The Bills deliberately did not maximize their roster talent this year

jtothebrown

21 minutes ago, SDS said:

Seriously?

They moved as many veterans that are not a part of the future off the books this year, have loaded up on draft picks next year, and have nearly $60 million in cap space. What exactly is it that you don’t see? 

I think 91 mil in cap space- regardless, it is a good problem to have. Thing is, it has to be done right with top value in mind with every move. 

Personnaly, in a QB, offense first league- I am grabbing another QB wether it be Carr or drafting another one. Allen hasnt earned the keys yet.

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I think 91 mil in cap space- regardless, it is a good problem to have. Thing is, it has to be done right with top value in mind with every move. 

Personnaly, in a QB, offense first league- I am grabbing another QB wether it be Carr or drafting another one. Allen hasnt earned the keys yet.

Thanks. I corrected my post.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SDS said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Yeah, you might want to title it, “Terrible thread that you don’t want to open”

• Haha (+1) 3

It's year 2 of a 3 year plan. We had to start a QB today that hasn't started a game in 2yrs.  Our best offensive player was hurt during the first series of the game. It is what it is. Expect the worst and hope for the best. This year was all about drafting a franchise QB. Our offense is setting league records in futility and our defense didn't play up too expectations today. at 2-5 the team is what its record is. I am "hoping" that the team shows better Monday night against NE.

24 minutes ago, SDS said:

You have no idea what assurances they were given by the Pegulas. 

I mentioned this to someone else. Im sure they sat down with their 5 year plan to rebuild. Im sure they didnt just hire them and were told do whatever you want guys. Im sure they told them year one this and year 2 that and year three the other. A couple hiccups along the way like Woods and Richie and here we are. As a fan the only two choices I have is 1) stop watching and wait till they improve 2) keep watching and say I rode this whole thing through. I choose B

Edited by fansince88
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, SDS said:

No. I didn’t say that. I have no idea if they will be successful or not. But the plan is obvious.

Past seasons are a sunk cost. They are gone. Get over it. There is only today and how you move forward. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

So F****** what, two professional NFL reputations are on the line, why so hard to grasp! LEAVE THE BAR NOW!

Man you are out there!

26 minutes ago, SDS said:

That's what's important to remember.  I think the Pegulas, Beane, and McDermott all knew what was coming this year and they all agreed that it was a 3 - 4 year process.  They knew it was about 2019.  A lot of their success though depends on the QB position, so I hope Allen turns out to be a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

That's what's important to remember.  I think the Pegulas, Beane, and McDermott all knew what was coming this year and they all agreed that it was a 3 - 4 year process.  They knew it was about 2019.  A lot of their success though depends on the QB position, so I hope Allen turns out to be a franchise QB.

Yeah...  I think there are a lot of things working against Josh. 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Yeah...  I think there are a lot of things working against Josh. 

Agreed.  Terrible OL.  The worst WR Corp I have EVER seen.  OC, playcalling, etc.  It all makes it difficult to know if he'll succeed.  I suppose the OC could succeed if they had better personnel too.  We can't fast forward to 2019 fast enough.

Edited by PIZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

Agreed.  Terrible OL.  The worst WR Corp I have EVER seen.  OC, playcalling, etc.  It all makes it difficult to know if he'll succeed.  I suppose the OC could succeed if they had better personnel too.  We can't fast forward to 2019 fast enough.

I don’t think Josh comes from a background that historically has lead to success. 

3 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

Mabey ill choose the one you sleep under!

Good luck in your future endeavors

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t think Josh comes from a background that historically has lead to success. 

If there is still an unknown (which is likely) with Josh after this season, they better get a vet backup that can win games.  If they get FA OL and WRs and draft some blue chippers on Offense, they better have a better plan B and C at QB than they did this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Seriously?

They moved as many veterans that are not a part of the future off the books this year, have loaded up on draft picks next year, and have  $90 million in cap space. What exactly is it that you don’t see? 

Pretty easy to me what I personally don't see.  Their plan is assanine.  

#1 - They tried to tank last year, and that quick start, coupled with an absolute horrid year for the AFC put them in the playoffs.  OK, no biggie.  It was fun anyway.  

#2 - The plan this year was to finish the tank.  Fine.  Just say so.  I've been a season ticket holder for almost 20 years.  Don't play this dumb charade like they are trying.  I can easily handle that they wanted this year to do the things you said above, which is the easy way out of things.  They haven't done anything hard.  The cut a bunch of people.  That's the easiest part of their plan.

#3 - The draft picks they have next year......great.  They have a bunch of mid round picks.  They usually don't amount to much.

#4 - My biggest gripe.  Their plan this year is flat out garbage.  You don't draft a QB high like they did, and completely gut the offense around him.  It's absolutely stupid.  They knew, and didn't address, the WR corps at all.  If anything, they got worse.  That's inexcusable.  Then, they pretty much did the exact same thing to the line in front of their new rookie QB.  Granted, they had a couple of flukish things go against them in Richie and Wood, but still had time to address things.   Not really sure why a relatively young Cordy Glenn was also run out of town.   Next, they stand pat with a backfield of a couple of 30 plus year old RB's.  Seems smart to me.   If all of those draft picks we have next year are that impressive, McCoy should be out of here for a 4th or 5th.  

They botched the QB room, period.  Even if they wanted Allen to sit this year, they had to figure at some point he would have to play once one of our other deer in the headlights guys (Peterman or McCarron when he was here) was going to get hurt.   This is a NFL team that is seriously challenged in completing a downfield pass.  In the year 2018, we can't score a TD in half the games we play.  It's not about anything other than how this roster is constructed.  And it's not constructed to help a rookie QB develop.  Defense though........another story.  Seems pretty logical.  Not.

I get they are tanking on purpose.  Albeit, it might be the only team in NFL history trying their best to lose while already having their high priced rookie QB.   So, what are we tanking for?  A LT I guess.  RT?  WR?  Who knows.

I'm hoping they can't be this incredibly stupid.  They have next year, and that's it.  There's no more excuses after this year to address this putrid offensive roster.  Clear space or not, there's no reason this roster is this bad.  None.

There's plenty out there that people "don't get".   And rightfully so.

I know someone like Chris Brown would probably tell us something different, and how rosy things are, but come on.  There's reason to be somewhat concerned about their "process".

Edited by Lv-Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

OK, this easily goes to number one for TBD most stupidest post ever; so Beane and McDermott want to screw the only chance they will ever have at HC and GM. Step away from the bar, go home, and sleep it off!

we should have a poll.
i think this is not nearly the stupidest post ever.

59 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I mentioned this to someone else. Im sure they sat down with their 5 year plan to rebuild. Im sure they didnt just hire them and were told do whatever you want guys. Im sure they told them year one this and year 2 that and year three the other. A couple hiccups along the way like Woods and Richie and here we are. As a fan the only two choices I have is 1) stop watching and wait till they improve 2) keep watching and say I rode this whole thing through. I choose B

I'll keep watching....except with my kitchen junk drawer in front of me next week. That way I haven't wasted 3 hours of my life. I'll have a 5-S'd drawer!