If Derek Anderson and this defense begin to win games.....?

Rebel101

Lets assume we win next 4 games (including against NE) and our record is 6-4, do we really want to go back to Allen this year who throws 150 yd per game.  As long as we are winning, i will be #1 fan of Anderson.  However, that is highly unlikely so we don't need to worry.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, kkim0904 said:

Lets assume we win next 4 games (including against NE) and our record is 6-4, do we really want to go back to Allen this year who throws 150 yd per game.  As long as we are winning, i will be #1 fan of Anderson.  However, that is highly unlikely so we don't need to worry.

When you assume you ....

win the next 4 games ? LMFAO

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is an easy decision that Anderson will remain the starter if we win a couple games with him and he looks competent. But if we win games in spite of Anderson we might go back to Allen. 

Hoping Anderson capitalizes off of the defenses turnovers is asking a lot I think. Let's start with him just not turning the ball over himself. Four picks in his last two starts two seasons ago. 

4 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Why do people have faith in a career backup?

Who's 57 years old.

And never achieved anything when he was young.

Answer: Because they're Bills fans.  That's what we do.

If we didn't have hope and faith, we'd have very little.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority.  I don't feel that DA is going to play all that well.  Maybe a slight increase in offensive production but not much.  And who knows if he will be a turnover machine or not.  Hope he exceeds my expectations.

It won't matter whether Anderson or Allen are in there. We still have the worst wr's in the NFL.  And the defense will eventually get demoralized.  Play Anderson the rest of the year,  regardless of whether you think we can win or not.  Let Josh learn from the sidelines. 

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority.  I don't feel that DA is going to play all that well.  Maybe a slight increase in offensive production but not much.  And who knows if he will be a turnover machine or not.  Hope he exceeds my expectations.

DA has a career passer rating above 70.  NP has a career passer rating below 30.  I think the positivity around DA is relative.  

Guest Mike147
5 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

This the statement. What do you think the Buffalo Bills should do. But also what do you think the Buffalo Bills will do. I think with our defense and a veteran QB the team has a chance to succeed. I believe Anderson will capitalize off turnovers and win us a few games. It is a tough spot though because you have already started developing Josh Allen. I believe the Bills FO has to put his development as the top priority. So should he sit and learn and how how a QB can succeed in this league? Or should they put him back out there and let him take his lumps? I believe Anderson should play as long as he can if he is winning. But I also believe the Bills will put Allen back in no matter what the outcome is of Anderson’s run as a starter.

Derek Anderson has never proven to be an NFL quality starting quarterback in his career to date. He had one decent(ish) year but even that wasn't particularly great considering the stat line he posted. If the guy steps in and wins a few games, good on him, but all that proves is that all we need is a quarterback that can move the chains and get the offense going. All it shows is that the front office potentially made the wrong decision in getting rid of Tyrod Taylor because despite his shortcomings we did make it to the play offs with his style of play combined with good defense. 

Will sitting on the bench teach Josh Allen to be an accurate quarterback? I doubt it. We drafted a mid-50s PCT guy and that is going to be difficult for him to improve on in the NFL. We might have to accept a similar PCT to someone like Cam Newton (generally sub-60), but you can win with that as Cam Newton has shown, Allen just needs to make use of his arm talent and athletic ability. Sitting Allen isn't going to help significantly, what will is being out there with a better supporting cast and learning the ropes first hand. At the end of the day being accurate is great but as a friend highlighted to me the other day (he's a Broncos fan), John Elway only completed three seasons with a pass completion above 60 in his career, and that guy is in the hall of fame and won two out of five Super Bowl appearances. Granted different era but with the right supporting cast we can have success with Allen even though he's unlikely to become one of the more accurate quarterbacks in the league. 

5 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

This the statement. What do you think the Buffalo Bills should do. But also what do you think the Buffalo Bills will do. I think with our defense and a veteran QB the team has a chance to succeed. I believe Anderson will capitalize off turnovers and win us a few games. It is a tough spot though because you have already started developing Josh Allen. I believe the Bills FO has to put his development as the top priority. So should he sit and learn and how how a QB can succeed in this league? Or should they put him back out there and let him take his lumps? I believe Anderson should play as long as he can if he is winning. But I also believe the Bills will put Allen back in no matter what the outcome is of Anderson’s run as a starter.

If Anderson beats the Colts and somehow gets a win over the Patriots he will not be taking out.  I don't see this happening but if this long shot occurs then Allen IMO will not be put back in right away.  

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It won't matter whether Anderson or Allen are in there. We still have the worst wr's in the NFL.  And the defense will eventually get demoralized.  Play Anderson the rest of the year,  regardless of whether you think we can win or not.  Let Josh learn from the sidelines. 

My guess is our bad wide receivers look a lot better this week.  I remember our offensive line years ago looked horrible and Rob Johnson got sacked a billion times.  Then Flutie comes in an our line looks very good because Flutie knew how to throw on time and didn't hold the ball.  

1 hour ago, offsides#76FredSmerlas said:

If Anderson beats the Colts and somehow gets a win over the Patriots he will not be taking out.  I don't see this happening but if this long shot occurs then Allen IMO will not be put back in right away.  

My guess is our bad wide receivers look a lot better this week.  I remember our offensive line years ago looked horrible and Rob Johnson got sacked a billion times.  Then Flutie comes in an our line looks very good because Flutie knew how to throw on time and didn't hold the ball.  

Idon't necessarily agree with the bolded. Flutie could escape pressure very well, however, IMO he did have a better ball when he was passing and seemed to be on target a little more. When you can escape pressure your line looks "better" and Flutie was one of the masters at it.

But I yes, I do think Flutie was overall a better QB than Johnson by a long shot.

12 year career.

60 TD’s

60 INT’s

In one year he had half of those TD passes. 10 years ago.

Remind me again why anyone expects this guy to be any good? Or even remotely servicible?

The most likely outcome is that he is real bad and the Bills are stuck with him until Allen returns.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

12 year career.

60 TD’s

60 INT’s

Remind me again why anyone expects this guy to be any good? Or even remotely servicible?

The most likely outcome is that he is real bad and the Bills are stuck with him until Allen returns.

Or until McDimwit puts in his love child, Nate, again.

You know it's coming, one way or the other.  

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

12 year career.

60 TD’s

60 INT’s

McD knows him. 

1 hour ago, Mike147 said:

Derek Anderson has never proven to be an NFL quality starting quarterback in his career to date. He had one decent(ish) year but even that wasn't particularly great considering the stat line he posted. If the guy steps in and wins a few games, good on him, but all that proves is that all we need is a quarterback that can move the chains and get the offense going. All it shows is that the front office potentially made the wrong decision in getting rid of Tyrod Taylor because despite his shortcomings we did make it to the play offs with his style of play combined with good defense. 

Will sitting on the bench teach Josh Allen to be an accurate quarterback? I doubt it. We drafted a mid-50s PCT guy and that is going to be difficult for him to improve on in the NFL. We might have to accept a similar PCT to someone like Cam Newton (generally sub-60), but you can win with that as Cam Newton has shown, Allen just needs to make use of his arm talent and athletic ability. Sitting Allen isn't going to help significantly, what will is being out there with a better supporting cast and learning the ropes first hand. At the end of the day being accurate is great but as a friend highlighted to me the other day (he's a Broncos fan), John Elway only completed three seasons with a pass completion above 60 in his career, and that guy is in the hall of fame and won two out of five Super Bowl appearances. Granted different era but with the right supporting cast we can have success with Allen even though he's unlikely to become one of the more accurate quarterbacks in the league. 

You should really be Josh Allen's PR guy.

This post allowed me to entertain the possibility that Allen could eventually be an effective NFL QB.

Well done.

The Bills are already 2-4 with two games left against NE.  Derek Anderson is not good enough to go 7-1 or 8-0 in the remaining games.  (I don't even think he's good enough to go 4-4 in those remaining games but this what-if scenario assumes he is winning games)  But either way playoffs are likely off the table.  

What I'd like to see happen is to put Allen back in there as soon as it is safe to do so.   What I think will actually happen is if DA has this team at 4-5 or 5-4 heading into the bye that McD will keep him as the starter out of respect to the rest of the players on the roster.   

If Anderson has some unlikely late career transformation and has the team 6-4 heading into the bye I would probably have to change my opinion though.