If Derek Anderson and this defense begin to win games.....?

Rebel101

Just now, Rebel101 said:

Oh so the way Allen has played this year you want him to play for the rest of his career? You will be okay with that then? You know we have a historically bad offense right? We are ranked 32. There are only 32 to teams and the Cardinals are 31st who are better then is by a decent margin. Everything you say sir is complete crap lol

I didn't say that, and now you're just being a fool.  Allen is progressing, just like any of the other rookies.  All these rookie QBs will have ups and downs as they learn the position.

Quit acting like an idiot.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Go back like I did and watch each offensive play against the Texans.  You will see he got the ball out quicker, was more accurate than earlier games.  No denying it if you actually watch.

Ohhhhh ONE game.......thanks

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

This is a joke. If he was so good why didn't he beat Cam out?

No one said Anderson is good. Did I say that? I said he will be better then Allen. Their are college QBs right now that are better then Allen. Derek Anderson has more football knowledge then Allen. That isn’t even up for debate. Allen one day hopefully will be great. But he is not yet he has led the offense to historically bad numbers 

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

This the statement. What do you think the Buffalo Bills should do. But also what do you think the Buffalo Bills will do. I think with our defense and a veteran QB the team has a chance to succeed. I believe Anderson will capitalize off turnovers and win us a few games. It is a tough spot though because you have already started developing Josh Allen. I believe the Bills FO has to put his development as the top priority. So should he sit and learn and how how a QB can succeed in this league? Or should they put him back out there and let him take his lumps? I believe Anderson should play as long as he can if he is winning. But I also believe the Bills will put Allen back in no matter what the outcome is of Anderson’s run as a starter.

Then we have the discussion of is Anderson the next Kurt Warner...

I have a feeling ALOT of people are going to be disappointed come Sunday afternoon when the realize Anderson isn’t Montana.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Josh Allen has been so bad that Derek Anderson is considered an upgrade. Yikes

Temporarily.  Let's say this slowly for all:

Allen.  Is.  A.  Rookie.  Rookie.  QBs. Have.  to.  Learn.

I know you know this bang; it's more directed at some of the other guys around here that think Allen should be the second coming of MArino this year. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There are many pieces of the “historically bad offense” puzzle. Allen is one piece. Replacing that one piece with Anderson isn’t going to make a difference. I don’t care how “experienced” Anderson is.

Allen had four full games. He passed for less than 100 yards in one of them. Somehow that has led to a weirdly common “Right now it's hard for Allen to break 100 yards passing in legit time” perception here.

Which in turn has led to a belief that literally anyone else at QB would turn this offense around.

It’s pretty absurd.

It’s pretty absurd that you don’t think the knowledge that Anderson brings is an upgrade over Allen. Some of the reason Allen has been so bad is because of a lot of the things he lacks mentally so far as it comes to football

Just now, Rebel101 said:

No one said Anderson is good. Did I say that? I said he will be better then Allen. Their are college QBs right now that are better then Allen. Derek Anderson has more football knowledge then Allen. That isn’t even up for debate. Allen one day hopefully will be great. But he is not yet he has led the offense to historically bad numbers 

Better than Allen is a low bar. Maybe he will. But that doesn't mean they will become magically better and have an NFL offense. Anderson is a career backup and he will most likely struggle to move the offense.

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Then we have the discussion of is Anderson the next Kurt Warner...

I have a feeling ALOT of people are going to be disappointed come Sunday afternoon when the realize Anderson isn’t Montana.

No one is saying Anderson is good. I’m saying he will at least be able to diagnose things better then Allen which in turn will lead to less mistakes which should lead to a somewhat better offense

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

Better than Allen is a low bar. Maybe he will. But that doesn't mean they will become magically better and have an NFL offense. Anderson is a career backup and he will most likely struggle to move the offense.

Guess we will have to wait and see

1 minute ago, Rebel101 said:

It’s pretty absurd that you don’t think the knowledge that Anderson brings is an upgrade over Allen. Some of the reason Allen has been so bad is because of a lot of the things he lacks mentally so far as it comes to football

It's meaningless. Marginal at best. Can Anderson play starting football is the only question. So far his career says no.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Oh... you’re “expecting” to win? That’s your first problem. This year isn’t about winning to a logical person. 

Thats not my problem. I responded to the OP, who said: “I thinkwith our defense and a veteran QB the team has a chance to succeed. I believe Anderson will capitalize off turnovers and win us a few games.

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There are many pieces of the “historically bad offense” puzzle. Allen is one piece. Replacing that one piece with Anderson isn’t going to make a difference. I don’t care how “experienced” Anderson is.

Allen had four full games. He passed for less than 100 yards in one of them. Somehow that has led to a weirdly common “Right now it's hard for Allen to break 100 yards passing in legit time” perception here.

Which in turn has led to a belief that literally anyone else at QB would turn this offense around.

It’s pretty absurd.

Which is why I said "legit time".  The only game going into the 4th quarter where he had more than 100 yards was Minnesota.

Down by multiple scores against both GB and LAC which lead to him breaking 100 yards.  He had 83 in the Texans game before getting hurt.  We weren't moving the ball at all with him in there.

He had 82 total against the Titans.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Temporarily.  Let's say this slowly for all:

Allen.  Is.  A.  Rookie.  Rookie.  QBs. Have.  to.  Learn.

I know you know this bang; it's more directed at some of the other guys around here that think Allen should be the second coming of MArino this year. 

I’m not saying Allen won’t get better. I believe with time and dedication he will. That’s not what this post was about. It was a question that if Anderson plays well. Do the Bills keep him in or bring Allen back and I think maybe 2 people have answered the question lol

19 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No, of course he hasn’t been good. But he also hasn’t been a “complete failure” and completely inferior to a random bum they just signed off the couch a week ago.

He hasn’t been a complete failure? He has led the team to the worst offense seen throughout the league in years. 2018 teams are averaging 30 points a game. Josh Allen I believe has thrown 2 TDs. He is young and hopefully will get a lot better in years to come but so far he has been a failure and has proven he shouldn’t have even been named a starting NFL QB so early. Prove me otherwise 

• Like (+1) 1

Your scenario (if it pans out, which I actually hope he does win us some games, obviously) would equal short term gain for long term pain, because every snap/rep that JA sits out as a healthy scratch, is one more rep he will have to gain in additional development time once he inevitably does start again. And no matter how great DA does in spot duty, he's never more than a band aid temp fix, even if it's through the rest of this year. Originally, I was ok with NP (or whoever else was going to win the QB competition out of camp) starting the year and going for as long as success would dictate, before turning to JA as the franchise heir--was always a big believer in a newbie sitting behind an older starter he could learn from and be eased into this (although a more established veteran even for that first plan would've been nice). However, this would not be going back to that starting line--too much has happened. Now that JA's actually started games, he needs to see it through as soon as healthy. Otherwise, his confidence, growth curve,  morale and overall respect of his teammates for him at the position all suffer IMHO. 

Here's a formula that resulted in 2 Super Bowl championships:

In Eli Manning's rookie year he sat the1st 9 games.  He then came in and started the final 7.  The Giants with HOFer Kurt Warner at QB benched Warner who had led the Giants to a 5-4 record but they had lost their last 2 games.  Coughlin gave up any shot at the playoffs to put a raw rookie in in place of the veteran.  Manning was horrible his 1st 4 games and then the light came on in his 5th start.  Manning worked a lot of bugs out his rookie year as the Giants faded from playoff contention. 

Get Allen as many starts as possible for the long term good of the team.  The goal is to win a Super Bowl down the road, not try to get closer to .500 with a 2-4 current record team.  

12 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Knowledge doesn’t throw touchdowns. If it did Sean McVay would be a starting NFL quarterback right now instead of Rams Head Coach.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Seriously dude, after the Bills play the Colts, they face NE, Chicago, the Jets, and Jacksonville.  Even if you allow them a fighting chance against the Jets (I wouldn't at this point but it's the most likely), Derek Anderson is never going to develop a "hot hand" against the Pats, the Bears, and the Jags.  Not happening.

So mostly, we should be happy that someone else will be taking the beating instead of Allen against those teams.

• Like (+1) 1