have called for the full rebuild. Now that they're getting it, most of them can't handle it and think swapping out another coaching staff and front office is the answer. What do you think a new staff would wanna do? Build the team in their vision. So it would be back to square one all over again. 

It's not a lot of fun to watch but just let these dudes keep working. Either way it's gonna be alright, because it's just a f*ckin' game. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No. He made a point that they have been hamstrung.  Nonsense again.  They created dead cap themselves. They have a greater goal in mind, but no one should try to pretend they were dealt a bad hand. 

Exactly. The hand they were dealt was pretty close to the NFL average. Setting records for offensive futility isn’t OK, regardless of your greater plan. It’s a flawed plan if it requires being the worst in the league by a mile . 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What you are say is essentially what he is saying. They by design took the hit in bulk for a payoff not in the next season but in the not too distant future past this year. You are not disagreeing with him so much as agreeing with him.