Mega Millions this Tuesday: $1,600,000,000

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's fine.    If you take that lump sum and put it in the bank you take the same gamble, and if you bury it in the back yard that's even worse.    

Change it all to gold and bury it at Oak Island.  I hear it is really safe there.?

• Haha (+1) 1

I only buy a ticket when the jackpots get press like this, so I have no idea how the process typically works.  I stopped at a store this morning to get some breakfast and a drink, then decided to grab a ticket.  Is not being allowed to use a credit card to buy that a policy from the lottery or from the credit company itself?  I can see the credit company not wanting to get stuck with someone trying to buy a huge number of tickets, but there's clearly no games being played by someone who did what I did this morning.

I could handle being a billionaire. It happens to people besides Oprah. The woman who reinvented girdles and called them Spanks is a billionaire. So is the the girl in the thong from Weekend at Bernie's. I don't think the money would change me at all. At least not for a while. It would be months before I started hunting people for sport and cloning pandas for meat and fur.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Rather than nearly zero chance to win an insane fortune, I wish they could divvy up the money so that you had a reasonable shot at a much smaller, but nice, sum.

They sort of do, it's called NY Lotto.    Odds are 1 in 7mil., although you are probably talking better odds than that.

Edited by Greybeard

70 of us are in the office pool now.   so that'll go well if we do win....

2 hours ago, ocemur said:

I could handle being a billionaire. It happens to people besides Oprah. The woman who reinvented girdles and called them Spanks is a billionaire. So is the the girl in the thong from Weekend at Bernie's. I don't think the money would change me at all. At least not for a while. It would be months before I started hunting people for sport and cloning pandas for meat and fur.

All I want is the house I found in the Keys, my boat, and another house in Wyoming.   I want to fish in the summer, and hunt elk and deer in the winter.    That is literally all I want to do with my life.  

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

70 of us are in the office pool now.   so that'll go well if we do win....

All I want is the house I found in the Keys, my boat, and another house in Wyoming.   I want to fish in the summer, and hunt elk and deer in the winter.    That is literally all I want to do with my life.  

To tie this in with the high school thread how much would you pay for a cheesecake pic of an old romantic interest from back then?  Hate to say it while I am not OLD I am probably old enough where the mileage has taken a toll on the women from back in the day.  I saw a pic of one woman who prided herself on being good looking while in school but looks like ten miles of bad road now.

8 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

how do you not take the payments?  It's 40 mil a year isn't it?    for 30 years?   Give me that.    If I can't make that much money work a year i'm not trying hard enough. 

Never take the annuity.  You lose control of the principal.  And most states allow for only one beneficiary.  So if you die in a horrible car crash after one payment and your bene is in the car with you?   Whoopsie.  

On 10/20/2018 at 5:34 PM, teef said:

That money is going to destroy someone and their family. It will be glorious and tragic to watch.  

This would be my immediate concern. You're basically setting up a family member or even yourself to be kidnapped. People who have won way less in the lottery have been murdered over it.

Bought my ticket a half hour ago. 

Edited by The Jerk

18 hours ago, shrader said:

I only buy a ticket when the jackpots get press like this, so I have no idea how the process typically works.  I stopped at a store this morning to get some breakfast and a drink, then decided to grab a ticket.  Is not being allowed to use a credit card to buy that a policy from the lottery or from the credit company itself?  I can see the credit company not wanting to get stuck with someone trying to buy a huge number of tickets, but there's clearly no games being played by someone who did what I did this morning.

That's right, no credit card sales. Lets say you buy $500 worth of tickets and don't get a single winner. $500 down the drain, right? Nah, just call up the credit card company and report your card lost/stolen. 

You can pay by credit though if you go through the NY Lottery web site and set up a subscription. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I win...and I will win because it's my destiny to triumph magnificently...I'm gonna need some help 

I live a reasonably happy, comfortable existence and i think I could eke by with let's say $47 million of the take (after tax of course).

After that the money goes to building a Bills Super Bowl champ. Problem is Terry and Kim don't give a flying eff about my new found wealth and aren't selling. 

So how do I make this happen?