Does anybody care about Alabama games?

/dev/null

Does anybody care about Alabama games?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does anybody care about Alabama games?

• Yes - And I'm an Alabama fan
    • No - And I'm an Alabama fan
    • Yes - And I'm not an Alabama fan
    • No - And I'm not an Alabama fan

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Lots of reasons.

First and foremost, they are not held to the same standard of earning it on the field as everyone else, but instead are fully guaranteed a spot in the playoffs with a loss, no matter to who or when.  If Clemson (or LSU or Michigan or ND or Oklahoma, etc) loses in November or in their conference championship game, they're out.  No questions asked.  Yet if Alabama loses -- no matter how late in the season -- they are propped up in the polls with the "oh, they're still the best team" justification and given another chance that no one else (except maybe OSU) would be afforded.   The most inexcusable example of this is of course, 2011, where they played nobody except LSU, lost, and were still put in the championship game.  And this was back when it was only a two team playoff, which was even more absurd but highlighted that Alabama would never, ever be punished for losing a game.  Then in 2017, they lose their big game against Auburn, don't even reach their conference championship game, yet are somehow in the top 4 for a 'national' championship.  So basically we don't have a national championship, we have a big money, Southern teams plus OSU and a handful of others if we need them championship.

The equivalent would be the NFL saying "sorry Washington, nice job winning your division and we know Green Bay finished 3d in their division but we're taking them for the playoffs instead because they are 'better' than you."

Second, Alabama plays a joke schedule -- maybe 3 decent teams a year but about 5 complete patsies (including the full division 2 circuit all September and usually a bye week opponent late in the year), so they are not worn down by week 10 like most teams.

Third, SEC is always overrated.  It's strong on top but not once you get past the top few teams.  Nothing more absurd that seeing a gang of mediocre SEC teams ranked in the top 25 to start the season, just so they can justify keeping them all there as they beat each other.  They are already angling for 2 SEC teams in this year's playoffs as evidenced by LSU being #3.   If LSU beats Alabama, Alabama goes no lower than #4.  I'd bet my house on it.

So I hate on them because they are the Patriots of college football.  Yes, they are great, so why the need to give them every additional advantage?   Why not hold them to the same standards as everyone else?

I know, the answer is money.  Too bad, college football was a lot better in the old days with the bowl alliances and national polls.

Clemson? Alabama's schedule is 10x tougher than theirs. And I'm being serious.....I don't remember; in what month was their loss to Syracuse? You remember, the one where Swinney had the nerve to go in and address the Syracuse team after the game but I digress.

Alabama deserved to lose to Auburn last year. They were flat out beat. You do however realize that they were missing their top 4 linebackers, right? The team that folks said should get the 4 spot was OSU, a team with 2 losses, one of them a 32 point blowout to a very mediocre opponent. If Alabama suffered that kind of loss to that kind of team, injuries or not, they would NEVER have made the playoffs nor even be considered.

Btw, 2011? Really? They brutally destroyed LSU in the final. If they lose on Saturday (which certainly could happen), how far down do you think they should fall? LSU is ranked high because they are that good.

You might disagree but I think that the middle of the pack SEC teams are every bit as good as the middle of the pack Big 10 teams. Imo the difference is the distance between these teams and the top of their respective divisions.

Finally, you speak of money? Alabama is considered by most  to be a downtrodden state. It is anything but rich and is sparsely populated compared to lots of other states, including most of those you mentioned. The Crimson Tide, unlike The Cowboys, Patriots,  Notre Dame, and even Penn State doesn't have a strong national following. I am a fan because I was introduced to them as a little kid more than 50 years ago. TV ratings might even go up if they are out of the playoffs, or so I think.  There are probably even idiots who think that it is racist to be a Tide Fan but these same morons would be shocked at the number of African-American Fans Bama has and how over the top enthusiastic they are.

PS: As a fellow Bills fan let me suggest this: watch the wide receivers. I think they have 4 in the college top 20 and 3 are sophs, the other a freshman. Jerry Jeudy (#4) is impossible to cover. Imo he is already better than Ridley. Sometimes they put him in the slots and the other guys are wide open and Tua finds them. It's pretty amazing. :)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

On MNF the announcers crowed how the Bills cowardly gimmick football in the first quarter was like watching Alabama

agreed, I was disappointed as I tuned in to watch a football game 

Are you insane? Watching the Bills is like watching Alabama? Really? I wonder if anyone else on the planet thinks this! :huh::o:doh:

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Are you insane? Watching the Bills is like watching Alabama? Really? I wonder if anyone else on the planet thinks this! :huh::o:doh:

That's what the TV crew said on MNF in the first quarter when the Bills ran the beta-team tinker-toy  option trash for their first few series.

Yeah, it did remind me a big of "big time" college O, which isn't really football.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I definitely don’t care enough to DVR LSU-Bama, but I’ll flip back and forth until one is out of hand 

First is the Owls at UCF now

UCF pinpointed 3 passes to go about 80 yards in 3 plays and 60 seconds real time

Four games tonight

Owls

Leafs

Raiders

celtics

fast forward to the start of each play, dump garbage time games, takes about an hour to go through each game with replays

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.