McDermott's Judgement on offense is impaired.

6 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

And to think, he was McD's #1 choice for OC last year, then comes Dennison, now DaBoll. This really makes me think that this FO and HC have no clue as to how to approach the offensive side of the ball. I hope I am wrong and DaBoll proves with Anderson that his scheme will work with marginal QB talent as long as it is executed. After seeing Rosen get obliterated last night, it's a good thing that Allen can take a few weeks to recover and get some insight.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-fire-mike-mccoy-after-humiliating-effort-against-broncos-byron-leftwich-named-oc/

Another OC made by Manning. Now that said The Bills should hire him tomorrow as a QB coach 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

The overall message of the OP, that McDermott and co are inept at judging the offensive side of the ball seems to be pretty accurate.  I worry that they're someone fearful of innovative offenses, particularly because they like to stick to what they know.  Nothing about the Bills offense, under either of the last two OC's could be described as innovative.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, TheBeane said:

What was Rosen obligated to do last night?  Throw some pick 6's???

I hate autocorrect.  I think the people that code that are just screwing with us.  "Look, if they type in 'form', it autocorrects to 'fart'.  Giggle, giggle."

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

And to think, he was McD's #1 choice for OC last year, then comes Dennison, now DaBoll. This really makes me think that this FO and HC have no clue as to how to approach the offensive side of the ball. I hope I am wrong and DaBoll proves with Anderson that his scheme will work with marginal QB talent as long as it is executed. After seeing Rosen get obliterated last night, it's a good thing that Allen can take a few weeks to recover and get some insight.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-fire-mike-mccoy-after-humiliating-effort-against-broncos-byron-leftwich-named-oc/

Yup you're right, The fact that McD and FO wanted to hire this guy shows how clueless they truly are.

Wait, wasn't it more the posters here all wanted the Bills to hire McCoy?  Hard to believe as knowledgeable as all the posters here think they are.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not just for continuity.  What decent OC would want to take this job when the previous OC was giving a QB that throws INT's at a historical rate, a raw rookie who wasn't supposed to start and a guy who was on vacation just 10 days ago....fired after 6 games?

Agreed.  Some people take football so seriously it's asinine. 

6 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Oh yes this will fix all Arizona's problems-----let's check back in week 16 & see where they're at.

I think it’s also fair to check in the week of Rosen’s funeral, if that happens to come sooner. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, aristocrat said:

wonder if daboll could get the boot if this week is a dud?

When you look things over the Buffalo Bills passing offense is actually way worse then the Cardinals and if you go by QBs, Peterman is as bad as Rosen, if not worse. 

The credit goes to Josh Allen for not turning the ball over more and not the OC because Peterman is a turnover machine. 

Right now Buffalo is the 32nd team in the NFL in total offense, 32nd in first downs, 32nd in passing, 18th in rushing but that is because McCoy is so special. Chris Ivory has a 2.5 YPC avg. Allen has a 4.4 YPC avg. LeSean McCoy is 30th in rushing yards with a 4.0 YPC avg and Shady should be a top five rusher except that the Bills OC didn't call his number very often in the first few games. 

Going back to the numbers Buffalo is 32nd in receiving. 

If the only QB on the roster was Nathanial Peterman I think Daboll would also have been fired by now! 

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not just for continuity.  What decent OC would want to take this job when the previous OC was giving a QB that throws INT's at a historical rate, a raw rookie who wasn't supposed to start and a guy who was on vacation just 10 days ago....fired after 6 games?

Fire OC Daboll, and line coach Juan Castillo and replace the OC with Terry Robiskie the WR coach, replace the line coach with assistant line coach Andrew Dees. These men couldn't do much worse.

This is results oriented business and having the very worst results should have consequences. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yup you're right, The fact that McD and FO wanted to hire this guy shows how clueless they truly are.

Wait, wasn't it more the posters here all wanted the Bills to hire McCoy?  Hard to believe as knowledgeable as all the posters here think they are.

I wanted McCoy one point was great. But having a falling out like Lovie Smith went out way

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I mean neither of you are making good points. McDermott wanted him, posters wanted him. So then are they both idiots?

McCoy turned down the Bills.

Why the ***** are we even talking about an OC that never worked for the Bills getting fired?

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Why the ***** are we even talking about an OC that never worked for the Bills getting fired?

Because the said OC was the #1 choice of our HC. This topic is about McDermott's ability to make intelligent decisions on the offensive side of the ball.

Here's our case history:

#1 - wants Mike McCoy as his OC - is turned down. (McCoy sh*ts the bed in Arizona and is fired)

#2 - hires Rico Dennison

#3 - passes on Patrick Mahomes

#4 - lets Goodwin, Woods, Watkins walk- drafts Zay Jones.

#5 - has a roster with 2 FB's ( DiMarco and Tolbert) and no dominant run game

#6 - goes into the season with Tyrod and Peterman

#7 - starts Peterman in playoff race- He throws 5 INT in ONE HALF- benched.

#8 - brings in Kelvin Benjamin as the WR savior

#9 - scores 3 points in a playoff game.

#10 - fires Rico, hires Dab

#11- loses 3 OL, brings in Newhouse, Bodine - starts Miller, Groy and Ducasse

#12 - fills WR needs with Foster, McCloud, Proehl, cuts Streater, keeps Holmes

#13 - brings in McCarron as his shiny new QB, passes on Bridgewater.

#14- ships McCarron out for a 5th

#15- starts Peterman a second time and gets his ass spanked 47-3

#16- forced to start his rookie and does not prepare for a backup plan in case of emergency.

#17-finds his QB in Derek Anderson who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 7 years.

And I am sure other posters can add to this growing list. This topic is meant to discuss whether we believe McDermott is capable of making any decisions that will lead to improvement on the offensive side of the ball. So far the offense has regressed into a shell of an already weak unit. 

With cap space and draft picks next year can we even trust that this FO can make the right moves.

• 1st Ammendment NoMas changed the title to Mike McCoy FIRED! - McDermott's Judgement on offense is impaired.
14 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

So you have no thoughts regarding McDermott's judgement of the offensive side of the ball. When someone is 0-3 in judgement, I throw up red flags.

Last time I checked, Brandon Beane was the GM so he’s responsible for bringing in players. 

Also, it’s clear that the team is focuses on three things up to this point:

1) get the best QB you can in the draft in 2018

2) get rid bad contracts and accumulate draft picks

3) improve the defense

now, you may not agree with the approach and that’s fine, but it’s obvious that’s the plan. They probably figured they team was closer to having an elite defense than offense so they focused on that. Or they thought there was better defensive talent in FA and the draft this year. 

I dont really know, but at least I get it. People should try to understand. It makes watching this year much more palatable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Being #32 out of 32 is not palatable no matter how you serve it or how you try to spice it up with some process.

I’m sure they could have done more within the constraints of their plan to be better on offense this year. But it really doesn’t matter if at the end of the year they are 32 on offense or 22.  

If they do nothing in this offseason to markedly improve the offense, then yes, I’ll be upset. But to get so upset that you get triggered when the HC of the cardinals gets fired and try to claim it’s proof that McDermott is a failure is laughable.  It’s the kind of drivel that’s making this board more unpalatable than the bills offense. 

Edited by dubs

11 minutes ago, dubs said:

I’m sure they could have done more within the constraints of their plan to be better on offense this year. But it really doesn’t matter if at the end of the year they are 32 on offense or 22.  

Being #32 or #22 could be the difference in ending up 6-10, 7-9 or finishing 9-7, 10-6.   A functional offense makes us 3-3, possibly 4-2 right now.  A functional offense in tight games wins field position battles, keeps the defense from wearing out in the 4th, gives your top kicker a chance to win games. . The #22 offense right now is the Chicago Bears.  Give us the Bears offense and our D and we are keeping the streak of playoff appearances alive and challenging for the AFC East.   Give us the #32 offense and we are talking about a top 5 pick. 

Sorry man, but that is a huge difference moving up 10 spots on O.   Plus having the #22 offense would keep most of us relatively content with the "process" moving in the right direction.