McDermott's Judgement on offense is impaired.

And to think, McCoy was McD's #1 choice for OC last year, then comes Dennison, now DaBoll. This really makes me think that this FO and HC have no clue as to how to approach the offensive side of the ball. I hope I am wrong and DaBoll proves with Anderson that his scheme will work with marginal QB talent as long as it is executed. After seeing Rosen get obliterated last night, it's a good thing that Allen can take a few weeks to recover and get some insight.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-fire-mike-mccoy-after-humiliating-effort-against-broncos-byron-leftwich-named-oc/

Edit:  I added case history from a later post for sake of discussion.

Here's our case history:

#1 - wants Mike McCoy as his OC - is turned down. (McCoy sh*ts the bed in Arizona and is fired)

#2 - hires Rico Dennison

#3 - passes on Patrick Mahomes

#4 - lets Goodwin, Woods, Watkins walk- drafts Zay Jones.

#5 - has a roster with 2 FB's ( DiMarco and Tolbert) and no dominant run game

#6 - goes into the season with Tyrod and Peterman

#7 - starts Peterman in playoff race- He throws 5 INT in ONE HALF- benched.

#8 - brings in Kelvin Benjamin as the WR savior

#9 - scores 3 points in a playoff game.

#10 - fires Rico, hires Dab

#11- loses 3 OL, brings in Newhouse, Bodine - starts Miller, Groy and Ducasse

#12 - fills WR needs with Foster, McCloud, Proehl, cuts Streater, keeps Holmes

#13 - brings in McCarron as his shiny new QB, passes on Bridgewater.

#14- ships McCarron out for a 5th

#15- starts Peterman a second time and gets his ass spanked 47-3

#16- forced to start his rookie and does not prepare for a backup plan in case of emergency.

#17-finds his QB in Derek Anderson who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 7 years.

And I am sure other posters can add to this growing list. This topic is meant to discuss whether we believe McDermott is capable of making any decisions that will lead to improvement on the offensive side of the ball. So far the offense has regressed into a shell of an already weak unit. 

With cap space and draft picks next year can we even trust that this FO can make the right moves.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

And to think, he was McD's #1 choice for OC last year, then comes Dennison, now DaBoll. This really makes me think that this FO and HC have no clue as to how to approach the offensive side of the ball. I hope I am wrong and DaBoll proves with Anderson that his scheme will work with marginal QB talent as long as it is executed. After seeing Rosen get obligated last night, it's a good thing that Allen can take a few weeks to recover and get some insight.

What was Rosen obligated to do last night?  Throw some pick 6's???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Some coaches can’t perform outside of their wheelhouses. Some situations or challenges are simply out of their scope.

Let's hope this isn't the case for DaBoll. I'm still a skeptic, but praying I'm proven wrong.  Arizona sucked last night. And the worst part is that I had David Johnson as my lone Cardinal. Had he scored 3 more points, I would have won about 2 grand, instead I won $40 on Fan Duel. I'm digging these flex format games. 

Edited by BillsRdue

It's pretty clear McD wants an experienced OC so he can be hands off on the offense and delegate that.

IMO that's a self defeating prophesy, basically "good" experienced OCs are head coaches now, or aren't going to leave for our situation.  So by limiting to experienced OCs and not taking a chance on lower position coaches, we are hiring into a scheme that's failed somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's pretty clear McD wants an experienced OC so he can be hands off on the offense and delegate that.

IMO that's a self defeating prophesy, basically "good" experienced OCs are head coaches now, or aren't going to leave for our situation.  So by limiting to experienced OCs and not taking a chance on lower position coaches, we are hiring into a scheme that's failed somewhere else.

Just pick up the failed head coaches that were always great coordinators, to be our coordinators. Seems to work well - did for us with Schwartz at least. Pick up a failed head coach who was always a great OC to be our OC - less likely they get sought after by other teams with a lackluster track record as an HC. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

He was decent as OC in Denver with Kyle Orton and later Tim Tebow as his QB's.  That's why he got the HC gig at San Diego.  

Then, his schemes become stale and easy to defend, and he runs out of new ideas to adjust the offense to keep it effective. As a result, he gets fired again and again.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, COTC said:

There were rumblings just two day ago about this.  Thank God McD didn’t hire him initially. 

Hopefully Dabs is next...

It wouldn’t be a good look for McD if he fires 2 OCs in 2 years. Probably wouldn’t be good for Allen either having to learn another offense.

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

wonder if daboll could get the boot if this week is  adud?

Though i wasn’t initially a fan of the hire, i can’t even fathom that. He’s now had to prepare 3 different QBs to start a game in 7 weeks, one a raw rookie and one with no TC who was sitting on a beach 10 days ago. He has limited talent to work with as well. Firing him right now would be ridiculous. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It wouldn’t be a good look for McD if he fires 2 OCs in 2 years. Probably wouldn’t be good for Allen either having to learn another offense.

We sorely need that second head coach leading the offense though. Looks like McD would very much like to just leave that entire half of the team to a competent playcaller, and it's very much needed. But I doubt Daboll goes after the offense we have this year, while a good amount of it is on him, he'll be able to ride the rookie qb train for this year at least.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1