Does anybody care about Alabama games?

/dev/null

Does anybody care about Alabama games?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does anybody care about Alabama games?

• Yes - And I'm an Alabama fan
    • No - And I'm an Alabama fan
    • Yes - And I'm not an Alabama fan
    • No - And I'm not an Alabama fan

On 10/21/2018 at 7:51 AM, Bill from NYC said:

What I will say about the Tide is that other teams gear up for big games. Saban has the team just play like they always do, or so it seems to me.

That is a big part of the genius of Nick Saban. People talk all the time about Saban being a recruiter rather than a coach. He wins because he always has the best players. Blah, blah, blah. The fact is, Saban's teams fairly consistently play to their standard, regardless of opponent. You don't often see a "flat" week. He manages to get 18-22 year old kids to play their game, whether it's LSU or the Citadel. It's why Bama has only lost by 14 points once in 12 seasons under Saban. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Alabama and the SEC are on the way down. The rest of the conference being so weak will only weaken Alabama as their competition decreases so will the benefit of playing for Alabama. This happened a dozen or so years ago with the B10, and prior to that the PAC12, it's cyclical.

But, don't bash the MAC. They are phenomenonal

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsFanCRNA said:

That is a big part of the genius of Nick Saban. People talk all the time about Saban being a recruiter rather than a coach. He wins because he always has the best players. Blah, blah, blah. The fact is, Saban's teams fairly consistently play to their standard, regardless of opponent. You don't often see a "flat" week. He manages to get 18-22 year old kids to play their game, whether it's LSU or the Citadel. It's why Bama has only lost by 14 points once in 12 seasons under Saban. 

You've been talking to Barners I see. That's a favorite talking point among them. That, and the Illuminati control/pay everybody off.

Barners used to argue that Malzahn is a better coach than Saban, because Malzahn can make in game adjustments.

Funny how that noise slowly dissipated, and went dead quiet after the onside kick in the first Clemson NC game.

10 hours ago, Cynical said:

You've been talking to Barners I see. That's a favorite talking point among them. That, and the Illuminati control/pay everybody off.

Barners used to argue that Malzahn is a better coach than Saban, because Malzahn can make in game adjustments.

Funny how that noise slowly dissipated, and went dead quiet after the onside kick in the first Clemson NC game.

Make that the Red Elephant Club.....

11 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Any of you Bills/Bama fans making their way to LSU next week? If so, there’s an open invitation to my tailgate.

Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately, I'm on call for surgery that weekend, so I'm not. Since you're in NO, any chance you were at Fat Harry's for the Dolphins game in week 17 last year?  We were there for the CFP that weekend, just wondering if we crossed paths...

Edited by BillsFanCRNA

22 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Alabama and the SEC are on the way down. The rest of the conference being so weak will only weaken Alabama as their competition decreases so will the benefit of playing for Alabama. This happened a dozen or so years ago with the B10, and prior to that the PAC12, it's cyclical.

But, don't bash the MAC. They are phenomenonal

Yeah, the SEC needs to toughen up and be more like the powerhouse ACC. :)

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, the SEC needs to toughen up and be more like the powerhouse ACC. :)

The acc still has football?  Clemson was a fluke and the acc is a joke.

Either way, it is always the same just a new roll every decade.

Pound for pound one of the most consistent has been the MAC, though

19 hours ago, BillsFanCRNA said:

Make that the Red Elephant Club.....

The REC is the Illuminati. The Illuminati is just a cover.

How else can we take over the world with the sole purpose of making sure Bama football is the best in the world.

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Of course not.  At least not before November since they never play anyone before then.

Who's on the schedule this week, North Mississippi A&M?

Brother, why pick on the Tide? Clemson has a much easier schedule and their entire conference is second rate.

This season, Alabama will face Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi St, Auburn, and Georgia (if Bama wins their division). This is not to mention a few other games vs. SEC teams.

What conference do you think is very tough, the Big 10? I mean really? :)

44 minutes ago, H2o said:

I haven't liked Saban since he was at MSU. Never liked Alabama to begin with either. Combine the two and there you have it. 

Yeah, he isn't known for having a great personality. He is just smarter and more cunning and organized than his competition. Then, he out-works and defeats them again and again.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, he isn't known for having a great personality. He is just smarter and more cunning and organized than his competition. Then, he out-works and defeats them more often than not.

Agreed. The guy is NEVER satisfied. He is undoubtedly a great coach. As a ND fan I disliked him back in the day and it has done nothing, but grow over the years. 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:55 PM, H2o said:

Agreed. The guy is NEVER satisfied. He is undoubtedly a great coach. As a ND fan I disliked him back in the day and it has done nothing, but grow over the years. 

As I've gotten older I find it easier to accept that players/people you disliked because of who they played for etc were actually good and it's ok to admit it. If you ever get a chance to see Saban in person go do it. He is a very smart detailed oriented person. He would be successful no matter what business he pursued. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/28/2018 at 6:01 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Brother, why pick on the Tide? Clemson has a much easier schedule and their entire conference is second rate.

This season, Alabama will face Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi St, Auburn, and Georgia (if Bama wins their division). This is not to mention a few other games vs. SEC teams.

What conference do you think is very tough, the Big 10? I mean really? :)

Lots of reasons.

First and foremost, they are not held to the same standard of earning it on the field as everyone else, but instead are fully guaranteed a spot in the playoffs with a loss, no matter to who or when.  If Clemson (or LSU or Michigan or ND or Oklahoma, etc) loses in November or in their conference championship game, they're out.  No questions asked.  Yet if Alabama loses -- no matter how late in the season -- they are propped up in the polls with the "oh, they're still the best team" justification and given another chance that no one else (except maybe OSU) would be afforded.   The most inexcusable example of this is of course, 2011, where they played nobody except LSU, lost, and were still put in the championship game.  And this was back when it was only a two team playoff, which was even more absurd but highlighted that Alabama would never, ever be punished for losing a game.  Then in 2017, they lose their big game against Auburn, don't even reach their conference championship game, yet are somehow in the top 4 for a 'national' championship.  So basically we don't have a national championship, we have a big money, Southern teams plus OSU and a handful of others if we need them championship.

The equivalent would be the NFL saying "sorry Washington, nice job winning your division and we know Green Bay finished 3d in their division but we're taking them for the playoffs instead because they are 'better' than you."

Second, Alabama plays a joke schedule -- maybe 3 decent teams a year but about 5 complete patsies (including the full division 2 circuit all September and usually a bye week opponent late in the year), so they are not worn down by week 10 like most teams.

Third, SEC is always overrated.  It's strong on top but not once you get past the top few teams.  Nothing more absurd that seeing a gang of mediocre SEC teams ranked in the top 25 to start the season, just so they can justify keeping them all there as they beat each other.  They are already angling for 2 SEC teams in this year's playoffs as evidenced by LSU being #3.   If LSU beats Alabama, Alabama goes no lower than #4.  I'd bet my house on it.

So I hate on them because they are the Patriots of college football.  Yes, they are great, so why the need to give them every additional advantage?   Why not hold them to the same standards as everyone else?

I know, the answer is money.  Too bad, college football was a lot better in the old days with the bowl alliances and national polls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.